Gradients when laying track

ASG

Trains, Old Motorbikes, Beekeeping
2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Has anybody had experience of laying track with a slight gradient (10-15 degrees) I want to run my track through a rockery, which has stone steps at one end. I plan to used some clay pipe as a tunnel through the steps but one end will be slightly higher than the other. The loco being used is an aristocraft class 66 so I hope power to get up the slope won't be a problem.

regards
Andrew

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I would have thiught this is steep. Normal reccomendation is 2% with a maximum of 4% 1.e. 4 units rise in 100. Have kept all mine to the former. Do not have the experience to comment on individual locos

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi ASG , i had the same problem a while back -and to test the gradient for requirements - (i use 1 in 40" ) i got a piece of wood 10 ft as used for decking , layed it out on the garage floor with said track on top put 1" pieces of wood under one end (in my case 3 ) for 10 ft = 1/40 then ran all my locos , with the wagons or amount of coaches, you want as a normal train length hope this helps regards Dave

ASG

Trains, Old Motorbikes, Beekeeping
2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Hi Dave
Thanks for the advice, I will try setting up a short oval on the drive today as the drive is on a slope and see what happens. I'm hoping the gradient will be OK it's just the point at which the track changes to a gradiant to a flat again as this is a small area where I want the engine shed, etc to be as it's next to the house but a confined space.
Andrew

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Andrew
I have two severe gradients on my layout due to the fact that the garden slopes up from the house and putting the track into cuts was not an option. The gradient does reach almost 1 in 20. I use double and triple heading with USA Trains as they have traction tyres and with locos that do not double head, I use rolling stock with added traction-tyred power trucks to add oomph! With three locos a good long string of cars is possible as is five or six aluminium passenger cars. Not only does it overcome the gradient , it also looks pretty good too.
74c349aaeb4341bdb12cb17f4f2c8f9e.jpg

57fbb7f9550441a28e66c0ffbee10fcb.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 1 in 30 gradient to allow one lne to cross another. Bachmann Big Haulers will pull a rake of three or four carriages, the Spectrum range wouldn't knock the skin off s rice pudding on this gradient. I have an Aristo Rodgers 2-4-2 that will pull two or three coaches up it. I had thought of a radio controlled banker to assist the more feeble locos!
Mick

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The Aristo class 66 is a reasonably heavy model with four motors so I would expect it to perform well on a reasonable gradient. When you decide on the gradient please bear in mind that you may add to your collection of locos and your line may play host to less capable visiting locos.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Hi Andrew
I have two severe gradients on my layout due to the fact that the garden slopes up from the house and putting the track into cuts was not an option. The gradient does reach almost 1 in 20. I use double and triple heading with USA Trains as they have traction tyres and with locos that do not double head, I use rolling stock with added traction-tyred power trucks to add oomph! With three locos a good long string of cars is possible as is five or six aluminium passenger cars. Not only does it overcome the gradient , it also looks pretty good too.

Whooops!
I really meant that my layout is actually it peaks at a 20% grade which is really 1 in 5 and not 1 in 20!
Everything else that I said still stands though
0e80f4d6ffcb4f889efcbccc882d2e3e.jpg

589796f1c7bb435d8e5db964c3cc162f.jpg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
if you go steeper than 3%, put some additional weight in your locos.

you might get a Stainz (with a pound of lead in it) to draw one or two short cars up a 7 or 8% grade.
but if you want to run longer trains or (heaven forbid!) locos from northamerican manufacturers, stay under 3% (and in curves even less!)

exception: rack-locos

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
korm kormsen said:
but if you want to run longer trains or (heaven forbid!) locos from northamerican manufacturers,

Do I take it Korm, that you are not a devotee of American outline???:thumbdown:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Extra weight in a loco will certainly help on gradients

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
As many members of this forum know, I have a very scientific way of building inclines on my layout - try to keep inclines to "half-a-bubble" on my spirit level :clap: . In one or two places the incline does reach "three quarters-of-a-bubble" which does limit the lengths of trains that some locos can haul :banghead:.

The incline on the attached pic was made using the above method:D

62addb0136b746ea949c1746dc7069aa.jpg

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
....and will be used when I get round to completing this incline:clap:

37985cdcc33e4d279033c221e935ea79.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Keith, but we still do not know much about this bubble. Is it imperial or metric. Is it EU approved. or is it just any old goldfish fart?:happy:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Love the bridge - really neat! Look forward to more on your line Keith,
Mick

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Alan,

It's a bubble!!.....one of those things with nothing in it:clap:

Maybe one day I'll publish a tutorial on bubble usage:happy:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
korm kormsen said:
but if you want to run longer trains or (heaven forbid!) locos from northamerican manufacturers,

Do I take it Korm, that you are not a devotee of American outline???:thumbdown:

to the contrary! each and every layout i ever had was themed for northamerica in the middle of the 19th century.
but i am definitely no devotee of the quality standard of north american toys.
i prefer to americanize good old LGB or Playmobil.

loks2.JPG

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies Korm
I have quite a bit of USA Trains and some Aristo and found the USAT locos bomb proof. I had a couple of LGB a mogul and a forney and they were not up to the task but the Uintah Mallet and Sumpter Mallet are something else. With an extra set of traction wheels they eat up the 15-20% grades just like in real life.
As to adding weight to locos, whatever brand......a good idea except for the trade off with grip against stripping cogs off gear wheels. If a loco is fairly heavy to begin with a little more weight is okay but traction tyres (a swear word to some ears) are worth their weight in gold for tough gradients.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
ASG said:
Has anybody had experience of laying track with a slight gradient (10-15 degrees) I want to run my track through a rockery, which has stone steps at one end. I plan to used some clay pipe as a tunnel through the steps but one end will be slightly higher than the other. The loco being used is an aristocraft class 66 so I hope power to get up the slope won't be a problem.

regards
Andrew

Bit steep. :D

10 degrees slope=17.6% grade=1:5.7
15 degrees slope=26.7% grade=1:3.7

You most likely don't want more than 3>4degrees tops
3 degrees is approx 5% grade.