Electrical connections on track - a positive experience.

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
On GSM and here there are often requests for information on maintaining a good electricity supply through the track with many requests asking how frequently the electrical connections should occur. Responses normally cover graphite grease, rail clamps etc. Since I have had a very satisfactory Sunday concerning track laying I thought that you might find my experience of some interest.

I had my track temporarily laid on some paving slabs. Unfortunately these are not far from the front door and during the winter our dogs redesigned the layout a little. I did consider relaying it all but knew from experience I would be repeating the exercise throughout the summer.

We do have a terrace that is around half and half gravel & slabs but until recently it was so overgrown that I could not lay track there. However the bad 2008/9 winter killed off some of those plants and late autumn last year we cleaned up the terrace removing a lot of the stuff that was there.

Last Sunday was the first dry and warmish day we have had so I took my courage in my hands, picked up the track and relaid it on the terrace. Since I was having to weave it around the remaining plants and ornaments I just laid it as it came with no grease, clamps etc. By the end of the day it was all laid with just half a dozen small pieces left over. It forms a sort of unbalanced pear shaped oval and turns out to be 164 feet long.

This Sunday I thought that I would move to the next phase. I knew that I was going to need to undertake a lot of work to get anything operational, remember I had not even cleaned the track, but I thought that I would start by putting a train on the track and seeing how it got on. It totally surprised me when it got stuck in only two places. Since I am using Aristo-Craft track I used screws to connect the track in those areas and sure enough I had no further problems all afternoon.

Towards the end of the day I got my camera to take some photographs to show you all but of course the batteries were flat. However I will load some as soon as I can.

GrahamMills

25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I finally got a chance to take some photos.
This is the track layout
9c865a2171664e33b83db23090179840.jpg
ca630993fcbc466ba8c80de5091077fc.jpg

GrahamMills

25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
see next message

GrahamMills

25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
and here are some pictures of a chuff chuff.
b5da4c5a6be94936bf872f22b19b8155.jpg
8f8894d163784a33ae7c434bfe42dfe4.jpg
990978d0615e4c48abecf85cb7f5b72c.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
GrahamMills said:
This is the track layout
images
images
Wow, looks huuuuge! I almost thought it was OO track when I first saw it....

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
looking very good - fits in with the topographical obstacles as a railway should

GrahamMills

25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I was pleased that it worked. I was concerned that it would need tight curves in some places but the smallest I have used are 10ft and they could be replaced by 12.5fts. I need to add some sidings and I would like to add a second loop but I really do not think that there is room.

I was amazed at the amount of weeds that had grown in the couple of weeks since I had laid the track. The locos kept riding up on the weeds and losing power! What you see is after some weeding, need to find the Roundup.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
I know track is expensive but protecting it with cannons.......:admire: :D

GrahamMills

25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I knew people would spot the cannons and tried to think of a witty comment but yours was much better than anything I thought of.

The photos also show some of our Magnolias. I am a bit of a Magnolia fanatic and we moved here in order to grow them. They have given a good display this year.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
GrahamMills said:
I knew people would spot the cannons and tried to think of a witty comment but yours was much better than anything I thought of.

The photos also show some of our Magnolias. I am a bit of a Magnolia fanatic and we moved here in order to grow them. They have given a good display this year.

Graham
I also found Magnolians a lovly people and believe Genghis Khan was very misunderstood, but im not sure i could put up with them living in my garden if they arnt keeping the weeds a bay

Tony
PS very nice setting you have