Custom Cast and Machined Drivers

norman

Registered
1 Jan 2013
Country flag
Hi,

What Firms over in ENGLAND offer the service of Custom Machined Locomotive Drivers ?

I am looking for the HUDSON Style of Locomotive Drivers for a Locomotive to run on 2 1/8 Inch " Wide Gauge " or " Standard Gauge " Tinplate Track.

Thank you,

Norman

Reactions: 1 user

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Country flag
Hi Norman,

I'm not exactly sure what Hudson drivers in particular look like but Walsall Model Industries have quite a large selection, I believe that they will also machine the correct flanges for you too.

If you can get someone to build you the design in 3D CAD there is also the option of having them printed (steel or stainless) or cast (brass) by someone like Shapeways. There might be smaller, local companies that are able to do the same thing at a lower cost.

All the best,
Ricky :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Hi Norman,

I'm not exactly sure what Hudson drivers in particular look like but Walsall Model Industries have quite a large selection, I believe that they will also machine the correct flanges for you too.

If you can get someone to build you the design in 3D CAD there is also the option of having them printed (steel or stainless) or cast (brass) by someone like Shapeways. There might be smaller, local companies that are able to do the same thing at a lower cost.

All the best,
Ricky :)
I seem to recall that Hudson drivers are similar to our Boxpok wheels, as favoured by O V Bulleid ;);)

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Country flag
that Hudson drivers are similar to our Boxpok wheels
The NYC J Clas Hudsons came with 3 different wheel types. Boxpok was one, ordinary spoked was another, and the ones I like were Scullin disk wheels. Here's 2 J3as with boxpok, and one Scullin disk.

6985561_orig.jpg

However, I believe Norman is looking for regular spoked wheels, like these:

drivers.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
The NYC J Clas Hudsons came with 3 different wheel types. Boxpok was one, ordinary spoked was another, and the ones I like were Scullin disk wheels. Here's 2 J3as with boxpok, and one Scullin disk.

6985561_orig.jpg

However, I believe Norman is looking for regular spoked wheels, like these:

drivers.jpg
Ah, our offering with Boxpok wheels looked like this - no spoked alternatives ;);)

21C123_Kingscote.jpg

and as later rebuilt

atkxw1.jpg

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
Ah, our offering with Boxpok wheels looked like this - no spoked alternatives ;);)
The term "Boxpok" is also sometimes used to describe the Bulleid Firth Brown (BFB) wheel in use on British railways at that time, but this is incorrect; while the BFB is similar to the Boxpok, one side of each box section is left open, so is not a true box structure unlike the Baldwin,

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
The term "Boxpok" is also sometimes used to describe the Bulleid Firth Brown (BFB) wheel in use on British railways at that time, but this is incorrect; while the BFB is similar to the Boxpok, one side of each box section is left open, so is not a true box structure unlike the Baldwin,
Ooh - you live and learn :nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Ditto Jimmy, I do the same, a giant online encyclopedia... the only problem is separating the wheat from the chaff, even Wikipedia cannot always be relied on.

Greg
But, in this case, it wold appear that our Boxpok wheels are genuine fakes o_O:confused:

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user