DCC on house wifi network

Litninbolt

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Phoenix
Country flag
So is their a DCC system or appliance out there that allows me to run my train yard with iPad using my whole house wifi, which has great yard coverage? I have Digitrax but their LNWI wifi module is a local WAP only. I can’t join it to my lan, I’m told. Is their a device, or even a different DCC system that would allow that. Seems a reasonable goal for operation

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
Well... way back in 2009 I had JMRI PanelPro running on a notebook, through WiFi to a Lantronix ethernet to serial port driver box and into my NCE PowerPro. To be honest we didn't really like it as a method of control and didn't use it often, but it was an interesting experiment. Visibility of the screen in bright daylight was a real problem, and I do prefer a traditional handheld throttle with knobs and buttons to screen-based control of model trains.
DSCN1185a.JPG

I'm sure there are much better ways to achieve this now.

Reactions: 1 user

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Country flag
You never tried the phone app? that is what he is asking... I agree clunky on a pc.
Isn't an iPad a tablet? Will it run iPhone apps? I know very little about Apple products. I have a Monocacy trains app that runs natively on my 5" Fire Tablets but won't run on the 10" version. (They went out of business before they explained why.) I also agree that physical buttons and knobs are better for train control than a touch screen on any device. Tactile feedback beats constantly glancing at a screen to see if your finger is touching the right place on the screen.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
No, iPad does not run all iPhone apps...

Android apps are free and work fine.

the OP wants a phone app, not contrasting knobs (which I like better too) to touchscreens... a very specific question was asked.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
The Märklin CS3 has had this native for quite a while. I've been using it for 4 years now. The only potential issue is that that each booster is limited to 5 amps. Has not been a problem for me as I've got two boosters in addition to the central station. The CS3 is multi-protocol - mfx, DCC and MM. You can turn off what you don't want. It can be DCC only if that's what you desire. The only limitation is that CS3 needs to be directly connected to your wireless router with a 10baseT cable (Cat 5e, Cat 6, etc.). The CS3 itself is not wireless.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
No, iPad does not run all iPhone apps...

Android apps are free and work fine.

the OP wants a phone app, not contrasting knobs (which I like better too) to touchscreens... a very specific question was asked.

Greg
Currently I have only found Watsapp that will ONLY run on my iPhone, everything else works on both. Obviously if one app won't run on both there may be others, but my understanding why Watsapp does not run is because my iPad is WiFi only i.e. no sim card.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
Currently I have only found Watsapp that will ONLY run on my iPhone, everything else works on both. Obviously if one app won't run on both there may be others, but my understanding why Watsapp does not run is because my iPad is WiFi only i.e. no sim card.
WhatsApp is through your phone number, so yes, a Sim card is necessary

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Country flag
I do prefer a traditional handheld throttle with knobs and buttons to screen-based control of model trains.
I have a (live steam) loco with a WiFi receiver installed that works from an app on my (android) phone. In theory it could drive an ESC for electric/battery operation. I like it, but I don't think they are made these days.

DrBoB1001

Registered
5 Jan 2022
Canada
Country flag
So is their a DCC system or appliance out there that allows me to run my train yard with iPad using my whole house wifi, which has great yard coverage? I have Digitrax but their LNWI wifi module is a local WAP only. I can’t join it to my lan, I’m told. Is their a device, or even a different DCC system that would allow that. Seems a reasonable goal for operation
This is something I’m working on right now. I’m using JMRI, and I have a DCCEX+ I have built myself along with a Pi-Sprog to try out. Goal is to use the various JMRI throttle apps on phone/iPad and even trigger sounds on some Bluetooth speakers Ive put in and around the layout, and view/monitor via cameras Ive staged.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
You never tried the phone app? that is what he is asking... I agree clunky on a pc.
Er... nope I don't own a smartphone and have no desire to . Can't stand the things :)
The closest I've ever got to a tablet device is my Lenovo Yoga laptop and to be honest I've probably only ever used its touchscreen capabilities twice.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
So you used the graphic interface of JMRI software "throttle" with a mouse? UGH.... I saw the picture and winced. Surely what was shown in the window was much worse than having a cheap tablet or phone.

I use the pc graphic interface in JMRI when confirming programming at a fixed location with a proper keyboard and mouse, never walking around the garden.

