Frozen Points !

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
As everyone is aware at this moment we in the Uk are in the middle of a bit of a freeze.! So this morning went to run on the railway to discover all my points frozen solid. So My Mothers solution was to boil kettle and pour boiling water over the points. This cured problem for 10 minutes or so. Then points froze even harder so this caused problems running. Especially as I was running my new aqusition ( A Piko 80 Tank) so apart from building minature point heaters any ideas on how to keep points defrosted !!

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
...with a miniature point heater..... :D

or some scaled workers with a pick and a shovel.....

if it is no problem to have a little oilfilm on the rail, use lock-defroster.
There is also a car-window-defroster.

just those 3 ways:

-mechanically
-energetically
-chemically

or u need a shed over every switch..... :D

Frank

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gareth said:
any ideas on how to keep points defrosted !!

There's no easy solution. Some car defrosting agents can affect the plastic sleepers, so be careful with those. If you can create a continuous or end-to-end run that will satisfy, stick all the points to the appropriate positions and live with them being stuck is one option.

The kettle route is as good as any, but after using you need to blast all the water away with a jet of dry air, or manually soak it up with (for example) kitchen towels. WD40 can help too.

I've also used one of those stuffed pillows for backache which can be microwaved repeatedly to unstick frozen points, but it only works for so long before you're back to square one. You also need to buy one, as using your wife's backache pillow on filthy trackwork is unwise (trust me on that)... :timeout:

E

Elmtree Line

I believe some people use a hairdryer.

Your neighbours may thing you've cracked though :rofl:

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
It is not customary to run trains here during very cold or icy conditions. Accordingly I can offer no advice re defrosting, But one thing I would mention is to ensure than switches/points are left set for main line running so hopefully allowing some running to take place if required. ;)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yep - as others have said - leave the main line set and just run on that.
c9e16ef02f7e47f395f1a1233005a72f.jpg

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Stainzmeister said:
stockers said:
Yep - as others have said - leave the main line set and just run on that.

Ditto

Ran trains for an hour this afternoon.

images

They are brave pasengers paul- they have opened the windows!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Sorry not much advise I can give you except move here, I don't suffer much from frozen anything...........................

d0fa6599e3db4957b6f5ea2d378b7ec6.jpg

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Best answers
No worries about frozen points here.
c04c65dbeba646feb7b7b1d2b8322b3c.jpg

The heat from the rotary snow plow is usually enough to melt the ice :D

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Radish Bahn said:
No worries about frozen points here.
images

The heat from the rotary snow plow is usually enough to melt the ice :D
Faster Scotty Faster!! ARRRRRRG I Can'y hold her Capt...............................................

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Best answers
Those two large circles on the front of the railbus aren't headlights ..... they're the engineer's eyes .....

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Well this morning points frozen again ! So after reading all your advice and ideas came up with a compromise :- Hairdryer and lifting all cover plates on point operating levers (LGB Track) then cleaning out and drying theses then squirting liberal amounts of WD40 and so far this seems to be working so far ! Its know snowing where did I put the snow plough !! Thanks for all your advive and thoughts lads and Lasses !:clap:

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Rule #1
Never use liquids to clear up a frozen item, goes for anything.
You can however use the water as a heating medium as long as it's contained.
Put some hot water in a plastic bag and lay it on, making certain you avoid spilling any. The plastic forms to the rails making immensely better contact than any stiff "bucket" and you will avoid water that will only refreeze with a much worse result in ten to twenty minutes.

If you throw a cup of boiling water into the air in minus thirty you will quickly see why hot water is the worst thing you can pour on...
(How do you think they make snow for those evergreen skiing resorts ;))

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That's got to be a top tip Rune, many thanks:clap::clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I use air points, I just plowed the track with my Jack and LGB Plow. The used a Brush to clean out the sown between the rails. Vola all working OK. That is after Fresh Snow this morning.
JonD

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I leave the facing points (motored) set for main line running, and the same for the trailing ones (unmotored but sprung for running round) although I haven't done any winter running due to illness and being busy at work.

Roll on Spring time....