ESU ECoS DCC System , Any Thoughts?

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Folks,

Keep thinking about getting a nice DCC system? I currently have the bachmann dynamis .. It does what I want but Im starting to look at something "better"

Has anyone got any experience with the ESU Ecos range? The ECOS 50200 "Colour Screen Version" really looks interesting!

Cheers

Dan

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
Hi Dan,

From the lack of response I guess that no one is using one of these currently.

I use a Dynamis, which is made by ESU, so I looked at these to see if it would be a useful way to upgrade.
There does not seem to be anyone locally who stocks these so I can not actually get my hands on one.

I find the web site hard to follow, lots of text and little information. You have to read through 500 self serving words of how wonderful it is before you find that it is limited to 4amp. The web site strikes me as being written with the existing user in mind. They do have a booster that is 8 amp rated so in theory you have a 12 amp system.

The quality of the English does not help with the understanding, for example:-
[BLOCKQUOTE] Because the Central Station® is basically a small computer, the system lives of subsequent updates. Many functions of the new world were initially not yet finished and should be retrofitted. This was not the case and the Central Station® owners asked themselves frustrated what are the reasons for this compulsive break. ESU showed afterwards with the ECoS how to continue developing the successful Central Station® concept for the purposes of the customers and showed the public new, inovative ideas. After one finally made the upgrade to version 2.0.4. the development of the Central Station® no longer be pursued.
[/BLOCKQUOTE] If you pursue it any further I would be interested to know how you get on since I have not yet decided on the upgrade route to follow.

rjstott

DIY, Photography, Electronics and Computers
8 Jan 2010
Lougratte, France
Best answers
Hi,

I have the ECOS black and white earlier model. The programming modes are excellent and there is some automatic train control built in (to run a two stop there and back branch line). I've connected the unit to a couple of computerised train control systems and it functioned as expected. I've run a couple of software updates which added some interface changes and all went well with that too. Most of my loco units are ESU too but for carriage lighting I've configured some cheaper control chips which work just fine too. The S88 interface works as expected. The engineering done by ESU is good and their warranty is excellent. Basically if anything breaks (electrically) then it's replaced free of charge. The only thing I haven't tried is the handheld units.

Regards

Richard

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replys guys, I might just take the plunge and get one .. The ablity to hook it up to my PC and also use an Iphone application to control my trains looks amazing !