Getting a laptop to work in full sunlight requires an extremely bright screen. The implementation you used was not representative of typical use, even indoors.

I'll bet though, your kid would love a smartphone throttle!

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
Isn't an iPad a tablet? Will it run iPhone apps? I know very little about Apple products. I have a Monocacy trains app that runs natively on my 5" Fire Tablets but won't run on the 10" version.
This points to the advantage of the Märklin implementation. It runs on your browser so anything that supports a browser such as Edge, IE, Safari, Firefox, or Chrome can be used as a wireless controller.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 3.29.40 PM.png

This is what it looks like on a laptop. I also use my iPhone and an Amazon Fire 7 tablet. There is a pull-down menu for devices with switch addresses. A pull-up menu has all your locos. Drag-and-drop is used to load a loco to one of the two controllers on the left or right. Dragging the red loco button reveals the function buttons. Speed is controlled by dragging on the speedometer bar.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
you can see that on an iPhone? and use for a throttle?

I think we are getting far afield, he wants to run trains on an iPad (although I would use something much smaller than an iPad to "run a train", I have a bunch of old iPhones that work fine)

I have seen this MTS interface, and it is not too bad, but there are architectural quirks that mean you have to learn the ins and outs, but this is for more sophisticated control and automation.

I have watched the official videos about it, and when people call in with problems, you really have to know the tricks.

Again, way off the topic of what was asked.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
Here's the display on my Fire 7 using the Silk browser. The iPhone display is very similar but much better with the higher screen resolution. I don't know how to do a screen shot on my phone. The pull-down/pull-up menus are hidden away. The green and red bars at the top and bottom are the menu handles. I only had the menus open on the laptop display to show what was accessible. Turnouts can be operated by touch on the track plan or the pull-down menu. I find the menu most convenient for throwing turnouts. The track plan can be moved around by dragging or zoomed in/out by finger pinching.

192.168.0.16 - 1.jpeg

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
It would be interesting to have a thread on automation software. I surely would not carry a tablet around all day if I walked around with my trains, (which I do).

BUT

If I was sitting and could see the whole layout, having the trackplan (and I would guess occupancy indicators) would be fun.

I don't do automation myself, but appreciate that many do and enjoy it.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
you can see that on an iPhone? and use for a throttle?
YES! A user becomes quite adept on the iPhone. The phone size is actually pretty convenient as a throttle. It's actually my first choice. A quick glance locates a finger on the throttle bar. Moving the finger up or down to change the speed becomes intuitive after just a few uses. Just like you can touch your nose with your eyes closed!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Here's the display on my Fire 7 using the Silk browser. The iPhone display is very similar but much better with the higher screen resolution. I don't know how to do a screen shot on my phone. The pull-down/pull-up menus are hidden away. The green and red bars at the top and bottom are the menu handles. I only had the menus open on the laptop display to show what was accessible. Turnouts can be operated by touch on the track plan or the pull-down menu. I find the menu most convenient for throwing turnouts. The track plan can be moved around by dragging or zoomed in/out by finger pinching.

View attachment 294229
Screen shot on an iPhone or iPad is the same, press both front and side (on/off) buttons together.

Dagnall

Registered
17 May 2016
HAYLING island
Country flag
Forgive me if I am "treading on toes", but I do not see much reference on this Forum to Rocrail. I know its mainly German based, but it really is an excellent eco system!.

I originally explored JMRI and other "PC" based systems, but found Rocrail was best - although it does have quirks.!
But it has everything you might need!. For example, it has an inbuilt Web browser based remote control. In other words, once set up and running on your PC, you just point your browser to its address (mine was 192.168.0.104:8088) and you get a copy of the main PC view on your Phone.
This is my ECLR layout as seen on the PC:
Screenshot 2022-01-16 110610.jpg

And this is an example of the display you get on the phone. Here I have opened up the throttle control for Stainz.

smaller.jpg

If you want a physical handset with RocRail, then one option is to use a "WIO Control" - A kit that gives you a real physical knob to control the speed!..
The display is tiny, but then so is the price, and its DIY!

Personally, I just like the way that RocRail automatic mode runs the trains for me, so I have time to watch and enjoy the grandchildren's reaction.
Cheers
Dagnall
Screenshot 2022-01-16 112425.jpg