G scale signals

S

Simon Potter

Srpott40
14 Jun 2016
Dorset
apologies if this has been discussed on another thread.

Does anybody know where I can buy, G scale signals at a reasonable price, (after at least 10 of them). My only specifications are that they weather proof, and can be changed using a switch somehow. (So they can be operated in the same place, from my control panel.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
There are also colour signals (gauge 1) from Maerklin and GSSB also but they are all German or Swiss apart from the LGB US semaphore. None of them I would call cheap. If you want cheap you have to build your own. What type and country of signals are you after?

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have used both Playmobil and scratch built sigs by Andy Rush. The Playmobil ones are repainted, all my Sigs are Air Ooerated. Some pics of mine on the line seen in my Build Thread:-

A new Railway is Started - G Scale Central

Post 96 shows examples of both.

Andy used Tops from Photo Slide Canisters for the Round Ones, but I guess that any Pill Top would work. The smaller Shunt Signals are those iritating Circles that have to be popped out of Metal Plug Wall Mounting Socket Boxes.

You could look at Glendale Junction who have a rather nice line in Electric Light Signals, made by a tame local they are very reasonable price and look very good. I have used some of the Shunt Signals in my Garden.
JonD

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
You could look at Glendale Junction who have a rather nice line in Electric Light Signals, made by a tame local they are vert reasonable price and look very good. I have used some of the Shunt Signals in my Garden.
JonD
Yes JD, I too have used the double red ones for the buffer stops on Hardyard.

73670_f3ac51ac8c276bd9a4514ccb7bff15fa.png

They are apparently O scale but work well enough?

Hardyard also has some colour light signals brought from a member of this forum, but I am not sure of their provenance....

73671_aafe0443aa46637960ef11830cb5041e.jpg

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
I too use converted Playmobil Colour light signals. They keep the weather out well! I have nine which have been out in my garden for four years now. The only parts that need replacing are the white edging of the target board around the lenses, which is paper, and eventually fails!

73681_16ced782f39f68ba5959eed2bccdc644.jpg

The paper on this one needs replacing!

I run them on an 18v AC supply, the switching is provided by a LGB EPL drive which I mount them on, this also switches the power to the isolated sections. I use the older large 1203 type add on switch rather than the modern small 12070 type, and mount the signal to this with hot melt glue! A Playmobil buffer is mounted on top of each signal to keep the wet out of the recess for the switch that it comes supplied with, but has been removed.

73682_be0fa5a7adc408540cccce27c6f62f27.jpg

This one has had the paper replaced with Varnished masking tape!

They cost around £10 each when new and are a very robust and cheap solution. Even when one of my nephews knocks one over when he plays football in our garden, the worst that needs fixing is that the signal needs re-glueing to the LGB switch unit.

PS - I like the Marklin battery operated signal is Gizzy's posting. That looks like it could be adapted in much the same way as the PM ones. It looks a little neater that the PM one, but it would be interesting to see how big it is and how weatherproof it can be.

PPS - Just found this image of Gizy's signal: http://www.johanvoermans.nl/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5750

Sadly it appears to be a little on the small side. That appears to be HO track! Pity!

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Yes, I think it is HO; certainly the link Gizzy gave had HO in it.

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
It is an HO toy signal but it is very over scale.

More like O scale.

I thought that it could still be used on a platform or similar.

I brought one recently to experiment with so I will have a measure and post pix at some point....

S

Simon Potter

Srpott40
14 Jun 2016
Dorset
Thanks everyone for your input on this thread, the main thing i have spotted is that there is no main type of signal that everybody uses!!

So think I will need to have a go myself, in my workshop!!

S

Simon Potter

Srpott40
14 Jun 2016
Dorset
Yes JD, I too have used the double red ones for the buffer stops on Hardyard.

View attachment 212096

They are apparently O scale but work well enough?

Hardyard also has some colour light signals brought from a member of this forum, but I am not sure of their provenance....

View attachment 212097
Is Hardyard an outside layout, as I've looked into these in the past but been told they are not suitable for outside use

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Is Hardyard an outside layout, as I've looked into these in the past but been told they are not suitable for outside use
My 4 Shunt Signals x Glendale have been outside for over a Year now and are just fine still.
JonD

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Gizzy's "Hardyard" is a VERY small indoor show layout, a little station yard with a single R1 point and a sector plate in a hidden fiddle yard - but it's amazing just how much fun you can have just moving a couple of short wagons around on three tracks with a single loco! :rofl:

Jon.

minimans

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
I converted LGB signals to sort of British outline , I no longer have a railway so they are surplus to my needs right now. If your interested in them just drop me a PM
73757_35ab3bcde66d32bed8fdbcbcb2839809.jpg
73758_3a9bf4eac2ff48682e0d05fec2a9202b.jpg
73759_6e6ad94b96ef8ba21844a21d71ce00e8.jpg
73759_6e6ad94b96ef8ba21844a21d71ce00e8.jpg

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Hullo Simon,

Hardyard is a small indoor layout. You can find out more about it on this thread here;

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/hardyard-a-g-scale-indoor-layout.51853/page-8#post-427267

However, I am surprised that you have been told that they are not suitable of outdoors?

I know that these signals are used outside on Glendale Junction's layout, and a friend of mine near Cambridge has also used these outdoors. The bias resistor is protected from the elements with heat-shrink sleeving but addition protection wouldn't go amiss....

Last edited:
H

Herman Beals

Registered
9 Nov 2019
Freeville, NY, United States
I too use converted Playmobil Colour light signals. They keep the weather out well! I have nine which have been out in my garden for four years now. The only parts that need replacing are the white edging of the target board around the lenses, which is paper, and eventually fails!

View attachment 212113

The paper on this one needs replacing!

I run them on an 18v AC supply, the switching is provided by a LGB EPL drive which I mount them on, this also switches the power to the isolated sections. I use the older large 1203 type add on switch rather than the modern small 12070 type, and mount the signal to this with hot melt glue! A Playmobil buffer is mounted on top of each signal to keep the wet out of the recess for the switch that it comes supplied with, but has been removed.

View attachment 212114

This one has had the paper replaced with Varnished masking tape!

They cost around £10 each when new and are a very robust and cheap solution. Even when one of my nephews knocks one over when he plays football in our garden, the worst that needs fixing is that the signal needs re-glueing to the LGB switch unit.

PS - I like the Marklin battery operated signal is Gizzy's posting. That looks like it could be adapted in much the same way as the PM ones. It looks a little neater that the PM one, but it would be interesting to see how big it is and how weatherproof it can be.

PPS - Just found this image of Gizy's signal: Johan Voermans

Sadly it appears to be a little on the small side. That appears to be HO track! Pity!

James
Helo. In June 2016 you posted that you converted a signal using an Lgb device. I am trying to do the same, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the electric diagram you used. Herman Beals

The Tinker

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Roundhouse sell a resonably priced kit

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Another option is the LGB 5030 Bavarian signal. They are relatively inexpensive, unpowered but could be modified. Easily lit. Upper quadrant.

Last edited: