ESU LokSound 5 XL Installation: LGB Uintah Locomotive Video Demo

LGB333

LGB333

I only been using the ESU 5 XL Sound Decoders for three months now and just completed my third installation into a customer's LGB Uintah locomotive. Included in this install are: Massoth Pulsed Smoker; Massoth Firebox Module; Massoth LED Spotlights for headlight/cab light and custom installed rear light (Uintah's don't have any); Massoth Visaton FRS5 5
Watt speaker with custom-made baffle........see photo below. The vast array of features and settings on these decoders is amazing, much more comprehensive and, I must admit more complex, than the Massoth sound decoders that I've been installing for the last five years. But the sound quality is outstanding. Massoth is coming out by the end of the year with their new XLSC upgraded DCC sound decoder and I'm hopeful they'll have improved the quality of the chuff sounds for the American steam locomotives on their new release. To program all the features of the ESU DCC decoders you must use their ESU LokProgrammer but individual CVs can still be programmed with your DCC system's Service Mode.

You can see short demo videos on my website of the ESU 5 XL decoders I've installed into the LGB Uintah, LGB Mogul and LGB Forney locomotives.
Website: LGB Trains | Old Dominion Railways | Repairs & DCC Installs | United States

vlcsnap-2020-08-11-08h36m16s482.png vlcsnap-2020-08-11-08h36m16s482.png

Last edited:
AusrailQLD

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Nice work!
Funny enough, I just acquired one of these fine locomotives 3 days ago, and been debating on whether to get it DCC fitted or not.

LGB333

LGB333

Nice work!
Funny enough, I just acquired one of these fine locomotives 3 days ago, and been debating on whether to get it DCC fitted or not.
If you plan to do the DCC conversion yourself, don't hesitate to ask for any advice. The hardest challenge is putting the loco back together......took me about 1 1/2 hours!