CFR Remodelling and Expansion 2020.

• Thread starter casey jones snr
  • Start date
casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
What a difference a day makes:-
B8ABAC27-C73A-4717-B4F6-3C78DE53AA23.jpeg

Base for Control Cabin laid. View looking East.

Base looking North.
67E86D8D-F017-4AB8-9CA8-0CA2F6F141C5.jpeg

Base looking North.

Reactions: Sean.
casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Good afternoon folks. The contractors have finished work for the day. They have been busy:-
E95E720A-A1EB-4AB3-94EA-820149BE41B8.jpeg

Embankment shuttering in place.
87734F26-36FA-4563-852D-58A7520501CF.jpeg

Concrete has been poured between the slabs and the embankment.
05B3A225-9159-4054-B4B4-BFDAF95367CA.jpeg

The view looking North.
C8E379BA-0E37-4B2B-B780-D2AEADFF4ED1.jpeg

The view looking Northeast.
The new Operating Cabin will be sheltered from the prevailing winds.

Reactions: Sean.
casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Thanks! I really enjoy seeing the progress pictures. Also, even a hand-drawn sketch of the trackplan would be greatly appreciated to get a "feel" for things.

Greg
Greg, I hope this helps:-
78BF19D0-353C-470F-8D0A-2C0354F65D1B.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Great, thanks so much! It helps have a framework for the pictures.

The "walls" they are putting up, seems strange they are not "reinforced" from behind, what is to stop the earth from pushing them inwards?

Greg

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Great, thanks so much! It helps have a framework for the pictures.

The "walls" they are putting up, seems strange they are not "reinforced" from behind, what is to stop the earth from pushing them inwards?

Greg
Greg, steel rods and reinforced concrete.

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Interesting, the near walls in this picture:

don't show any rods, but looking more closely, it appears there is concrete there, so maybe the reinforcing rods are underneath.

Greg
They are indeed Greg.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Paul, it is going to be tight (for maintenance, if nothing else) for a 10x8 shed, if they are two-foot slabs? :think:

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Another beautiful day. So no sign of the contractors.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I live on the coast, there is an electrical contractor called "surfs up electric", and if the surf is up (good surfing) they can only be found at the beach, not at work.

I guess you may have a similar problem.

Greg

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
What a difference a day makes:-
View attachment 262400
Base for Control Cabin laid. View looking East.

Base looking North.
View attachment 262401
Base looking North.
A question on laying the base, why are concrete pavers used instead of just pouring a reinforced concrete slab which is a common practice in Australia?
Lack of available funds perhaps or has it got something to do with ground movement over the seasons?
In Aust a the common 3Mx3M 10'x10' garden shed usually sits on a slab (generally 100mm thick with steel reinforcing mesh) to which then it is bolted especially in cyclone areas to stop it flying away, as per building regulations.
Are the reinforcing rods for the retaining wall driven into the soil to anchor them?

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
A question on laying the base, why are concrete pavers used instead of just pouring a reinforced concrete slab which is a common practice in Australia?
Lack of available funds perhaps or has it got something to do with ground movement over the seasons?
In Aust a the common 3Mx3M 10'x10' garden shed usually sits on a slab (generally 100mm thick with steel reinforcing mesh) to which then it is bolted especially in cyclone areas to stop it flying away, as per building regulations.
Are the reinforcing rods for the retaining wall driven into the soil to anchor them?
The slabs were used because the were being recycled from a redundant path. Recycling does keep the cost down, but that was never the main consideration.
The reinforcing rods for the retaining wall were driven into the ground to anchor them.

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
The slabs were used because the were being recycled from a redundant path. Recycling does keep the cost down, but that was never the main consideration.
The reinforcing rods for the retaining wall were driven into the ground to anchor them.
Love recycling the more the better.
I take it that the slabs were laid on compacted soil/ road base.
How are the reinforcing rods attached to the wall slabs?

E

Emartin

Registered
5 Jan 2018
Ontario, Canada
Good day! I will be in the UK for the first couple of weeks in May and was planning to visit your site. When is construction scheduled for completion? I was just wondering if it was worth making the trip from Ampthill to the CFR for a visit?

Ed

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Good day! I will be in the UK for the first couple of weeks in May and was planning to visit your site. When is construction scheduled for completion? I was just wondering if it was worth making the trip from Ampthill to the CFR for a visit?

Ed
Ed, the CFR will be back in operation by Easter. Hopefully the extension will be completed by May. We look forward to seeing you.

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Love recycling the more the better.
I take it that the slabs were laid on compacted soil/ road base.
How are the reinforcing rods attached to the wall slabs?
I have no idea how the reinforcing rods are attached. Only the contractors are allowed in the construction area for health and safety reasons.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I have no idea how the reinforcing rods are attached. Only the contractors are allowed in the construction area for health and safety reasons.
They probably aren't connected to the slabs, the rods probably support the concrete against the embankment and the slabs are for decoration