GRAND OPENING New 45mm running track in St.Neots Riverside Miniature Railway

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Things do not go off the wall quite as much as this one. I have in the last 2 weeks been helping out this new Miniature Railway on Track Laying. The line is a conventional sort of affair in a superb site by the River in St.Neots just behind the Ambience Cafe on the Eatin Ford side of the River. There is to be 5inch and 7.25inch Track and this is what I was helping to make up last week and the week before. Now me being me as I looked at the difference between the gages rail I thought it was hellishly close to 45mm. A quick check with the Swiss Card proved it to be so. Next day I took a Bachmann Set of Wheels to try and they indeed ran superbly. Thursday and today I took my Battrey Wizzy Cranks down for a test and the following Vid is the result of todays test running.

A couple of points to note please:-
This only works because of the Size of Rail that is being used at this site a wider or narrower profile would just not be the correct gauge.

As the line is being built there would not be a particular welcome at the moment for unexpected visiting G Scale Locomotives. However in the future the group will be looking at the possibility of G Scale running days. Either Battery or Live Steam.

The other problem will be Points Frogs and Gauge Changeover Locations as there are to be 2 loops on this line joined at the outside witha central crossover. I am thinking about the possibility of some kind of Gap Jumping joiners for G Scale running.

Watch this space.
JonD

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
You didn't try a Model Engineering driving trolley behind it then?
:eek:;):giggle::giggle:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
You didn't try a Model Engineering driving trolley behind it then?
:eek:;):giggle::giggle:
No could not find a converter coupling to join it. One day perhaps!
JonD

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
I usually use an old paperclip!!!!!:think::giggle:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Nice!!

How 'bout passing a point..?
That will be a real issue that LGB Profiled Wheels will have a problem with. But as of now there is only one point only the 7.25 Inch Track to get stock out of the Station (very tarted up Shipping Container) to the existing still in production running track. When we get proper points I will be putting my mind to that issue, early thoughts are for a set of L Shaped Sections to allow 45mm Trains to bridge the Gaps. These would of course be temporary whilst 45mm runnning is taking place. All these ideas are my own but I know that the Management behind the project are keen about the 3rd Gauge running at appropriate times.

As for the Railway itself, there was a low key official Opening this Sunday and over 500 availed themselves of the ride at a fare of 50p. All of this will go to the coffers for the continuing build. The Line will be opening on fates this Summer. Sorry did not note the dates today when I visited but hopefully will be present on the Webb Site.

http://riversiderailway.co.uk

JonD

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I have thought about this (crossing 45mm and 7 1/4")...

Could you have the 45mm raised above the 7 1/4" on a 'sprung' support?? - My idea being the weight of the larger stock would push it down..

My guess is wear from the hammering of the big-stuff would be a problem??

Other thought is to raise / lower the 45mm using a 'point lever'..

I have these daft ideas sometimes! :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
I have thought about this (crossing 45mm and 7 1/4")...

Could you have the 45mm raised above the 7 1/4" on a 'sprung' support?? - My idea being the weight of the larger stock would push it down..

My guess is wear from the hammering of the big-stuff would be a problem??

Other thought is to raise / lower the 45mm using a 'point lever'..

I have these daft ideas sometimes! :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks for the thoughts, but I am thinking something less technical in the view of an overlay (gap filler) made from L shaped Brass Strip with a simple thin metal strap to hold in place. No doubt between sessions they will get lost in the chaos that is the Shipping Container Store, but will be easy to make and I will probably do more than needed. Still more time to think it over as it will probably be some 6 or so Months before the 1st Circle is completed. G and the larger stuff will never run at the same time.

In the meantime if anyone would like to make a donation to the Railway, track is £25 per Yard with a dedication plaque and 10 free rides. Use the Webb Site for contact if you do. Link on Post #11.
JonD

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
The RMR will be having its Grand Opening from 1000 each day May 12th and 13th. No G Scale running just good old 5 and 7.25”.

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
And Donnigton and 'Steam on the Dock' at Liverpool. One thing I'm absolutely certain of . . . . . .

I won't make it to all of them! :shake::shake: :think::think: :D:D

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
No could not find a converter coupling to join it. One day perhaps!
JonD
Hmmm, let's see now. I have a K-28 live steamer, not the one in the video. You've got access to the track and possibly somebody with a riding trailer to loan. I don't live too far from St Neots. Just need the coupling sorting............ :think::rofl:Max

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Normal practice for that is a length of chain..

You may need to 'kick-off', just to get yourself rolling. - Very easy to strip something..