Do sound boards 'switch off' under load

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I mentioned last week that I was having odd problems with the sound on my system.

After much more playing (testing) it appears that locos running light engine have sound working fine virtually on all parts of my railway. However, with a load in tow, one of the locos (An LGB Stainz chassis with a Digitrax chip for motor control and a Tsunami for sound) looses it's sound in most places. Starts off ok but as soon as the power is cranked up, off goes the sound. When brought to a stop, I get all the sound back.

Another loco - a Bachmann Lyn, again with Digitrax motor control and Tsunami sound - is less troublesome, but also looses sound when going up a grade, or when pulling a heavy train round a bend.

Is this normal? Is there a fix?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Most odd I've never heard of it happening. I can only assume it's some weird interaction between the chips. Is the Tsunami feeding off the digitrax one or directly off track power? It could be the Tsunami doesn't like the higher current being draw and is shutting down for protection or it's not getting enough power to run the sounds when the motor is drawing a higher share of the current. My initial suspicion is you are feeding the Tsunami through the digitrax as you get a similar current robbing effect with LEDs if they aren't fed separately.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting thought Paul,

I think I need to check my connections. You may be spot on.

Thanks