Cheap 0-4-0 chassis wanted for testing

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
I'm playing around with Arduino and NRF24L01 2.4ghz transeivers and am looking for a cheap 0-4-0 bare chassis with motor to sit on the test bench. Anyone seen any or has one for sale? (45mm)

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I'm playing around with Arduino and NRF24L01 2.4ghz transeivers and am looking for a cheap 0-4-0 bare chassis with motor to sit on the test bench. Anyone seen any or has one for sale? (45mm)
The problem with 'cheap' is that you get what you pay for..

As an example:
Build a white-metal kit body, for say a 009 narrow-gauge loco. Pickup a S/H n-gauge model to suit. There is probably a reason said model was for sale. I know it will not matter too much if your test motor runs 'rough'.
But, is it the motor, or is it the controller?

I would look for a new motor-block. - You can always cut a hole in a rectangle of 2mm black plasticard, for a footplate to rest your electronics on.

You might even use the 'block in a model? - As long as it is reasonably easy to remove for later test-sessions? :)

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Someone on this forum recently posted a thread about these inexpensive motor blocks from China that can be adapted to take large scale wheels. The all plastic geared version of the motor block below has 3mm keyed shaft which will take typical large scale wheels. There is also slightly different all metal, semi metal and all plastic geared versions that have a thicker shaft as in the original post mentioned which need drilling out for a 3mm axle.
1.5~6 volt (two wired in series will suit 12 volts. 94:1 ratio is slow but so too are some prototypes.
I suspect the gears will wear quickly if pulling much load but they would suit light running.

Mini Output Biaxial Reduction Box Gear Motor For Robot Toys DIY DC 1.5-6V 1: 94 | eBay

1:90 Geared Motor TT Roboter Smart Auto Chassis Anti Interferenz DIY 3V-6V | eBay

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I take it you are looking for playmobil since it is in the playmobil section. are you looking for RC or electric?

I recently found an RC one for under $20 shipped to the USA from Germany.

There are some other RC ones currently for sale:

Not working, but maybe could be repaired? PLAYMOBIL TRAIN - SPARES | eBay
working: Playmobil 4016 4011 4010 MOTOR CAR TRAIN LOCOMOTIVE RC | eBay
Not sure if working: RC Motor Engine Block 4010 Excellent condition Playmobil Train Spares #23 | eBay

Electric:

If you want really cheap, look for eztec, scientific, echo, or newbright. though some of those seem a slightly smaller scale, they use G Scale track.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
If you are trying to design a controller to work with G scale locos, you should get a representative one. The motor bemf and current and voltage characteristics are quite different from these smaller, lower voltage motors.

It all depends on what your goal is for the final item.

Greg

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I have a Playmobil battery motor block missing its aerial, but I've no idea if it works. It's yours for the postage.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
You could always put in a bid for this. You might be lucky but I suspect it will end up going for £70+

Rik

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Someone on this forum recently posted a thread about these inexpensive motor blocks from China that can be adapted to take large scale wheels. The all plastic geared version of the motor block below has 3mm keyed shaft which will take typical large scale wheels. There is also slightly different all metal, semi metal and all plastic geared versions that have a thicker shaft as in the original post mentioned which need drilling out for a 3mm axle.
1.5~6 volt (two wired in series will suit 12 volts. 94:1 ratio is slow but so too are some prototypes.
I suspect the gears will wear quickly if pulling much load but they would suit light running.

Mini Output Biaxial Reduction Box Gear Motor For Robot Toys DIY DC 1.5-6V 1: 94 | eBay

1:90 Geared Motor TT Roboter Smart Auto Chassis Anti Interferenz DIY 3V-6V | eBay
Thanks for the info, I've ordered one of the biaxial units. I'll find sommat else to do for 6 weeks! It's only to have on the bench while I'm writing the arduino code.