Garden RailRoading eNews

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Just flicked through this, looks great! Plenty of interesting topics. I'm using my phone at the moment, which doesn't do it full justice, I'll read it properly on a tablet:clap::clap::clap:

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Hmm, not super happy they put you through Orangedox... (in case you don't like being tracked)

Orangedox talks about tracking:

Official garden newsletter web site:

And you can get more info than just the newsletter.

I'll be downloading it and putting on our club site so people don't need to be actively tracked.

Greg

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Australia
Thanks Greg, I will pass your comments and the direct link on to the local club organiser. Regards, Monty

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I'm very connected with the group directly, I was involved before it even went official.

I will contact Bill Derville directly, whose brainchild this is.

I understand the motivation to track who reads the newsletter, but I think it is common courtesy to let people know they are tracked if they download it. They just want statistics to know how many people have accessed it, but since the goal is to get advertisers, clearly only a fool would think those statistics would not be shared with model train manufacturers.

Again, all I will say is that there should be a note explaining this.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I'm very connected with the group directly, I was involved before it even went official.

I will contact Bill Derville directly, whose brainchild this is.

I understand the motivation to track who reads the newsletter, but I think it is common courtesy to let people know they are tracked if they download it. They just want statistics to know how many people have accessed it, but since the goal is to get advertisers, clearly only a fool would think those statistics would not be shared with model train manufacturers.

Again, all I will say is that there should be a note explaining this.

Greg
Unfortunately, its not just model manufacturers that will be able to use the data.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
Hmm, not super happy they put you through Orangedox... (in case you don't like being tracked)

Orangedox talks about tracking:

Official garden newsletter web site:

And you can get more info than just the newsletter.

I'll be downloading it and putting on our club site so people don't need to be actively tracked.

Greg
Greg,
I just opened the official newsletter the link took me to a "get" page and when I clicked on "Get" it opened the newsletter with the Orangedox logo on the page, from what I can see there is no difference between the 2 links.
Is it the official site using Orangedox that is the cause for concern or have I missed something here I'm a bit confused?
I had never heard of Orangedox till the other day.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
yes, read my post #6 and go to the orangedox link I posted, you will soon see that it is an organization to collect information about you.

Greg
Yeah read that but still trying to get my head round the difference between the tracking by them and by Facebook for example.
I posted a thread about "whole stick cane wagons' on here and another forum and surprise on the wife's facebook there appears historic photos of whole stick wagons.
So where did facebook get the idea that I was looking at those type of wagons my browser or a forum?
I naturally assume that any activity I do on the net is tracked.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Thank you Greg to warn all of us about this tracking.
And providing the Official garden newsletter web site:

However :
If this can help the newsletter development, I have no problem with that until it is limited to this topic.
This can demonstrate to all stakeholders of the wide interest even in EU, ... etc

Each time I clean my PC with CCleaner I find lot of cookies ( 1400 the last time !!)
I have Norton which help in this question (destroying most of tracking cookies)

Do you know somebody not tracked on the web ? ;);)

Reactions: 1 user

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Yes, I do know people not tracked, in fact many of them, using anonymizers, and you do not have to be a technical genius to use them, they are being offered more and more by the leading AV companies.

Again, my point is that it is just common courtesy to announce to your users that you have a tracker, and if the range of the use of the data was explained it would be nice.

I really have no issues in this particular case, since I am part of the group and know what is going on, I don't mind a few more emails trying to sell me train stuff.

Greg