Control systems for an LGB layout.

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to get a LGB Mikado and start up my g-scale journey again. Last time I used model trains was late 80's so I'm not too familiar with the new control systems. What's a good cost to features system I can use on the Mikado and my old 99 5001. I will only have these 2 engine for awhile.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Oh dear! ;)

I hope you have a tin-hat? :giggle::giggle:

Do you want to be analogue, track-power? Are you thinking perhaps DCC? Would you want to consider battery radio-control (with, or without DCC)?

All are possible, so you need to give us a few more clues:
How big is / will be your track?
How many loco's, do you aspire to? - How many do you want to run at any one time?
Do you want to control points (turnouts)?
Indoors, or outside?
What type of loco's? - Small single-motor, or large multi-motor / consists?

PhilP.

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
Oh dear! ;)

I hope you have a tin-hat? :giggle::giggle:

Do you want to be analogue, track-power? Are you thinking perhaps DCC? Would you want to consider battery radio-control (with, or without DCC)?

All are possible, so you need to give us a few more clues:
How big is / will be your track?
How many loco's, do you aspire to? - How many do you want to run at any one time?
Do you want to control points (turnouts)?
Indoors, or outside?
What type of loco's? - Small single-motor, or large multi-motor / consists?

PhilP.
I will try and answer what I can with my current knowledge. Based on what I have read I would like to do DCC. I wanna do 3 trains at once at some point that I would like to run together. Most likely all steam starting with Mikado. Maybe get a Piko BR50 then wait and see if LGB releases any other similar steam to a hudson or big boy.

As for track size I have some space. Maybe about the size of a 2 bedroom apt outside and yes I wanna use turnouts.

Thank you

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Excellent answers!

So.............
2-3 large loco's, DCC, turnout control..

You need (should aim for) a 10Amp system. - If you were in the UK, or Europe, then I would suggest looking at Marklin or Massoth..

My (limited) knowledge of what is in common use in the US: I would suggest looking at (no particular order) Zimo, NCE, Digitrax..

I will now bow-out,and let others make their suggestions..

PhilP.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
With your limited current needed, you could start out cheaper if needed.

(I always recommend 10 amps myself, but if cost is an issue, you could run these 2 locos with 5 since they are low current, but you may have to expand later)

You can set up a 5 amp system with an NCE PowerCab, and cheap power supplies and booster.

The DCC system itself is about $160, the 5 amp booster $50 and you can get a 5 amp power supply for about $18.

Greg

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
Thank you! I was looking to spend around 250 so that works out nicely. I will look into those.

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
How old is the Mikado you're getting? I have a very early one and though it is factory DCC fitted and I've not run it for some time, as I recall it's limited in it's address capabilities, doesn't support 128 speed steps (28 is ok) and possibly only does serial functions for the sounds. That hasn't stopped me running it with my NCE 10 amp system though.

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
How old is the Mikado you're getting? I have a very early one and though it is factory DCC fitted and I've not run it for some time, as I recall it's limited in it's address capabilities, doesn't support 128 speed steps (28 is ok) and possibly only does serial functions for the sounds. That hasn't stopped me running it with my NCE 10 amp system though.
I am ordering the most recent one.