GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Gap, you've obviously got everyone going with your plans! 'Your requirements certainly different to the norm

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Gents, he already said his winter temps are 25 C (77 F). He's in Australia, in a hot zone (35 C summer) much like Florida, but with nice sea breezes. I see no need for insulation if he plans to open the doors frequently.

Wish I had a pair of sheds like that! (Can't say I envy the climate, as I already live in Florida!)

Don't we feel foolish.....:oops:

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
No just a tad envious:envy:
Yes but only a tad...
'We' (well, 'I') have other problems...
Temperate, rather damp climate. - So wood will rot, and metal will corrode.
Clay subsoil. - So ground will move quite a bit.
BUT, the local wildlife will probably not kill me!

A real problem to design / build an economic structure, that will last (say) 30 years, for a sensible amount of money.

Oh, and that the local authorities will allow to be built, and not tax you on! :rolleyes::eek:

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes but only a tad...

A real problem to design / build an economic structure, that will last (say) 30 years, for a sensible amount of money.

Oh, and that the local authorities will allow to be built, and not tax you on! :rolleyes::eek:

"Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me."

George Harrison

I could not resist, Phil.....:rofl:

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Don't talk taxman to me !!!!!
Just got the Stamp Duty bill for the house sale, because we are not moving in right away or within the next 12 months (bought for retirement in 2019 ) it is now classified as an investment property and another $6000 has been added!!!!!!!!
Even if I left it empty the same rule applies, I have to move in.
So now we are going to rent it that will cover the extra tax.
Now comes the stupid bit, because it is an investment I can deduct all expenses from my income tax any repairs etc even the stamp duty.
So the taxman will pay me albeit it is a different taxman one is State (stamp duty) the other is Federal (income tax). We have 3 tiers of government in one country local, state, federal.

Rant now over back onto the railway front;

It will most probably be an indoor/outdoor layout now, with a line running around part of the backyard (might need more track), with proposed lift up bridge of about 500mm in length so that the roller door can be opened/closed. When wet, indoors running with outdoors not used.

Reactions: trammayo
GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Yes but only a tad...

I will be using galvanized steel for my structures outdoors, where I cut it I will use "coldgal" or "Killrust" black chassis paint which is a bituminous paint for truck chassis, I have had it on my trailer underfloor and chassis for over 20 years with no sign of rust.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I will be using galvanized steel for my structures outdoors, where I cut it I will use "coldgal" or "Killrust" black chassis paint which is a bituminous paint for truck chassis, I have had it on my trailer underfloor and chassis for over 20 years with no sign of rust.
Impressive!
No doubt it would be banned here, by the environmentalists!

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Impressive!
No doubt it would be banned here, by the environmentalists!
Yeah the "keep the nuclear gay whales in the ground" crew.

Rowan Bravington

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, a veritable potential empire could be built in there! No doubt any cars will be left out in the midday sun.... where they belong.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Wow, a veritable potential empire could be built in there! No doubt any cars will be left out in the midday sun.... where they belong.
There is a double high clearance carport at the front of the house for cars. Park the car undercover and walk up some stairs to the verandah then into the house.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
We have 3 tiers of government in one country local, state, federal.
Only 3 Tiers consider youself lucky. In UK many Counties are Governed by State, County, District, Town/Parish plus possibly Unity Mayor. To that you can also add in some Counties a Police Commisioner plus for Wales and Scotland an Assemby with idiots in England pestering for their own Assembly. I make that ..... Too many to count. Now we know where all the Money goes. Austerity, bah humbug.

It's still a nice Shed!

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
You can get Chassis Black in the UK, a very good paint to stop rust.

spoz

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
Staff member
GSC Moderator
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Gap, 5 k east of the coast and that temp range - where are you going, Geraldton?

Adelaide provides most of the same challenges, not the rain of course, and I built using H3/H4 timber. Some is raised, that’s H3 while the stuff in contact with the ground including the wooden posts (some posts are PVC waterpipe) is H4. Most of the layout is now more than 10 years old and while I’ve had to replace a couple of pieces, which I suspect weren’t properly protected, the rest is still in good nick. In fact the other day I dismantled a small section which I no longer use and the wooden posts are good enough to be reused. So don’t entirely discount going outdoors.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Gap, 5 k east of the coast and that temp range - where are you going, Geraldton?

