G Scale railway indoors

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
I have just purchased my retirement house with 2 conjoined sheds one 6Mx7.5M and the other 6Mx4.5M.
Original plan was to build a layout in the garden (raise about 1-1.5M above the ground to save the knees.
The sheds now shed (no pun intended) a new light on whether to go outdoors subject to weather or all weather indoors.
I am looking for inspiration on indoor layouts so am asking the group to help.
Any suggestion welcome.

Reactions: mike
Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Why not have the best of both worlds, with a really nice indoor layout in the shed(s) and a spur coming off it that leads out to a raised section in the garden.....?

Jon.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
Yes depending what the weather is usually best of both is worth considering.
You could have the inside incorporating a circuit for running in on wet or cold days but have a circuit off it in one or two places so in good weather you can sit outside and relax in the sun :)
They could both be circuits with two joining spurs to make one big one when you want or just one connection to move stock back and forth easily.
If you run as an end to end Railway then make the main terminus in the sheds, snaking out into the garden but include an indoor loop to run things in :)

Reactions: Gizzy
pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
6M x 12M sounds big and probably looks big empty but with a G scale railway it will soon get filled. I think the above replies are right and a catflap setup is the way to go. :nod:
Of course you now have to log on as Johnny Two Sheds, and none of us are in the least envious :envy:

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
well, Johnny Two Sheds, you will get older - meaning slower.
while half done buildings and thrown around tools (i'll take a five minute break... three weeks later you remember, you were building something) left in the garden suffer or evaporate - being indoors spiderwebs are your worst case scenario.

go for it!

but one meter or higher seems very high to me.
my unfinished layout has two levels. one at 70cm the other at 140cm. while i can reach about 90 cm into the lower level, i need a 60cm box or ladder to do the same at the upper level. (i'm 178 high)

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
The only thing I'd add is that you need to make all aspects of your proposed indoor line accessible! Future-proof it.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have just purchased my retirement house with 2 conjoined sheds one 6Mx7.5M and the other 6Mx4.5M.
Original plan was to build a layout in the garden (raise about 1-1.5M above the ground to save the knees.
The sheds now shed (no pun intended) a new light on whether to go outdoors subject to weather or all weather indoors.
Any suggestion welcome.
Have a look at my new build thread, I show my indoor section that is in a 20x8 with a 8x6 Shed joined on. The sheds are L shaped and I can run inside in just the sheds without using my outdoor section. Most useful in bad weather if the running bug gets to me. My board heights are 34" and 48" with width at 30". Much wider and you will struggle to use the boards for access without a permanent step up. In this area I have a Terminus Station, through Station and small fidle yard. I do not have a Continuous run in the Sheds and that would make things a bit trickier.

If you had 2 separated Sheds connection between the two could be by a Covered Bridge with the cover removable for Maintenance. In this instance you could have one Shed with a return loop and the other with a High Level Station and a Low Level Fiddle Yard. This is just the scenario that a friend of mine has done with his Garage and a Shed attached. He uses the layout in the Shed to drop down the 12-14" difference in heights, this is somewhat complex but very well conceived.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
6M x 12M sounds big and probably looks big empty but with a G scale railway it will soon get filled. I think the above replies are right and a catflap setup is the way to go. :nod:
Of course you now have to log on as Johnny Two Sheds, and none of us are in the least envious :envy:
You could fill a 10m X 20m shed quite easily if you had unlimited funds! If your sheds have plenty of windows and maybe french windows with views of the garden or other greenery then speaking personally I'd be quite happy with an indoor layout that size. I have a small outdoor and a small indoor layout and I would say I use the indoor one 99% of the time.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
well, Johnny Two Sheds, you will get older - meaning slower.
while half done buildings and thrown around tools (i'll take a five minute break... three weeks later you remember, you were building something) left in the garden suffer or evaporate - being indoors spiderwebs are your worst case scenario.

go for it!

but one meter or higher seems very high to me.
my unfinished layout has two levels. one at 70cm the other at 140cm. while i can reach about 90 cm into the lower level, i need a 60cm box or ladder to do the same at the upper level. (i'm 178 high)
I had not thought about reaching across the layout if it was not accessible from both sides (like it would be if in the garden) will have to the rethink the height. (I am 176 high)

Reactions: Flying15 and mike
pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
(I am 176 high)
To be honest I have tried Z to G and found hip height the most convenient, only the width of the board was a constraint (big tummy) so in your case I think reach is probably going to be the deciding factor rather than how much you can squeeze in (the railway, not your tummy).

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Have a look at my new build thread, I show my indoor section that is in a 20x8 with a 8x6 Shed joined on. The sheds are L shaped and I can run inside in just the sheds without using my outdoor section. Most useful in bad weather if the running bug gets to me. My board heights are 34" and 48" with width at 30". Much wider and you will struggle to use the boards for access without a permanent step up. In this area I have a Terminus Station, through Station and small fidle yard. I do not have a Continuous run in the Sheds and that would make things a bit trickier.

