G Scale railway indoors

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
A few pictures of what I will have to work with.

91143_d0be30b9b7cadf1527e6534cf990777c.jpg

From side door

91144_d0b652b41be61ab4760228f481d9ab57.jpg

Back to side door

91145_66267a23e4f14bf8001888bb391e393c.jpg

From small shed

91146_16935bd62d5555c6426db68030fa6f66.jpg

Benches in main shed

91147_549ac7a9b064eb71268ccbf53f910009.jpg

Benches in main shed

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
If the walls are what they look like, insulation seems a first priority.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK

View attachment 231877
From side door

View attachment 231879
Back to side door

View attachment 231880
From small shed

View attachment 231881
Benches in main shed

View attachment 231882

Benches in main shed
Not sure that will be big enough for G Scale, have you considered Z Gauge?

So I am being ironic and extremely envious! I would agree with the insulation comment, if only in your case to help to keep out the extreme heat. 25mm Celtex (if available or equivalent) between battens that could have sheet mounted on top of that. You will see what I have done in my Layout Build thread, though in my case it doubles to keep out the heat in summer and heat in in winter.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
It's going to be hard to insulate those roll up doors. Yes 25mm Celtex and maybe wooden cladding (tongue and groove?) on the inside would make it warmer in both senses of the word. The space you have is fantastic, I'd be very happy with one of those sheds, but pity you don't have windows / natural light. If the weather is warm enough to open those roll up doors that will be a nice space to work in but could be a bit claustrophobic if you plan to spend many hours in there which I'm sure you do.

Reactions: mike
Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Reminds me of a smaller version of the hangers where I work?

Which might not be a good thing!

Still, I'm very jealous and it is a fantastic space for a layout....

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Very nice space! :envy::envy: (says the man with daylight, and leaves, coming through the roof). :oops:

I am guessing you will be more interested in keeping heat out, than in?

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
The shed roofs are ventilated with "Whirly Bird" heat extractors and both have high roofs so the heat is above my head height.
The house is about 5Km due East of the coast and gets a nice sea breeze every day, so if I open the roller doors the breeze cools them as well..
There is an insulation product available if the need arises.
But after living in single digit territory a bit of heat is a welcome change plus there is the added bonus of the swimming pool round the front if it gets to hot

91152_597e15143ddc1a7b15b6829cde0700b1.jpg

91152_597e15143ddc1a7b15b6829cde0700b1.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: mike and dunnyrail
GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Reminds me of a smaller version of the hangers where I work?

Which might not be a good thing!

Still, I'm very jealous and it is a fantastic space for a layout....
I to have done a bit of time in hangars, especially in tropical Northern Queensland, but that was a few years ago.

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Nice shed!:envy:

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Big shed AND a swimming pool!

You can go off some people quite easily.. ;):giggle::giggle:
Mind you, would rather have our spiders etc. than yours! :eek::sweating::sweating:

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Big shed AND a swimming pool!

You can go off some people quite easily.. ;):giggle::giggle:
Mind you, would rather have our spiders etc. than yours! :eek::sweating::sweating:
There are no spiders at the house the crocodiles ate them all ;) ;)

As we tell our US visitors at work when you come to Australia if the fauna doesn't get you the flora will.

Reactions: trammayo
GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
It's going to be hard to insulate those roll up doors. Yes 25mm Celtex and maybe wooden cladding (tongue and groove?) on the inside would make it warmer in both senses of the word. The space you have is fantastic, I'd be very happy with one of those sheds, but pity you don't have windows / natural light. If the weather is warm enough to open those roll up doors that will be a nice space to work in but could be a bit claustrophobic if you plan to spend many hours in there which I'm sure you do.
Windows can be added relatively cheaply if need be or I could replace a couple of roofing sheets with polycarbonate sheeting that will let the light in. The roller doors would generally be open during the day and only closed at night time or when its raining.

The roof is very high standard is 2.4M but these are high clearance I guess about 3M (10ft)the previous owner had 2 caravans in the big one and stored all his accessories in the small one hence the mezzanine.

