Garden railways - A comfort zone ?

whatlep

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Stainzmeister - 14/11/2009 1:01 PM

I find that my garden railway is like a form of refuge or sanctuary for me.
Spot on Paul! :clap:

About 6/7 years ago I went through a really grim patch at work. I found that getting out into the fresh air and tinkering with G Scale was the main way I could get the bile out of my system, rather than taking it out on the family. A bit of hard physical exercise while seeing your boss's face on the end of whatever you're beating heck out of is remarkably satsifying too..... ;)

S

seanlisle

Trains and living history
26 Oct 2009
Somerset England
I totally agree. After a hard day at work I need a few minutes / hours with the trains to calm down a bit. How can running a few trains around a track be so good for you ?

S

seanlisle

26 Oct 2009
Somerset England
You may be right....most stress comes from not being in control of the circumstances surrounding you I have been told.

spike

spike

It's me
seanlisle - 14/11/2009 2:59 PM

I totally agree. After a hard day at work I need a few minutes / hours with the trains to calm down a bit. How can running a few trains around a track be so good for you ?
As soon as I'm out of the office I switch off :sleep:

but the railway allows me get lost in my own little World where thats all I care about :clap:

whatlep

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
seanlisle - 14/11/2009 3:04 PM

....most stress comes from not being in control of the circumstances surrounding you I have been told.
Mrs Whatlep says I can tell you that you're right. :rofl: :timeout:

S

seanlisle

26 Oct 2009
Somerset England
I usually switch off as well when I`m at home, but it`s always good to get away from it all in the garage for a few minutes.

S

seanlisle

26 Oct 2009
Somerset England
Or bashing a few engines into something else !

C

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
It's distraction, having something positive to enjoy and work on. SO much better than TV.

palmerston

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
whatlep - 14/11/2009 2:17 PM
A bit of hard physical exercise while seeing your boss's face on the end of whatever you're beating heck out of is remarkably satsifying too..... ;)
I used to do al lot of chain sawing. Think of the wood you are cutting is a person you are having difficulties with....

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Sometimes its like watching goldfish swim by - not sure why but its relaxing. :)

Bram

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Same here, have a think, a scratch a then a train comes trundling by - ah bliss

Dtsteam

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
<p>Have to be in the mood for model making, and rarely am just at the moment :yawn: </p><p>However the sure fire cure all for me is to fire up a steamer. A few mins gathering the bits, a few more for oil, water and gas. Light up and brew up. Get a train ready and off we go. Clean up, pack up. About forty minutes to an hour. Works every time. :) :) </p>

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
:) building a garden railways the 3rd best thing ive ever done, wify, kids 1,2nd...when im testing, or fettaling, its in my world, my rules, my speed, my deadlines... brew up, put up, shut up....... :rofl:

R

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Even if you're just spectating the garden railway is totally relaxing. Building and running it is even better. On more than one occasion when we had friends over they commented that it was mesmerizing. Especially at night with the lights in the coaches and a nice glass of wine ........ :sleep:

P

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
yes its my escape!

Ill come in from the workshop after a couple of hours and me parents will get on me back and Ill be like; ya know what Im just gonna go to the workshop for a couple hours......... hmm Im noticing a pattern :happy:

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Radish Bahn - 14/11/2009 11:36 PM

Even if you're just spectating the garden railway is totally relaxing. Building and running it is even better. On more than one occasion when we had friends over they commented that it was mesmerizing. Especially at night with the lights in the coaches and a nice glass of wine ........ :sleep:

Mesmerising, its easy to get mesmerised with a glass or two of wine. :rofl: :D

Bram

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
<p>
Radish Bahn - 14/11/2009 11:36 PM Even if you're just spectating the garden railway is totally relaxing. Building and running it is even better. On more than one occasion when we had friends over they commented that it was mesmerizing. Especially at night with the lights in the coaches and a nice glass of wine ........ :sleep:
</p><p>I always thought it was a spectator sport any road up:rofl: :rofl: </p>

KentKeith

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
For me, like many others, the garden railway is a comfort zone.....and an escape from the sometimes mad world outside the boundary of my property.

Caring for my Mum keeps me at home....and working in the garden on the railway keeps me occupied at home. I seem to be building rather than running....but maybe one day I will be able to sit down and watch the trains go round.

In the meantime I can relish the sight of the Glacier Express climbing the spirals and making it's way across the big bridge.....magic :clap: