FlySky RC problem

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Wondering if anyone has had problems with FlySky 2.4GHz equipment.

I bought 2 sets a while ago via eBay and fitted them to identical tram locos based on Lehmann Porter mechanisms and with 8 x AA alkalines = 12V. Control with a Turnigy ESC.

They don't see a great deal of use, but one Rx has recently started to lose contact with its Tx.
The motor runs for about 30 secs then stops, and the Rx led is flashing, as though it's searching for a signal.
Switch everything off for a few seconds, then it will start again with the same result.

I've not yet contacted the seller.
Thing is, at the price of £17.50 it's doubtful economics to post it back to China.

Any tips? (I know - buy cheap buy twice)

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag
You may have a problem with the ESC. Most Rx LEDs flash like that when they lose power and then it is restored.

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Del,

Thanks for the hint...

I removed Rx from tram, and refitted Zebra 40MHz kit. Tram now works OK.

Using separate battery & servo still has problem with FlySky.

I guess I could look for a Rx.

Rob G

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Theres been a lot of talk on the R/C Airplane forums about Rx dropping out (Bit more serious in a $5,000 dollar jet) the consensus seems to be that the servo's take a lot more current than the old one's and that leaves not enough current so the RX drops out, some people have upped the battery voltage and the problem goes away but all the Suppliers deny that this is the problem. seem's like spectrum seem to be getting the most complaints?

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
This one seems to be a Tx problem, since the Rx works OK with the other Tx.
Vendor has offered to replace it, if I post back to Hong Kong.
Now checking costs!
The theory of relativity enters the building.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Interesting thread! My Countess came ready fitted with a Spectrum DX6i, so not my choice. I have inadvertently run the Rx pack down right down on one occasion, and the problem showed up as the regulator channel dropping out and the control remaining with Fwd & Rev channel. I'm certainly not an expert in this modern stuff, nor any previous (I count my time back to carrier wave, but purely as a user), but surely running the batt pack to near to flat will reduce the voltage available and the Rx did not drop out before one servo. Quite obviously everything must have been getting pretty marginal.

Budd

Registered
4 Nov 2009
Adelaide, down in Oar-Stralia
Best answers
MRail said:
Wondering if anyone has had problems with FlySky 2.4GHz equipment.

I bought 2 sets a while ago via eBay and fitted them to identical tram locos based on Lehmann Porter mechanisms and with 8 x AA alkalines = 12V. Control with a Turnigy ESC.

What are you using for reversing current after the ESC? or are limited to one direction only?

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Budd said:
What are you using for reversing current after the ESC? or are limited to one direction only?

Sorry for the long delay...

Reversing is by a servo on the other channel, operating a DPDT switch.

I've since posted the FlySky back to HK and a replacement is on its way.

Budd

Registered
4 Nov 2009
Adelaide, down in Oar-Stralia
Best answers
MRail said:
Budd said:

Sorry for the long delay...

Reversing is by a servo on the other channel, operating a DPDT switch.

I've since posted the FlySky back to HK and a replacement is on its way.

I am using the same system but with a Hobby King 2.4 radio and 10 x Turnigy AA rechargeable's = about 13V, Have squeezed it all into an Eggliner for the grandson. I am curious though, my reversing servo chatters a lot, I had to file out the yoke so it wouldn't accidently flip the reverse switch over, I am surprised and annoyed that the servo does this, anybody else experience this or have a solution?

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Budd said:
I am curious though, my reversing servo chatters a lot,
, anybody else experience this or have a solution?

Yes - my servo chattters a good deal.
It can be stopped by adjusting the trim, but starts again after being moved in the opposite direction.
This process can go on indefinitely.
I'm learning to ignore it.