changing frequency.

Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
Changing frequency?
How can I change the train frequencies so I can run 2 or 3 at same time?
I know the crystals can come out, but where can I get different ones? And is it just as simple as changing them?

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
On the old Playmobil RC stuff, yes I think it is that simple.... you just need to source a new pair of crystals of a different "colour", from waaaaay back (40 years plus) when I was dabbling with RC boats and old 27MHz equipment there were six frequency colours, plus another six if the equipment supported what were called the "splits", eg: "Blue/Green" was halfway between the blue and green frequencies.

As to where you'd get alternative pairs, if Playmobil themselves don't still supply them I guess it would be down to evilBay......

Jon.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
You need a matching set for the train and controller, it's very simple to replace the quartz with a different set. Check out the information on this site: http://www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk/hints_&_tips.htm . It has a chart with the different frequencies and colors of quartz modules and has some tips and such.. I think you can still get some playmobil quartz directly from playmobil UK, but you don't have to use playmobil quartz. You just need matching sets of 27 MHz AM quartz in the size 49U. In my experience transmitter and receiver quartz are interchangeable and don't seem to be different from eachother functionally other than the printing on the shell, but I could be missing some information, they just happen to work for me however I mix them. I found a pair of matching quartz on ebay for about $5 with free shipping here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/161797279816 .. It works fine, though non-playmobil quartz doesn't come with the color coded playmobil plastic housing which is sort of unnecessary, but might help keep moisture out of the electronics (you can of course plug any 49U quartz into a playmobil quartz housing sleeve if you want a generic quartz to have the protection of the housing sleeve). The ebay listing above does not let you choose which frequency you get, they send a random pair. The picture shows a green frequency(which would have been great), but they sent me a red/brown #3 set which is a bit close to red and brown frequencies. When I ran 3 RC cars, one with red, one with brown, and one with red/brown, the red/brown controller would sometimes control all 3 cars. Best to get colors further away from each other on the frequency spectrum shown in the chart at Walts site. If you want the cheapest option, on online shopping sites just search for "27 MHz AM quartz 49U" and you will probably find something usable for cheaper than what playmobil charges, but make sure it's AM and not FM. I'm under the impression that you can use just about any 27 MHz AM controller to control playmobil trains as well, since I've used a couple of different controllers with them successfully.

-bbbb

Last edited:
Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
Thanks guys. I've found another thread on here discussing it too. (Probably should have done a search earlier...)

I also found last night, (because it never struck me to try) that the 2 crystals out of a radio control tank I have fit in the PM controller and loco. However they don't work. So I'm guessing they are FM and not AM as you guys say.

So I'm closer to the solution. Thanks!

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Be sure you haven't crossed them over, Tx crystal doesn't work in the Receiver or vise-versa.

Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
Yeah I tried that too but still didn't work. So I'm guessing they are FM crystals. It didn't say on them which they are. They work in the original tank and controller but not in the train.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Changing frequency?
How can I change the train frequencies so I can run 2 or 3 at same time?
I know the crystals can come out, but where can I get different ones? And is it just as simple as changing them?
Had a dig through my old Live Steam kit and came up with these, yours FOC if you would like to send me a small Stamped Jiffy Bag.

Left 27.045 TX
Right Top 27.145 presumed RX
Right below 27.145 TX
And a spare Holder shown RX2 at the Top

You may be able to do some mix n match with others that you have but pretty sure that the 27.145 will be a full set, all recovered from various Live Steam when I converted to 40Mhz.
97507_af95bf9581af2b80e8d9f6e650a0849f.jpeg

Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
Had a dig through my old Live Steam kit and came up with these, yours FOC if you would like to send me a small Stamped Jiffy Bag.

Left 27.045 TX
Right Top 27.145 presumed RX
Right below 27.145 TX
And a spare Holder shown RX2 at the Top

You may be able to do some mix n match with others that you have but pretty sure that the 27.145 will be a full set, all recovered from various Live Steam when I converted to 40Mhz.
View attachment 238874
Hi. That would be great cheers. Send me a PM with your address and I will pop one in the post to you.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Hi. That would be great cheers. Send me a PM with your address and I will pop one in the post to you.
No sooner said than done,mpm on the way.

