Colorado Model Structures status?

T

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Hello all,
I'm a first time poster here - so hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. Does anyone know that status of Colorado Model Structures, located in Hotchkiss CO? Their website was up and running last fall, but is no working now and a phone call to the number on their Facebook page came up with the "no longer in service" message. A real shame if they have gone out of business, as they offered some really nice, unique structures that were well-built, and at a great price point. Hoping this is some short term hiatus. Any intel would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Trent

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Welcome to the forum, as you will soon find out, there's plenty of knowledge about most things available on here! Oh and humour, dodgy humour

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
But not that much on USA manufacturers! Trent, someone just bought the rights to make them, and it is in the USA. You do realize that most of the members here reside in the United Kingdom?

Someone mentioned this on either LSC or MLS

Greg

T

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Hi Greg - thanks for the quick reply! I do realize that most folks here are from the UK (I spend a fair amount of time in the UK - once a quarter at least over the past 10 years). I did not see anything on LargeScale Central or My Large Scale, but to be honest, it can be difficult to find a specific entry on any of those forums without a lot of searching. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place / using the right search string.

I'm glad to hear someone bought the molds and will spin it up. They aren't Pola quality, but the price has been excellent for something that is nearly as good as Piko IMHO.

Trent

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Out of interest, over here we have an awful lot of modellers into American themed railways, and obviously mainland European, do many people America model British or European outline?

SophieB

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Looking at many of the fascinating things others have created I would be very hesitant to say that I actually "model" anything, but our train garden has a much more European flavor than those of our friends here on the east cost of the US. Mostly Pola buildings and LGB/Piko European trains. That being said, we do have an area of it with Colorado Model Structures buildings and it would be a shame to see them go away.

T

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
From my observations, there are a lot more running European rather than British here in the US, I think simply due to availability of the locos and rolling stock, with LGB being the primary source for used and Piko for new. I don't see that many scratch building British or European here - most scratch building in the US seems to focus on narrow gauge lines. Having said that, there is a large group that does live steam scratch building here, and I'd say it's pretty even between British/Euro and US locos there. Just my opinion based on East Coast observations. Last time I lived on the West Coast I was right down the road from LGB America, so things have changed a lot. Personally, I've been mostly in acquisition mode; once I start building, I plan to focus more on British models, as the range of locos is fascinating.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Welcome! Mrs tac and I spend a lot of time in the PNW and in SE Canada, and see both 'full-fat' and NG lines, short and long. I build cars in Gauge 1 and Fn3 - standard and NG - but the track I run on has no theme except running, and therefore no buildings to lend it atmosphere like yours.

As Greg notes, this is mainly a UK-based forum, and the reason for not seeing much in the way of US stuff of any scale is undoubtedly due to the limited amount on sale here, as well as the often very high cost associated with necessarily large models of North American prototypes in any of the garden railway scales. Our best friend in this regard was undoubtedly Bachmann, and their range of gorgeous but often fragile Colorado-style models. I bleeve that Rhinochugger here cornered the market on them a while back, although I also have all of the geared locos and a couple of Connies. My K27 is the old Accucraft version of the K27, but even that, when it was new, was the thick end of $5000.

A few of us here have live steam US-outline in one or other of the GR scales - I have them in both Gauge 1 and Fn3 - but with the incredible variety to be found in the Welsh NG scene, as well as a thriving NG preservation and running movement here and over in Ireland and The Isle of Man, we can't be blamed for trying to emulate what we can easily see for real every day of the year.

I'd like to see a lot more from our US and Canadian GR fans, TBH. We all know, from watching Youtube or looking at the Garden Railway magazine, that some of the layouts both stateside and in Canada, as my dear old friend Fred in Nepean and I both know, are simply mind-blowing. Most of us here have had a quiet drool over Shawn Viggiano's wondrous Kitatinny line.....................

But whatever the scope of your pike, we want to see it.

Last edited:
beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
That looks a bit fishy :emo::emo:

• Haha
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
What scale is that then? :think:

• Haha
beavercreek

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
The model in post#9.. :):giggle:
As my real, non-fishy 'pike' has tortuous gradients and is based on the Rio Grande, perhaps I should try to model this...
The Pike Peak cog railway in Colorado..
Okay, enough pikey stuff... :)

1581096316842.png

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
beavercreek

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
It most certainly is not cod ...... oh dear thread shift is hard to control..... but there is a plaice for it...
Yes we had better get fins back on track

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
It most certainly is not cod ...... oh dear thread shift is hard to control..... but there is a plaice for it...
Oh, but apparently it's high :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: