Garden Railways (Magazine)

• Thread starter Gavin Sowry
  • Start date
Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Changes afoot Stateside. Kalmbach is to reduce the frequency of Garden Railways to quarterly starting next year. They are also bringing all staff 'inhouse'..... no more remotely located editorial staff.
December issue will be Marc Horovitz's last as Editor.

I for one, would like to publicly acknowledge the effort Marc has put into Garden Railways over the last 35 years, thank him, and wish him well.

Railfan

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Cheers for Marc! He has supported garden railways with intelligent and thoughtful reviews and articles. It has always been a pleasure to meet him when he has visited our local garden railway meets.

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
ditto, great guy and the hobby owes him a lot, Bill

Martino

Martino

Kit bashing, The UK narrow gauge, The GWR, Aviatio
Agreed. Marc has been a superb ambassador and evangelist for garden railways.

As far as Garden Railways itself is concerned, I’m probably one of the causes of its reduction in frequency as I canceled my subscription a year or so ago. It was becoming the same every month and the majority of the layouts featured and the projects are consistently similar. Unfortunately not having an interest in US outline stuff, it meant less and less to me. Garden Rail on the other hand appeals more to me, along with 16mm Today.
I do feel that the hobby over here is much different than back in The Old Country. I think that applies to all scales and gauges. It’s not a bad thing, just different.
Support is different too. In the UK there appear to be more suppliers of ‘stuff’ - from little bits and bobs though stock kits, buildings, locos, livecsteam as well as other types, than in the whole of the US. The plethora of small UK suppliers and manufacturers that appear to keep Garden Rail going are not replicated across the whole of North America.

It’s a pity, but such is life.

ARIA31

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
I am possibly also questioning my renewal next year if nothing change. I have a lack of interest since the last 3 issues.

One of the reasons of this situation with what was this wonderful magazine , from my point of view, is the litlle space allowed to advertising companies. Not the big ones , but all the smaller size companies, you see these small areas of some limited square centimeters. Instead of having this unreadable areas, a much bigger size would justify other companies to advertise to show their products.
Then I believe more space allowed to new hardware products (engines and rolling stock) would have help.
The money is there , so not supportting with a wider space, the new products released by LGB, USA Trains , Bachmnn, Piko, MTH is detrimental to the magazine.

USA trains is releasing fully new products , so we have to settle for only this post stamp picture, in the magazine ... ????

Reactions: Simon
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I am possibly also questioning my renewal next year if nothing change. I have a lack of interest since the last 3 issues.

One of the reasons of this situation with what was this wonderful magazine , from my point of view, is the litlle space allowed to advertising companies. Not the big ones , but all the smaller size companies, you see these small areas of some limited square centimeters. Instead of having this unreadable areas, a much bigger size would justify other companies to advertise to show their products.
Then I believe more space allowed to new hardware products (engines and rolling stock) would have help.
The money is there , so not supportting with a wider space, the new products released by LGB, USA Trains , Bachmnn, Piko, MTH is detrimental to the magazine.

USA trains is releasing fully new products , so we have to settle for only this post stamp picture, in the magazine ... ????
I think this is a symptom of those laying out magazines having big (at least twice as big as page-size) back-lit monitors?

You get the same in computer mags. - A screen-shot to illustrate a point, fitted into a column-width of the magazine.

I bet it looks fine on their big display? - They need to be made to try to read the finished item.

Reactions: Trainman 864
dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
My October issue came the other day. First thoughts were "isn't it thin". Didn't seem to be much in it at all. The renewal is due at the end of the year but I don't think I will bother.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
My October issue came the other day. First thoughts were "isn't it thin". Didn't seem to be much in it at all.
.....my main interest was page 31. :blush:

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
USA trains is releasing fully new products ...
Noted. My Daughter is heavily into this Halloween racket, might have to hide latest issue (even though my layout features). I'd like the cars they have just done, but, a man has a budget.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
As I look to your picture page 31 , your box cars string might be a kind of incitement for your daugter .... !!!
Um, she is 'middle aged'.

ARIA31

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Sad info on issue 12 -2018 :finger: :finger:

109231_5559c15f8256c44d259b7b550aabb290.jpg

Marc prepared very well his departure with the DVD gathering all previous released issue until 2015. Thanks to him.

Eaglecliff

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
I have only just picked up my December issue and hadn’t seen these earlier comments. Like others, I had noticed the “slimming down,” and in view of the recent or forthcoming closures of several UK garden railway traders, and the situation with Bachmann, I begin to fear for the survival of our hobby. Garden Rail perhaps bucks the trend, but tends to concentrate more on live steam, which isn’t for me. Be that as it may, I must express my own thanks to Marc for his sterling work over the years and his prompt and courteous response to a couple of idiot-boy queries I raised with him a year or two back. It would be good to hear more from him when he has had an opportunity to find a new niche within the hobby, failing which I can only reiterate my respect and gratitude for his achievements and wish him all the best for the future.

Eaglecliff

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Interesting, certainly, but not my thing, I’m afraid.

Eaglecliff

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
I’m confused. If the above were referring to me, I did indeed see that MH is the editor. What am I supposed to have asked, Sean? My comment was simply that automata are not my thing, end of story. My admiration and gratitude for the man remain unaffected.

artfull dodger

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana
I have many issues of Garden Railways, back when Marc not only edited it but also published it before the Kalmbach came into the picture. Even though many of those issues are thin and black in white with only the outer/inner cover in color, the wealth of info, projects and info is pricesless. It was more like Garden Rail back then. Many issues are effecting the thickness/quality of the issue, some of them internal decisions by the publisher and some of the hobby itself and the move for the younger generation to online based material vs printed material. I only wish one of the larger bookstores in the USA would carry Garden Rail. A subscription is a bit salty for us in the USA, but I would love to pick up an issue here and there when funds permit. But back to the topic. Thank you Marc for the many great years and I hope to see you again at some of the steam up's here in the USA. You can see your Regner Stainz under steam pulling some LGB coaches. Mike and Michele T