Fitting a smoke unit to an OTTO loco

A

Alec K

While I have my OTTO locomotive (LGB 92179) on the work bench to add some Bertram Heyn detail parts, I thought that I would take the opportunity to fit a LGB Smoke Unit. I purchased the latter a couple of years ago - part number 65803, 18v- and, along with a number of other tasks, I'm now ready to complete them!

As always, I'm seeking advice, please, from Forum members who may have carried out this specific operation. I'm happy with the mechanical aspects of disassembling the loco, having done so once already, and with the process of fitting the unit into the chimney, but:
[UL][*]Basically, is the unit I have purchased the appropriate one for an OTTO?[*]Would I be correct to think that the unit connector leads (grey and black) should be soldered direct to the motor feed wires? [/UL] Sorry for the elementary nature of this query, but my OTTO loco is an excellent runner and I have no wish to do it harm!

With best wishes

Alec K

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i have done this-ill try to remember
first as i recall there is no need to solder-as i recall there is actually a screw type terminal for the unit-which btw , as you listed, is correct

there is no harm however in a direct to motor or track connection 

fwi-having done this to my Otto-i am inclined to remove the smoke unit should a better transplant candidate appear-the otto runs rather more than fast by the time there is enough voltage to activate the smoke unit to the point it smoke well enough to overcome

'windspeed'

id be more inclined to fit a 5 volts=w or w/o voltage regulator
the engine runs quite well at 5 v

A

Alec K

Steve, thank you.

Completely clear now, and I can proceed with confidence!

Kind regards, and thanks again,

Alec K

A

Alec K

And, indeed, Steve, on my railway you can only run slowly- tight curves and a 3' drop are the main factors! Modest length of run and a need to enjoy watching trains are the others. The condition of much of the upper track on the prototype meant that 10-15mph was the order of the day, anyhow.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll see if I track down a 12v smoke unit.... watch out for my unopened new version in the 'sales and wants' if I'm successful.

All the best

Alec

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
  or even risk a 5v -i think they have a tolerance of up to 6-8v i -the thing to be mindful of is,  substituting a lower voltage items, for example,  lights -which i often do for bright headlights at low speeds by simply using a 5v lamp instead of a 24v-is to remember this and never 'push it' 

i may try this on my otto-the smoke units are quite pricey and i am loathe to destroy one tho 

perhaps someone can advise on a  resistor value that would do the trick 

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
While I have my OTTO locomotive (LGB 92179) on the work bench to add some Bertram Heyn detail parts, I thought that I would take the opportunity to fit a LGB Smoke Unit. I purchased the latter a couple of years ago - part number 65803, 18v- and, along with a number of other tasks, I'm now ready to complete them!

As always, I'm seeking advice, please, from Forum members who may have carried out this specific operation. I'm happy with the mechanical aspects of disassembling the loco, having done so once already, and with the process of fitting the unit into the chimney, but:
[UL][*]Basically, is the unit I have purchased the appropriate one for an OTTO?[*]Would I be correct to think that the unit connector leads (grey and black) should be soldered direct to the motor feed wires? [/UL] Sorry for the elementary nature of this query, but my OTTO loco is an excellent runner and I have no wish to do it harm!

With best wishes

Alec K

I know this is a very old thread, but I came across these while researching low running speed smoke generators and low voltage lighting for older LGB models.
The links below may be helpful to anyone in the same boat. The prices don't seem too bad even with the current exchange rate.

LGB evaporator with voltage regulator Model Country 86001004

https://www.modell-land.de/verdampf...-15867.html?osCsid=con034m2i5g4oaipo7dl7t5un2

Evaporator 5 volt chimney insert model country 86001001

https://www.modell-land.de/verdampf...-14905.html?osCsid=con034m2i5g4oaipo7dl7t5un2

Fixed voltage regulator 6 V ML-Train 86001005

https://www.modell-land.de/festspan...-16387.html?osCsid=con034m2i5g4oaipo7dl7t5un2

Last edited:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag

With best wishes

Alec K
Alec, the original smoke unit to replace the dummy one is # 65103 which was a stack with the smoke unit built in, it had a on/off leaver at the bottom of which the smoke could have been turned on and off. A small brass strip soldered to one of the front motor block electrical leads and was tucked down the hole that the stack fit in. The other motor lead had a (usually yellow) wire soldered to it and it ran down the side of the motor block between it and the outer case terminating at the bottom and hooked (screwed ) to the leaver that rotated to the bottom of the stack, just below where nut that holds the engine together is. The only problem with what you've got is where to run the wires from the new smoke unit. I have done by removing the original stack, taping the lead weight to a bold size and running a bolt from the bottom up to secure the engine together, taping a hole I believe 1/4" mpt and inserting a short piece of 1/4" brass pipe for a new stack or lamp adapter and going to something plastic. Then you can put the wires in the smoke box front and from there to a electrical connector. Sounds confusing but not really. If I can ever get a picture to come up I will post it for you, Bill

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Alec, the original smoke unit to replace the dummy one is # 65103 which was a stack with the smoke unit built in, it had a on/off leaver at the bottom of which the smoke could have been turned on and off. A small brass strip soldered to one of the front motor block electrical leads and was tucked down the hole that the stack fit in. The other motor lead had a (usually yellow) wire soldered to it and it ran down the side of the motor block between it and the outer case terminating at the bottom and hooked (screwed ) to the leaver that rotated to the bottom of the stack, just below where nut that holds the engine together is. The only problem with what you've got is where to run the wires from the new smoke unit. I have done by removing the original stack, taping the lead weight to a bold size and running a bolt from the bottom up to secure the engine together, taping a hole I believe 1/4" mpt and inserting a short piece of 1/4" brass pipe for a new stack or lamp adapter and going to something plastic. Then you can put the wires in the smoke box front and from there to a electrical connector. Sounds confusing but not really. If I can ever get a picture to come up I will post it for you, Bill
2e1c7cc2ce9299761168efe64a78a9f6.jpg
98caceac62b07441d8b09aeff0b6c0ea.jpg

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This thread popping up reminds me that II must get around to finishing fitting that pulsed smoke unit into my Otto.

A

Alec K

Bill, forgive my slow reply - been on a visit to GWR Museum at Swindon all day! Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I never did manage to fit the smoke unit before having to lift the line on which the OTTO ran. We have today had an offer accepted on a house with a garden very suitable indeed for the re-opening of the garden line. It may be a while yet, but your kind advice will be followed to the letter!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, forgive my slow reply - been on a visit to GWR Museum at Swindon all day! Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I never did manage to fit the smoke unit before having to lift the line on which the OTTO ran. We have today had an offer accepted on a house with a garden very suitable indeed for the re-opening of the garden line. It may be a while yet, but your kind advice will be followed to the letter!
Alec, you are more than welcome and if you need anything else, just remember they are only suggestions, good luck and congratulations on the new home, Bill