Colorado Model Structures status?

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Hopes this helps this is from 1/8/2020 right now they are closed, owner is I talked to a distributer of their products at the Deland Railfair last Saturday

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Yes we know they are closed, but someone is rumored to have purchased the molds.

I know they moved from Florida back to Colorado, but now closed.

I'll keep asking about the molds.

Their facebook page has not been updated since 2018

Greg

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Didn't know they were ever in Florida, just the dealer that was authorized to sell their product was at the Deland, Florida show in January show, if sold that is good news, Bill

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
it can be difficult to find a specific entry on any of those forums without a lot of searching.
My trick: google "site:mylargescale.com colorado models" or whatever you want to search for. The same works for "site:largescalecentral.com x x x ".

carnellm

carnellm

Registered
OK, I hate to jump in here, especially as a never posted before member, but as this has gone to UK vs US vs European modeling type topic I need to ask a question. I am in the US but would like to model UK railways. I have easy access to US and European outline locos and rolling stock, but all I ever really see in UK outline is live steam. Unfortunately live steam is a bit beyond my means - at least right now.

So the question is, who makes and where can one obtain UK outline models? I have picked up the ever ubiquitous Thomas loco and rolling stock, but would really like to obtain something a bit more authentic. I understand I will be paying shipping and such, but so far I really just can't find anything of Bachmann / LGB equivalence in UK outline.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
OK.......................
Hello Michael,
All are welcome here, no need to hide. :)

You say 'British Outline', but that is like saying 'American Outline'.. :wondering:

1. Standard guage, or narrow gauge?
2. Branch-line, or main-line?
3. Goods or passenger?
4. Pre, or post nationalisation? - British Railways, or a specific region / company?
5. What sort of era, do you want to model?
6. RTR (Ready-To-Run) or are you prepared to build?

As you have Thomas, etc. we can assume 45mm gauge track.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
This connects to Colorado Model Structures how? It went from UK vs. European? I think you were reading a different thread! This has only been on the Colorado Model Structures, as the topic title says.

We are still trying to find out what is going on, so can you move your off topic post to a different thread?

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
This connects to Colorado Model Structures how? It went from UK vs. European? I think you were reading a different thread! This has only been on the Colorado Model Structures, as the topic title says.

We are still trying to find out what is going on, so can you move your off topic post to a different thread?
Greg, I think this is known as major thread drift. Possibly or even probably caused by me......Sorry

F

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
As I don't take, or post pictures; in order to contribute to this thread; I can only suggest, if anyone is interested, that you take a look at the OVGRS web page to see the (Non-fishy) pike at www.ovgrs.org/

F

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Now I have contributed to thread drift....oh what was I thinking....sorry...

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Kind of puts a damper on finding out what would be of interest to many, to just go off and find out myself... we do have the "coffee" threads for idle chatter....

I'm afraid since it was a US company and US style buildings that no one cared... but we could leave the idle chatter off the thread....

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Michael, I have some thoughts on your questions, but you seem to have annoyed a few folk by posting in the middle of a thread about Colorado buildings. Don't let them bother you - just start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Mike Whitcomb

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
The last I heard was that the mold machine was broken and if Bruce could not find the part without having to re mortgage the house to fix it he was getting out of the business. He's in his 70s and didn't want to start over. This is the first I heard of a possible buy out. It would be a shame to lose CMS, hopefully some one comes thru.
20200215_103151.jpg

3 CMS buildings to make my station (Euro Style ) I moldel the Harzer schmalspurbahnen in Germany. I am in the USA

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I'm still tracking this down, but apparently the owner got hurt around Christmas and figured at 74 he was too old for this. My friend was contacted by Kalmbach about Colorado Model Structures, what it's status was.

Stay tuned.

Greg

Reactions: Mike Whitcomb
LGB333

LGB333

Out of interest, over here we have an awful lot of modellers into American themed railways, and obviously mainland European, do many people America model British or European outline?
Paul - I have no research data on your question, but my guess is that there are very few G scale hobbyists here in the USA that focus on Euro (including British) railroads. For example, when I first started into large scale, primarily LGB, as a hobby over 30 years ago, I bought one of the LGB Euro starter sets. I also then later bought several of the LGB German and American style locomotives. But about five years later when I was refining my small indoor layout, I decided I wanted to restructure my layout and trains to just American type railroads. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the Euro locomotives, and in 2018 bought two LGB/Marklin locos for my collection: The LGB's RhB Railway 50th LGB Anniversary Electric loco; and RhB's Heidi Steamer. I also bought a set of RhB passenger cars that can be used with either loco. But when attending the annual East Coast Large Scale Train Show, you see very few Euro locomotives for sale. And if you search on YouTube videos for LGB Trains, most of the videos are American style locomotives. Same goes for the large scale garden RR club I belong to, few Euro locos operating. So, my conclusions are only based on my observations, not any data collection. The original LGB company, Ernst Paul Lehmann Patentwerk Germany, starting make large G scale locomotives in 1968. But they didn't start making any American style locomotives until 16 years later with the production of the LGB 2018D Mogul in 1984. They obviously saw a profitable market potential in America and then went gang-busters with many other American style locomotives which they then seemed to focus on producing rather than new models of Euro locos until their 2006 bankruptcy. Conversely, since 2007 when Marklin bought the LGB production rights, they seem to have focused more on producing Euro locomotives.

Last edited: