free and easy wagon loads

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Appologies if people know this already, Just did it and happy with the result so I thought I'd share it.

To make Scrap metal loads for your wagons.

1) get some empy cans, Beer or pop as long as they are steel ones.
2) sand off the paint on the outside, takes seconds using a rotary tool sanding drum.
3) cut the can in to strips, I used a rotary tool cutting disc to get top and bottom off then sharp scissors to shred the remaining body.
4) sand some of the inside bits of metal to give varying finishes of weathering.
5) Soak shredded metal in malt vinigar overnight to weather the steel and give a rusted effect.

hey presto you have scrap metal. these pics are of three pepsi cans shredded and weathered, took about 45 min to do going to use bigger beer cans in the future as they are bigger and will give more metal per effort. and I get an excuse to drink more beer.

0428e244945a49d48706a26c1312fbae.jpg
0a80cde199ab4e91a5322c565fdd427f.jpg

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
So simple, yet so effective, this method will be going in the things to do book, Thanks for sharing.
m6.gif

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
I've started drinking already in readiness! :D

Ade

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
haven't seen a steel drink can in Oz for years and years.

handyman

Registered
1 Dec 2009
gt torrington DEVON
Best answers
looks very efective
if your unsure about weather your can is steel or not just put a magnet to it. if it sticks its steel

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Another source of scrap metal for wagon loads is kitchen foil (rolled sheet scrunched up and partly flattened out again) or take-away food containers. It just needs a wash and a spray of paint, then chopping up at randomly.

Giles