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Be sure you haven't crossed them over, Tx crystal doesn't work in the Receiver or vise-versa.
Is this really the the case normally? I wonder why I'm able to switch them around and run a train with a receiver in the controller and a transmitter in the train or vise versa. I'm also able to run a train with a receiver in the controller and a receiver of the same frequency in the train. I haven't tried 2 transmitters as I don't have a matching pair of those. If there is a difference between receiver and transmitter, I wonder if it has to do with efficiency rather than functionality.
-bbbb

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Yeah I tried that too but still didn't work. So I'm guessing they are FM crystals. It didn't say on them which they are. They work in the original tank and controller but not in the train.
What does it say on there? Do you know what frequency they are? I've noticed that there are some frequencies off the chart(outside of the spectrum of frequencies on Walts frequency chart), black (number 0) for example is further down the 26 MHz direction but are still considered a sort of 27 MHz quartz by some, and I'm not sure if those work in PM trains.

-bbbb

Last edited:
G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
TBH the best advice is to ditch the 27MHz if at all possible. The reliability isn't a patch on 2.4G, the cost of which is now very cheap comparatively. Around 1978/9 I bought a s/h set of 5 ch Skyleader and it cost me then £200, a hefty sum I can assure you. Top of the range in it's day but even a £50 2.4 has it knocked into a cocked hat today, for reliability, battery life, weight, size, what-have-you.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
TBH the best advice is to ditch the 27MHz if at all possible. The reliability isn't a patch on 2.4G, the cost of which is now very cheap comparatively. Around 1978/9 I bought a s/h set of 5 ch Skyleader and it cost me then £200, a hefty sum I can assure you. Top of the range in it's day but even a £50 2.4 has it knocked into a cocked hat today, for reliability, battery life, weight, size, what-have-you.
If setting up with RC from new, then yes, I'd agree totally - I don't even like to think of how much in terms of today's money it cost me back around the same time for my old setup of 27MHz MacGregor equipment! At the time, of course, 27 Meg was the only band that was legal for model RC in the UK - and that was long before the surge in pocket-money-priced RC toys.....
Back in those days a single servo would have cost twenty quid - probably the equivalent of a hundred today - and even the most "miniature" types would have been twice the size and eight times the weight of one that you can buy today for a fiver.
However as the OP has old Playmobil RC trains, which were all on the 27MHz band, if he wants to keep them as original as possible then that means sticking with the old RC gear as supplied.

Jon.

Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
I appreciate what you say G force, but as Jon says I've got old PM kit and can't justify at this stage a major investment in changing RC gear.
To be honest, given the age of my grandkids, which is really why I'm doing this, I'm sticking with robust rufty tufty PM kit.
We call the youngest, aged 2, Godzilla for a reason!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Is this really the the case normally? I wonder why I'm able to switch them around and run a train with a receiver in the controller and a transmitter in the train or vise versa. I'm also able to run a train with a receiver in the controller and a receiver of the same frequency in the train. I haven't tried 2 transmitters as I don't have a matching pair of those. If there is a difference between receiver and transmitter, I wonder if it has to do with efficiency rather than functionality.
-bbbb
I seam to remember a long time ago in 27 Mg land that swopping the crystals around RX/TX to Transmit/Receive used to work something like on the basis of a half frequency or in between if you like. But could be a little flakey.

Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
Well I've done it. Got those 2 crystals today and they worked.
I did notice they are labelled TX and RX though. I didn't try them the other way round but will do to see what happens.
It was a bit flaky at first. When I tried another controller it worked both trains but the new crystal only worked it's mate. But after switching off and on a couple if times they settled down and I've got 2 controllers and 2 trains working independently.

Jon, I will send you that envelope tomorrow. I plain forgot about it at work!

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
I dont think the Playmobil handset can handle splits Gordon. But I am sure the usual sets are available too.