Adelaide provides most of the same challenges, not the rain of course, and I built using H3/H4 timber. Some is raised, that’s H3 while the stuff in contact with the ground including the wooden posts (some posts are PVC waterpipe) is H4. Most of the layout is now more than 10 years old and while I’ve had to replace a couple of pieces, which I suspect weren’t properly protected, the rest is still in good nick. In fact the other day I dismantled a small section which I no longer use and the wooden posts are good enough to be reused. So don’t entirely discount going outdoors.
I'm going to Bundaberg in Qld, I am not discounting outdoors there will be an outdoor section but indoors will hold a lot of staging yard plus a town or some other type of scenery on a loop with a spur running outside. The area is a high termite zone so I figure if they start eating steel pipe then its time to quit.

Reactions: trammayo
Mallarddriver

Mallarddriver

Registered
9 Apr 2012
Skipton,UK
Hello GAP,
nice space for an indoor layout.
I would definitely go for along the wall end to end you can start with 2 feet depth
and then go deeper if you wish.
Have fun building it !!!

Cheers
Soeren

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
I am resurrecting this old thread as I am now in Bundaberg and retired.

After all my shed equipment arrived and the workshop and man-cave areas were established, I now find that I only have about 20 Ft x 12Ft for the indoor part of my layout (the garden part is virtually unlimited in area but that is another thread in itself).

I originally planned for a storage/ staging area for trains so that I did not have to take them off the layout but that now seems a huge waste of space for no practical gain so I am thinking of having storage shelves around 3 walls or just a rack/cupboard.

I am thinking of a 2 level run with double track that feeds from the garden with the transition being started out in the garden giving a 2-3% grade.

I am still open to storage tracks under the lower part layout with a sector plate to allow trains on and off the layout (saving on making points) with the trains entering out in the garden via a grade the opposite to the second level (if that makes sense).

The main purpose of the indoor area is to allow buildings/town area to be built inside giving them some protection from the elements.

There was also a thought of a small HO track up high (eye level see A new railway is being formed - G Scale Central) but I have gone cold on that idea as well, but that may still enter the picture again.

What I am after is example plans, experiences/pitfalls to avoid and any suggestions that will help get me past the planners block I have hit where I just cannot seem to form an idea.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I am resurrecting this old thread as I am now in Bundaberg and retired.

After all my shed equipment arrived and the workshop and man-cave areas were established, I now find that I only have about 20 Ft x 12Ft for the indoor part of my layout (the garden part is virtually unlimited in area but that is another thread in itself).

I originally planned for a storage/ staging area for trains so that I did not have to take them off the layout but that now seems a huge waste of space for no practical gain so I am thinking of having storage shelves around 3 walls or just a rack/cupboard.

I am thinking of a 2 level run with double track that feeds from the garden with the transition being started out in the garden giving a 2-3% grade.

I am still open to storage tracks under the lower part layout with a sector plate to allow trains on and off the layout (saving on making points) with the trains entering out in the garden via a grade the opposite to the second level (if that makes sense).

The main purpose of the indoor area is to allow buildings/town area to be built inside giving them some protection from the elements.

There was also a thought of a small HO track up high (eye level see A new railway is being formed - G Scale Central) but I have gone cold on that idea as well, but that may still enter the picture again.

What I am after is example plans, experiences/pitfalls to avoid and any suggestions that will help get me past the planners block I have hit where I just cannot seem to form an idea.
Perhaps you could do a little of what I have, my Shed is 20ft long. It has allowed a meaningful Station up Top and 5 Storage/Stabling Roads below. Enough for quite a few items to be stored on line. To get things to fit below on a narrowish Board I have reduced the gap between track somewhat so that Trains fit OK. That does not work so well on Curves though where LGB Standard gap has been allowed. Out side like me you could use a loop to get from High to Lower Level. My Station is roughly 4ft High. Lower level 14 inches lower and baseboard width 30 inches which is about as much as I can reach across at that height.
131076_04e6d99439a9daa5c98e90ec4177ff97.jpeg

You should just be able to make out the lower level in the above pic. I have also managed another Station and small Fiddle Yard which allows meaningful Operations indoors, admittedly in conditions completely opposed to the issues weather wise that you would face.