electric uncoupler

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, just a quick question...how do LGB's electric uncoupler work? Is it constant pulse ac to raise the ramp then remove power so it drops, or similar to point motors, e.g. normal polarity to raise then reversed polarity to drop?
Many thanks, Tim

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It works exactly the same as a points motor

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, that's a pain, was hoping it would be power raise, no power drop. Ok, thanks for your help there, some working out required here for my wiring.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just as Big jack says. The motor raises the ramp and when sent another shot of voltage it drops it. The ramp stays up until told to sit down again....well behaved or what?

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Reason I was hoping to the other way is I have radio controlled my layout with a 3ch radio. 1 channel controls speed, 2nd channel controls the points at each end of the station (thats the two 'normal' channels used) leaving me with the 3rd channel which is either on or off, instead of backwards and forwards. Although useable to power the uncoupler, it may result in it being constantly powered up or down, which will eventually create a rather expensive puff of smoke. Or I may be able to use passing contacts...will have to delve deeper.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmmm youv'e got me there Tim. Perhaps the use of en epl (point motor) and auxillary switch would be a solution to the way of powering it, then maybe that still does not cure the constant feed from the radio control prob, or maybe it does........... There are other brains greater than mine on this forum who have probably got an answer ready to fall out of their heads...

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
If ch3 will operate a servo, why not consider making your own powered uncoupling ramp from a manual LGB one ?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Train-Li make a infra red controlled auto uncoupler saw it at a train show worked really well, not sure about outside though?

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
what about a change-over relay and two small time delay circuit's?
when you switch it on it powers the relay feeding the 1st time delay circuit and when you power down it would feed another time delay circuit.

Nobody:nerd: said it would be easy but it can be done:wits:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I like the above ideas, but I've just managed to make a really simple method using an old tamiya mechanical speed controller. It has a wiper that passes over several contacts for controlling the speed and direction or an rc car and is operated from a servo. I've managed to make it so that the wiper breifly touches two contacts as it wipes from one throw to the other, sending an up pulse when the servo operates one way, and a close pulse when moving the other way. It works on a point motor, just need to order an uncoupler now. Jeremy a Dragon isn't showing any in stock, might ask if he can locate one for me.
Thanks for your help guys, saved me alot of messing about!

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
glendale have one in the secondhand section

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
glendale have one in the secondhand section

Shhh, been trying to keep that quiet until I can magically make £30 go missing from our account! :rofl:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
Train-Li make a infra red controlled auto uncoupler saw it at a train show worked really well, not sure about outside though?

The cats would keep triggering something like that, although it would be quite fun to watch them jump as they walk past and operate it!!!

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
nicebutdim said:
minimans said:

The cats would keep triggering something like that, although it would be quite fun to watch them jump as they walk past and operate it!!!

Blimey you've got infra red cats???????? I bet they look cool at night.........................

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
nicebutdim said:
minimans said:

Blimey you've got infra red cats???????? I bet they look cool at night.........................

Armed moggies with night sights? Mice beware! And stoopid wimmins that put off-duty moggies in bins :eek:nphone:

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
pugwash said:
minimans said:
nicebutdim said:
minimans said:

Armed moggies with night sights? Mice beware! And stoopid wimmins that put off-duty moggies in bins :eek:nphone:

88852ba75db9406b91b2efb4183549ac.gif

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Who's having the fun? The feline or the rodent?