The pictures are of the small shed with the mezzanine the clearance under it is 6ft.
The plan is to use these as my clean (electronics etc) and dirty (grinding drilling painting etc) work areas.

91172_406fc5d87d3776a66d7391e233bc48d9.jpg

91173_15c87bf684db9f55070e5322570b8920.jpg

Last edited:
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
You have obviously thought this through, I look forward to seeing your progress.

R

Robert shufflebotham

Registered
9 Nov 2017
Welch oklahoma
I have just purchased my retirement house with 2 conjoined sheds one 6Mx7.5M and the other 6Mx4.5M.
Original plan was to build a layout in the garden (raise about 1-1.5M above the ground to save the knees.
The sheds now shed (no pun intended) a new light on whether to go outdoors subject to weather or all weather indoors.
I am looking for inspiration on indoor layouts so am asking the group to help.
Any suggestion welcome.
I have an extremely detailed 12' x 12' indoor layout. We have been playing with it for 5 years. It has a double reverse loop with one end hidden and the other end in a mine scene. We have a logging scene and an 1890's town (grain elevators, stockyards etc) We use geared locomotives, horse drawn wagons. It has a 8% grade up to the logging and mining scenes. We are ranchers in the plains of America and an outdoor layout would not survive.

Reactions: mike
ARIA31

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
I like very much this thread !! with particularly those beautiful pictures.
My point of view :
a) my indoor railroad is at 0.85 meter height
b) have good lighting ( for usual operation but also for pictures and videos )
c) have a heating system for winter time
d) make sure you have access to every place of your railroad (0.90 m max)
e) build a very srong benchwork
f) anticipate place for railroad control intallation

Reactions: idlemarvel
stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
While inside and garden are different in the rewards,
I agree with aria.

Make the space comfortable, warm/cool, well lighted, work bench, bar stools, etc.

I happen to love detail in model railroads. Not rivet counting, but figures, baggage, tools, special effect lighting, things that create the atmosphere. I think this is easier to execute, and to see on an indoor raised layout.

And, the real plus of an indoor raised layout, imho, is not only protection from the elements and creatures, but the ability to do fine detailing in your scenes. And, virtually eliminating the wear and mishaps that always seem to arise with exposure to the elements. And of course perfect, or close, track work.

If you later fancy an outdoor branch line, add it.
Outdoors, well you have the joy of real plants and lighting, rain, snow?, etc, but hard on accessories.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
If the walls are what they look like, insulation seems a first priority.

Definitely yes to the insulation. Since your outer walls are metal, some sort of air space should be provided between the metal and whatever type of insulation you may be installing.

The inside face of the metal will sweat in certain types of weather, which will migrate into the insulation, not good. Here, in the States, when insulating a roof over a living space, styrofoam baffles are placed up against the underside of the roof sheathing, allowing air to circulate so that the wood sheathing doesn't sweat and rot.

As far as the finished wall on the inside of your building goes, I would suggest moisture resistant drywall.

You may not be asking for all of this advise, but what the heck, we like to give it anyway, just in case.....:lipssealed:

Reactions: idlemarvel
Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
c) have a heating system for winter time

Definitely yes to the insulation.
Gents, he already said his winter temps are 25 C (77 F). He's in Australia, in a hot zone (35 C summer) much like Florida, but with nice sea breezes. I see no need for insulation if he plans to open the doors frequently.

Wish I had a pair of sheds like that! (Can't say I envy the climate, as I already live in Florida!)

M

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
So. As you can clearly see there is no interest in this subject.

Ha. I wish you big success with this layout and look forward to your future posts as to progress.

I will be building outside in the Spring. I intend to raise my line because of snow. I'm considering heights as well.

Cheers,
McChuck

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I have an extremely detailed 12' x 12' indoor layout. We have been playing with it for 5 years. It has a double reverse loop with one end hidden and the other end in a mine scene. We have a logging scene and an 1890's town (grain elevators, stockyards etc) We use geared locomotives, horse drawn wagons. It has a 8% grade up to the logging and mining scenes. We are ranchers in the plains of America and an outdoor layout would not survive.
Any chance of some pictures of your layout please?