If you had 2 separated Sheds connection between the two could be by a Covered Bridge with the cover removable for Maintenance. In this instance you could have one Shed with a return loop and the other with a High Level Station and a Low Level Fiddle Yard. This is just the scenario that a friend of mine has done with his Garage and a Shed attached. He uses the layout in the Shed to drop down the 12-14" difference in heights, this is somewhat complex but very well conceived.
That thread is very interesting, I think it will provide some inspiration.
Looks like a few sleepless nights thinking about layouts is in my future.
SWMBO has her shed aka the house and I have mine aka the mancave.
My initial thinking for the outside track supports will be steel 50mm galvanized square tube with galvanized gallows brackets supporting cable tray for the road bed.
The cable tray will be lined with weed control mat and filled with gravel for ballast, as suggested on here at one stage.
The area has a high rainfall and temps 33-35C in summer and 20-25C in winter and also a high termite population so timber may not be an option.
I am better working with metal than wood anyway, a welding course being offered at local tech college may be the way to go.
Finally what program did you use to draw the layout?
Any other suggestions for layout planning welcome as are links to layouts already done any where in the world.

P

Paul Stanton

Registered
26 Dec 2009
I have just purchased my retirement house with 2 conjoined sheds one 6Mx7.5M and the other 6Mx4.5M......
Any suggestion welcome.
Hi Graeme,
I have shared some pics of my indoor layout. Your sheds are pretty big, you should be able to get quite a bit of track in there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByrnKKvd1PL5S3dpc18tUG5ORUVWLV83ZW1Db2xvUW10ZGFv/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByrnKKvd1PL5dnVfUWRRbTFJUnVralJ0R000dVRFTlZNdWIw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByrnKKvd1PL5LUhUNDh2Qk1saTBCT3luQzBuX0ZfQ0xfYnhj/view?usp=sharing

It's nice to work on the indoor layout when it's -15C outside. If your location warrants it, make provisions for heat and cooling in the sheds.

Paul

Lobethalbahn2

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Hi Graeme,
I have shared some pics of my indoor layout. Your sheds are pretty big, you should be able to get quite a bit of track in there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByrnKKvd1PL5S3dpc18tUG5ORUVWLV83ZW1Db2xvUW10ZGFv/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByrnKKvd1PL5dnVfUWRRbTFJUnVralJ0R000dVRFTlZNdWIw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByrnKKvd1PL5LUhUNDh2Qk1saTBCT3luQzBuX0ZfQ0xfYnhj/view?usp=sharing

It's nice to work on the indoor layout when it's -15C outside. If your location warrants it, make provisions for heat and cooling in the sheds.

Paul
That's an impressive set-up. Here are some images of my indoor layout - 3m by 3.6m.
91106_59c49c90956634d6964d228e9d5ef331.jpeg
91107_d78cca93180f80008f8ac1705118d5ad.jpeg

91108_b38314a04a26d6cf365e2e1779c50a69.jpeg

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
That thread is very interesting, I think it will provide some inspiration.
Looks like a few sleepless nights thinking about layouts is in my future.
SWMBO has her shed aka the house and I have mine aka the mancave.
My initial thinking for the outside track supports will be steel 50mm galvanized square tube with galvanized gallows brackets supporting cable tray for the road bed.
The cable tray will be lined with weed control mat and filled with gravel for ballast, as suggested on here at one stage.
The area has a high rainfall and temps 33-35C in summer and 20-25C in winter and also a high termite population so timber may not be an option.
I am better working with metal than wood anyway, a welding course being offered at local tech college may be the way to go.
Any other suggestions for layout planning welcome as are links to layouts already done any where in the world.
Glad you found some inspiration from my Thread.

In a wet area such as yours the Cable Trays will work well I feel, the weed matting should work fine but I am not sure how quickly water will drain through. Remember to allow a short drop gradient (outside) at each exit to the Shed so that Water does not cascade into the shed. Probably about 1 in 70 would be more than adequate fro a couple of feet or so. I also fill the gaps between Shed and Rail with Wood Squares just under Rail Height with Water Proof Caulk to complete the job.

I use MacDraft PE a 2D CAD package that runs on my Mac. Track diagrams take a while to get to grips with but once you have the basics it is relatively easy to draw Circles etc.

Good luck with your build and lots of Pictures please!

Last edited:
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
There are a few threads on this forum that discuss layout planning programs.
Many people prefer pencil and paper but if you want a CAD type approach the main contenders are AnyRail, SCARM and XtrkCad. They all support 45mm track and the last two are free although SCARM welcomes conrtibutions. I use XtrkCad. SCARM does some basic 3d rendering the others are 2d but do support levels. Most "g scale" indoor layouts have to avoid gradients but you have enough space to consider it.

GAP

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Glad you found some inspiration from my Thread.

In a wet area such as yours the Cable Trays will work well I feel, the weed matting should work fine but I am not sure how quickly water will drain through. Remember to allow a short drop gradient (outside) at each exit to the Shed so that Water does not cascade into the shed. Probably about 1 in 70 would be more than adequate fro a couple of feet or so. I also fill the gaps between Shed and Rail with Wood Squares just under Rail Height with Water Proof Caulk to complete the job.

I use MacDraft PE a 2D CAD package that runs on my Mac. Track diagrams take a while to get to grips with but once you have the basics it is relatively easy to draw Circles etc.

Good luck with your build and lots of Pictures please!
I could use fly screen or shade cloth mesh to improve drainage.
Building starts when I retire in Jul 2019 or so I think but SWMBO has said it will take 6 months to set the house up, well it is a big job but I'm sure she can handle it ;) ;)
Pictures will definitely be on the cards maybe as I am retired a "Blog" or website may be attempted.

Reactions: dunnyrail
korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009