ebay Mike’s expedition THE PICTURES. - Just the pictures please.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Dunnybahn.

So Mike arrived here this morning, not quite as expeditiously as expected thus he missed his connection from Gernrode. But a quick Taxi ride to Magdesprung saw him greeted by the DR‘s very own version if Sir Topham Hat Herr Zylinder. Note the one coach Train with a Beer Wagon included, I wonder if they know something we do not? Mike was lucky as a rare passing move was observed whilst he was at the Station with a Train heading towards Gernrode with a Black Mallet.
51118276-6C0E-4809-A397-C35BFFFDBD14.jpeg
Herr Zylinder aquatints MIke with the safety features to be observed when riding the balcony. But at least you get to appreciate the thrash of the Green Mallett.
9C29FA2F-F817-4E5C-A4B9-01712F9336F3.jpeg
Further up the line Mike appreciates the industrial drabness as his train arrives at Magdesprung.
B5E0DF07-9BE3-40B5-B716-DEC2C32C43B2.jpeg
But then things improves as Mike gets to look up the Valley going over the Viaduct.
4FFC05BB-913D-4FC1-8E60-4EF204C41762.jpeg
Retracing steps to Alexisbad there is quite a long wait for a Train in the other direction which connect with Mike’s Train to Harzegerode so he decides to investigate the Mitropa for refreshment - but gets diverted a little! Meanwhile the other connecting Train is just running into the Station as 5906 indulges in a spot of Shunting.
D089A827-9238-4222-861F-0F6D46958707.jpeg
The Bahnhof Fuhrer has turned round and is waving off Mike’s Train to Harzegeride, get a move on Mike that is not the place to linger and look at the Mallet when Lokfuhrer Herr Schneller is in charge of the Loco.
C2F70664-EE0D-4581-8EA7-D2728C80A01B.jpeg
Phew just made it!
1CDF703D-A937-436F-9287-ECDD2062B167.jpeg
On arrival at Herzegerode Mike meets up with some of the interesting characters to be found at a typical East German Bahnhof.
F7FD6ECC-EA68-43C8-AEB9-3D9561058326.jpeg
But Mike must board the Railcar that has just run into the Station, this will retrace some of his tracks but take him on to Wernigerode via Eisefelder Talmhüle where en route may be able to get a trip up the Broken from Drie Annan Hohne if he is lucky.
CD6A2BB4-D125-4BB2-8CAE-A6E9E263E7F9.jpeg66707AD7-6E1F-40E4-82CE-C9A18410D65F.jpegThus Mike’s day at the Dunnybahn comes to a close as he wings his way back to UK to visit David in Ascot.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oops I forgot one of the pictures. Mike on a pile of Massoth Track Clamps to get a better view of part of the Loft Railway. 2 lines in one visit, I hope he had an adequate Safety Briefing before standing on those Clamps,
72A22CE1-F7B6-433F-9E5A-359FCAE566C1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The Steyrtalbahn.

Mike arrived at the small Austrian town of Grünburg. He had flown EasyJet into Linz, or Vienna West as they call it, miraculously with luggage, and then a gruelling coach ride as part of the all-inclusive transfer to somewhere near Bahnhof Grünburg. A local walker showed him the way to the station.

IMG_20201206_142440.jpg

Having arrived at the station he met the station master. He wanted to ask directions to his hotel and to buy his ticket for tomorrow’s train ride, but was slightly surprised to find it was 1974. Bit of an awkward moment when he realised that a) they did not take plastic and b) the few Euro notes he had caused some amusement. Mike speaks a bit of German but struggled a bit with the Austrian accent.

IMG_20201206_142642.jpg

Luckily, the station master, Herr Müller spoke English. “United European currency, you’re having a laugh mate, never happen. Got any Schillings? No? Travellers Cheques? You could cash those in at the bank in Klaus. No? Oh dear.”

He could see Mike was a bit crestfallen at this news. Not having ready access to a bureau de change or a time machine was going to be a bit of a problem. “Never mind” says Herr Müller, “You’re a train enthusiast, and I like the cut of your jib. You can work your passage back to Linz, and you can stay here for the night, the misses will show you your room then you can get to work cleaning the windows.”

IMG_20201206_142752.jpg

Having inspected his room, and the ample bosom of Frau Müller, he got on with his work. Nice chaps, these people, even though they have heads the size of footballs, he thought, as he shimmied up the ladder.

IMG_20201206_142954.jpg

He seems reluctant to let go of his suitcase, they thought.

As it was early evening, a meal and some refreshments were in order.

IMG_20201206_143236.jpg

Frau Müller had found some sterilised milk and tinned ravioli which she thought this strange British man might like. This was the 1970’s after all. Herr Müller offered him some local beer. The beer glasses are quite big here, he thought, but it would be rude to refuse.

