G Scale railway indoors

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Perhaps you could do a little of what I have, my Shed is 20ft long. It has allowed a meaningful Station up Top and 5 Storage/Stabling Roads below. Enough for quite a few items to be stored on line. To get things to fit below on a narrowish Board I have reduced the gap between track somewhat so that Trains fit OK. That does not work so well on Curves though where LGB Standard gap has been allowed. Out side like me you could use a loop to get from High to Lower Level. My Station is roughly 4ft High. Lower level 14 inches lower and baseboard width 30 inches which is about as much as I can reach across at that height.
View attachment 255957
You should just be able to make out the lower level in the above pic. I have also managed another Station and small Fiddle Yard which allows meaningful Operations indoors, admittedly in conditions completely opposed to the issues weather wise that you would face.
Coincidentally my upper level is at 48" which is the height of a side brace for the shed, I measured the box of my largest loco and it is 14" so I am running that distance as the between track heights. I made the separation between tracks 14"which is the height of the box of my largest ;loco.
I had 30" separating the tracks so I will move them closer so the over all width is 30".
Could I get some more detail about the storage track eg number of lines how do the trains get to the main track (large number of points?).

As I use battery remote control I may have an issue with storage under the layout but I could store the rolling stock there and sens a shunter down to drag a train out just like they do on the real thing when marshaling trains, food for thought will have to have that same coupler type.
Please keep the ideas coming they are a big help in overcoming the planners block.
I will trawl through this thread over the next few days for other ideas that may be useful.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
I have started mocking up the indoor part of the layout (an area of 20ft x 12ft) plus laying out track for the 15 Meter out and back double track.

The pictures show the upper and lower tracks, the grade to the outdoor, a couple of buildings and some lines on the floor for the curves (8ft dia).

The HO in front is just an idea, not sure where it will go possibly may even go above the upper track backdrop which will most likely be a mountainside. I plan on using the HO on rainy days so I can run trains.

We had a builder come over and give a quote for replacing the 10Metre x 4 Metre front deck of the house and have decided to replace it.
I now have a large supply of hardwood timber planks about 90mm wide, which the builder has told me will be fine to use outdoors for years so I am going with that.

Construction is planned to start within a week or two depending on the tasking from SWMBO and her "Honey Do" list. Might look at a thread showing progress (not sure about websites and blogs)

P1050148.JPGP1050147.JPGP1050146.JPGP1050145.JPGP1050144.JPGP1050143.JPG

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
:envy: The only way to get that much clear 'floor-space' here, is to go outside! :envy::giggle:

Problem is, if you stay in the same place for nearly forty years, you don't-half collect a lot of carp! :(:rolleyes:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Coincidentally my upper level is at 48" which is the height of a side brace for the shed, I measured the box of my largest loco and it is 14" so I am running that distance as the between track heights. I made the separation between tracks 14"which is the height of the box of my largest ;loco.
I had 30" separating the tracks so I will move them closer so the over all width is 30".
Could I get some more detail about the storage track eg number of lines how do the trains get to the main track (large number of points?).

As I use battery remote control I may have an issue with storage under the layout but I could store the rolling stock there and sens a shunter down to drag a train out just like they do on the real thing when marshaling trains, food for thought will have to have that same coupler type.
Please keep the ideas coming they are a big help in overcoming the planners block.
I will trawl through this thread over the next few days for other ideas that may be useful.
Hi Gap, I have just photed my Low Level to give you an idea how I have laid out the 5 Tracks in my lower Yard. I use mostly LGB R3 Points and to get the 5 Tracks in 30 inch width and have resorted to 14-15mm between centres of the Rails. This has been achieved by cutting some straight out of the diverging part of the Points. By reference to an LGB R3 and the pic you should be able to make out how I have reduced the points. As I said before these closer gaps only work with Straight Tracks and LGB Stock, if you were to have other makers with perhaps wider Trains say Bachmann 1:20 Scales you would run into problems with the closeness of the Tracks. I have used Electrical Trunking at the front for all of the Wiring and Air Pipe Runs, this makes alterations and trouble shooting so much simpler. Just the actual line to the Switch of feed running out of the Trunking.

