Cleaning Locos / Rolling Stock Bodies

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Germany
hsbagardenrailway.com
All,

While I'm living in Germany, making the most of the abundance of second hand G-Scale stock available on eBay.

However, although find items at good prices they often come in need of a bit of refresh (think dust, dirt, waterspots). The rolling stock I usually disassemble and give a clean in warm, soapy water but naturally that's not an option for the locos. I'm wondering what your measures are (aside from not getting them dirty in the first place!) to clean the bodies of your locos and rolling stock.

Curtis

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Wipe with a damp rag dipped in soapy water but well wrung out....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Inch to inch and a half paintbrush, to brush off the worst of the dust..
Damp cloth (as above) perhaps also wrapped round the end of a screwdriver, to get into nooks and crannies (care!).
Once dry, a few drops of smoke - oil, and use the paintbrush to spread it around.. - Only needs a little, and it gives a faint 'sheen' to the surface.

PhilP

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
I've found cheap cleaning wipes to be very useful in the past. You want the unscented ones rather than baby wipes (although I have used the latter in an emergency :) )

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Germany
hsbagardenrailway.com
Gents, you gave me the answer I possible knew but didn't really want: hard work and patience!

Jokes aside, thank you! This is really helpful. Also, I've always know the smoke fluid was cleaning but I've never actually tried it. You've now made me curious, Phil!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Jokes aside, thank you! This is really helpful. Also, I've always know the smoke fluid was cleaning but I've never actually tried it. You've now made me curious, Phil!
Less, is more.. Too much and not only is it messy, it will attract/hold dust..

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I have used a plastic preservative (in the US Armorall is known) and a makeup brush.... cleans and preserves the finish, and no solvents to attach plastic. In addition, it contains a UV protectant to resist fading of paint.

The makeup brushes are inexpensive, but have long soft bristles to get into nooks and crannies. They are also good for dust removal.
1478113375-real-techniques-blush-brush-rs.jpg

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
For anyone who remembers cassette cleaning kits, they used to have a angled plastic handle with a small cleaning pad at the end, ideal for this sort of thing 1610663431931.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
If you want that as new look those free shoe sponges that you get in hotels bring things up nice and shiny. There must be a proper name for them and you must be able to source larger ones.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I've tried the sponges, they are usually impregnated with silicone, not normally good for paint, but cannot get in the nooks and crannies well enough for me.

The swabs for the cassette head cleaner are nice, but can be expensive, and you really cannot clean them when they get gunked up, be sure not to use the fluid with that kit!

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
LGB non-electronic items I just put in the dish washer after some cleaning with a soft tooth brush and soapy water.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
LGB non-electronic items I just put in the dish washer after some cleaning with a soft tooth brush and soapy water.
Just make sure your better half is well out of the way

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
I sue Q tips and Novus1. Novus1 is a lexan plastic cleaner. Novus 2 and 3 are polishers so I do NOT recommend them.