Next day he was asked to help with loading coal onto the loco assigned to shunting duties, and in return he could have a ride on the footplate. Mike was delighted to assist.

IMG_20201206_143521.jpg

IMG_20201206_145351.jpg

Got a bit mucky with all the coal and whatnot but Frau Müller offered to sponge his suit clean.

IMG_20201206_144837.jpg

He got to visit the signal box to admire the work building the new goods loop.

IMG_20201206_143925.jpg

After lunch Herr Müller said “We’ve got you a cheap ticket back to Linz via Garsten. Cattle class mind, but you’ve earned it”. No problem thought Mike, I’m used to cattle class on EasyJet.

IMG_20201206_144127.jpg

The time came for his train to arrive.

IMG_20201206_144303.jpg

Nice coach he thought as a red 4-Bip went past. That looks basic but comfortable.

IMG_20201206_144417.jpg

Then a dining car. Even better, he thought, maybe have some Apfelstrudel on the way back!

IMG_20201206_144454.jpg

Then he realised that cattle class was a bit literal.

IMG_20201206_144516.jpg

“Never mind”, said Herr Müller, “it’s a nice day, you can stand on the balcony if you don’t like the smell”.

IMG_20201206_144635.jpg

Mike waved goodbye to his new friends. He had got his narrow-gauge steam train ride, even got a ride on the footplate, but was looking forward to getting back to Blighty and the twenty-first century. Next stop, Norwich!

Reactions: 2 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
1607874675620.png

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you "Here am I floating 'round my tin can
Far above the moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Mini Mike appears to have been lost in a time warp :confused: watch this space :nerd:

EDIT - ship's dog 11:45 14.12.2020

The Eagle has landed :):):):)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mike's time travels continue, back in time, way back, to the Wild West Norfolk Route somewhere in the '40s, but as he couldn't find a taxi, a friendly local drove him to the Depot at Green River shanty town

DSCF1941.JPG

Times are getting hard for the railroads, and the place is looking a bit neglected. Even in time travel, you end up waiting for a train, and Mike's travelling companion doesn't seem to be saying much.

DSCF1945.JPG

So while he was waiting, Mike struck up a conversation with a friendly train engineer who had just brought the plow up to Green River in case of more snow.

DSCF1943.JPG

After a while, Mike heard a strange grumbling sound and realised that he would be travelling in a railbus :eek: welcome to the Galloping Goose. Mike was worried that it wouldn't get very far, but there was no option, and he had to squeeze between the two old biddies in the back seat

DSCF1947.JPG

............ and off to his next destination, leaving Green River, passing Crossways Mission, and headed out to .........................................

DSCF1950.JPG

Quo Vadis ?

Reactions: 3 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, Rhino, very impressive stories so far, a high standard to live up to. When Mini Mike gets to TDF Rly, the back story may not be as elaborate :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
What has happened to mini-Mike? No sighting of him in 2021. Perhaps he's hibernating.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
What has happened to mini-Mike? No sighting of him in 2021. Perhaps he's hibernating.
I think he's locked down in Staffordshire :mask: Had his sandwiches confiscated at the border :D:D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Really enjoyed that story. Thank you for your imagination.....:clap:

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, Rhino, very impressive stories so far, a high standard to live up to. When Mini Mike gets to TDF Rly, the back story may not be as elaborate :)
True, and I feel that lowlier folks with lowlier railways mustn't be shy to post their lowlier stories. I am certainly in that category.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Mini Mike has arrived here just east of Norwich but he appears to have brought the rain with him.

IMG_1335.jpg

Didn't take him long to make friends with the locals but not sure of his location.

IMG_1338.jpg

Hopefully the rain will stop some time, enough for a meander through the shrubbery.

Paul

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
A new day and the weather has definitely improved. Mini-Mike first headed down to a very busy Dockside Station.

IMG_1348.jpg

Despite his usual expression he is actually very friendly and people warm to him quickly. The captain allowed him to tour the bridge where MM thought about his future international travel plans. He hoped any boat would be bigger than this one.

IMG_1350.jpg

Every town has their eccentric but this one was harmless and a jolly conversation was had while waiting for his local tram to depart.

IMG_1352.jpg

The tram soon departed for a trip around the local network.

IMG_1353.jpg

At one station they were giving thrill rides to anyone who wanted. MM laughs in the face of Health & Safety.

IMG_1354.jpg

Time for the return to Dockside Station but in a different tram.

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

Much to see here but after his long winter rest MM has got the taste back for more travel so tomorrow he is off again, Somerset bound where I believe he might be hoping to partake of scrumpy. Not too much MM.