Oh looking at your construction reminds me so much of what I was doing in my Shed back in 2013. If you look at some of my earlier posts on my New Railway Thread linked in my signature line you will see similar fun being enjoyed.
131190_a6af356316523376de334dce98cea4ce.jpeg
131191_e3cd3f735a3a351bd8e7be362d45824b.jpeg
131192_c57d797919f2bc7518ad8ff4b5fd1919.jpeg

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
:envy: The only way to get that much clear 'floor-space' here, is to go outside! :envy::giggle:

Problem is, if you stay in the same place for nearly forty years, you don't-half collect a lot of carp! :(:rolleyes:
40 Years
You should have seen the amount of treasure I collected after 15 years!!!!
We had 1.5 containers worth of "treasure" after downsizing.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Hi Gap, I have just photed my Low Level to give you an idea how I have laid out the 5 Tracks in my lower Yard. I use mostly LGB R3 Points and to get the 5 Tracks in 30 inch width and have resorted to 14-15mm between centres of the Rails. This has been achieved by cutting some straight out of the diverging part of the Points. By reference to an LGB R3 and the pic you should be able to make out how I have reduced the points. As I said before these closer gaps only work with Straight Tracks and LGB Stock, if you were to have other makers with perhaps wider Trains say Bachmann 1:20 Scales you would run into problems with the closeness of the Tracks. I have used Electrical Trunking at the front for all of the Wiring and Air Pipe Runs, this makes alterations and trouble shooting so much simpler. Just the actual line to the Switch of feed running out of the Trunking.

Oh looking at your construction reminds me so much of what I was doing in my Shed back in 2013. If you look at some of my earlier posts on my New Railway Thread linked in my signature line you will see similar fun being enjoyed.
View attachment 256013View attachment 256014View attachment 256015
Will look at your thread.
I have a different situation to yourself in that I am running battery R/C and I planned on at least 10 tracks so now I have to find a way to drag out the rolling stock to marry it up with the loco I want to use. One option is a joining device between the different couplings I have or standardise couplings but the motive power may be a small shunter to drag out the rolling stock, that is a challenge in itself but one for another day.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
A chunky (heavy, for traction) small shunter, with a R/C coupler, could do the job?

I suppose you might need a match-truck, if you have dissimilar couplings on some formations, and might need to manually intervene at times? :think:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Will look at your thread.
I have a different situation to yourself in that I am running battery R/C and I planned on at least 10 tracks so now I have to find a way to drag out the rolling stock to marry it up with the loco I want to use. One option is a joining device between the different couplings I have or standardise couplings but the motive power may be a small shunter to drag out the rolling stock, that is a challenge in itself but one for another day.
I am now Battery so similar issues, however I tend to populate the railway with stock with a Shunter prior to operating. However I have stuck to 1 type of Coupling LGB Hook and Loop. Bu just havinf no hook on Locomotives and one each end of all stock I find things work fine just having to push down 1 hook only when uncoupling in the Fiddle Yd.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
I have mostly loop couplings but also a fair few loop and pin so changing to one type of coupler is something I really don't want to do but it is an option to be considered.
The old grey matter just stirred with the match truck suggestion I could glue small rare earth magnets onto a wagon at the head of a rake of wagons (means having made up trains that do not change but I already have a couple of them) and one on a small wagon so I can drag out the train.
More thinking required so I had better get a cuppa.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I have mostly loop couplings but also a fair few loop and pin so changing to one type of coupler is something I really don't want to do but it is an option to be considered.
The old grey matter just stirred with the match truck suggestion I could glue small rare earth magnets onto a wagon at the head of a rake of wagons (means having made up trains that do not change but I already have a couple of them) and one on a small wagon so I can drag out the train.
If you have a 'spare' R/C channel.. You could arrange a 'piston' (operated by a servo) to physically push the truck and consist apart..
Would need a decent servo though.. :think:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Having all the same couplers is certainly an advantage. However if you are considering it as a possibility you can always do just the ends to hook and loop (thus having effectively two wagons with one of each type) leaving the rest of the consist with link n pin. Then if you want to run with a Loco Link n pin just remarshal with the hook n loops somewhere within the consist.