Paul

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Mike arrived at the Wagon and Horses for his visit to the Tumble down Falls Railway on Somerset Day (11 May), and was invited to the (Covid safe) gathering in the pub garden, unfortunately, due to restrictions the press were not invited:

Due to inclement weather Mike's visit to the railway is postponed for a couple of days, he is hoping to get around the railway over the weekend :)

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Mike arrived at the Wagon and Horses for his visit to the Tumble down Falls Railway on Somerset Day (11 May), and was invited to the (Covid safe) gathering in the pub garden, unfortunately, due to restrictions the press were not invited:

Due to inclement weather Mike's visit to the railway is postponed for a couple of days, he is hoping to get around the railway over the weekend :)
I trust the pub's management have royal consent to fly the red lion rampant!

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I trust the pub's management have royal consent to fly the red lion rampant!
That is the formal Somerset Flag (Wyvern Rampant), not to be confused with the Scottish flag which is quite different :)

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Mike on his walk from the Coach and Horses to the Tumble Down Falls Railway (TDF) station of Wyvern Halt took in a few sites
First were the Japanese gardens, Photo 1

Next, he looked at the old General Store Photo, 2

Finally, the Wyvern carving, after which the station was named, Photo 3

On arriving at the station, he was greeted by the “Fat Controller” (FC), Photo4, who provided Mike with a brief overview of the line’s history:

Starting with the open cast mine on Down Hill, and single-track line down to meet with the main line. The mine flooded, closing the mine and line but was the event that caused the falls. Some years later the line was reopened for tourists, and made into a circular tour, and current plans for an extension.

The lines latest acquisition Railbus “11” is the vehicle for the tour.

First stop was Playmobil siding where the local group were meeting, Photo 5, special dispensation had been granted to allow the Railbus to stop on the route and Mike and FC allowed to alight.

The Railbus stopped at the mini arboretum where paths and more planting is required, Photo 6.

Next Mike was shown the Falls, which were a result of mine collapse and after which the Railway is named, Photo 7.

Monument hill was the next stop, where the imported Greek pillars are situated, Photo 8.

The FC is extremely proud of the motive power department, so a visit to the engine shed was in order, Photo 9.

Though I do not feel Mike was that interested, the FC had to show him the work on the new extension, Photo 10.

Last stop was lower falls bridge, Photo 11.

With the tour complete, they returned to Wyvern Halt, where the 10-wheeler had just pulled in, Photo 12.

Mike thanked the FC for the tour and said he would very much like to come back when the line was finished – the FC spluttered, shook hands and Mike departed.

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
So here we meet up again with Mike at Scarborough. He arrived the week before we went down to Norfolk and the weather prevented any photography before we left. I asked if he wanted to come with us, but he said he'd rather stay. The SHA railway (Seaport Harbour Authority) is only in its infancy so I'll start with a video I made earlier. Eventually, it will extend across to the smaller raised structure in the foreground to make a large loop with a short siding replacing the nearer track.

Mike arrives at Adelstrop Stration much to the interest of the locals who are greatly intrigued by the strange person with immoveable head and arms.

1. Arrival.JPG

The special train arrives and Mike (who never carried any money on him) is shocked to see that the guard has a money satchel with him.

2. The guard.JPG

The stationmaster takes Mike quietly to one side and explains that as a guest travel is free for him. (I must have a word with the stationmaster about not wearing that ridiculous ginger wig when he has a black moustache.)

3. The station master.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The train pauses where the line goes over the river running down to Seaport. Mike peers cautiously from the open doorway at the raging torrent.

4a. The waterfall.JPG

The raging torrent.

4b. The waterfall.JPG

Someone else staring is Doris the duck, she and Francis (the drake) are considering moving into the area and are a bit touchy about neighbours.

5. I-spy strangers.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Suddenly, as if a giant hand had picked him up and whisked him through the air, Mike finds himself overlooking the beginnings of the harbour basin with the clerk of works explaining the grand plan to him.

6a. Inpecting the harbour.JPG

To Mike's mind, the plan and the space available seem incompatible, 6b. Inspecting the harbour.JPG

Then, before he can voice his concerns, he is just as suddenly back on the main structure again with the stationmaster flagging down a passing goods train.

7. Flagging down the train.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Fortunately, there was room on the platform of the last wagon for them both to travel. Mike wished that there was also time to open one of the casks of wine in the wagon.

8. The ride back.JPG

The train slowed to a halt where a chauffeur driven open tourer was waiting to take Mike on to the next stage of his journey.

9. Onward.JPG

"Strange bloke," thought the stationmaster, "never a single movement out of him. Ah well, it takes all sorts to make the world."