CFR Remodelling and Expansion 2020.

• Thread starter casey jones snr
  • Start date
casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
The CFR has been on site at Rothley Station GCR for the past 21 years. Late 2018 saw a major upheaval when we lost a quarter of the area due to expansion of the Ellis Tea Room. Slight remodelling took place afterwards but it wasn’t very satisfactory. In 2019 discussions were had with the GCR senior management with a view to remodelling and expansion of the CFR.
The first phase of the work involves:-
Removing track and structures from the south east corner, an area 14’ x 12’.
Digging out the area and embankment.
Building a retaining wall for the embankment and laying a concrete base for a control cabin which is 10’ x 8’.
Building a patio area 12‘ x 8’
at the rear of the Ellis Tea Room but adjacent to the CFR.
Erection and fitting out the Control Cabin.
The contractors arrived on site on Friday 28.2.20 and work commenced:-
CA4530BD-637D-4554-BCBA-80292C728719.jpeg C11881C7-F5F7-40D0-87E9-108A84A11083.jpeg F497E255-384E-4675-8113-5A869EB4C43C.jpeg 8752F330-FE8A-43F2-9B6C-805474D14874.jpeg
No work over the weekend or Monday.
BBA4705F-65DB-481A-83D1-061343221317.jpeg AD0681DF-52E5-4FCE-B7BA-ACFA8595C219.jpeg
Work recommenced Tuesday 3.3.20. Digger off site by lunch time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Casey, I've always enjoyed your almost daily pictures of the CFR. Perhaps when the remodel is completed you could post a sketch of the overall track plan or possibly borrow a drone for some overhead pictures? Google Earth pictures just aren't too clear.

May the work go well and swiftly!

Ken

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Good idea, maybe the CFR could sell coloured mud :)
That might just work for Pottery Nuts. Glad to see progress Paul, I know you have been stressing a little iver what is gojng to occur and when. Looks like you will have a lot to do when they are finished.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Yes indeed Jon, it will be like starting all over again. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into the project and hopefully I will have the volunteers to help.
Sure I will be able to give you some time Paul, midweek would appear best option.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Interesting, the near walls in this picture:

don't show any rods, but looking more closely, it appears there is concrete there, so maybe the reinforcing rods are underneath.

Greg

Last edited:
GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
What a difference a day makes:-
View attachment 262400
Base for Control Cabin laid. View looking East.

Base looking North.
View attachment 262401
Base looking North.
A question on laying the base, why are concrete pavers used instead of just pouring a reinforced concrete slab which is a common practice in Australia?
Lack of available funds perhaps or has it got something to do with ground movement over the seasons?
In Aust a the common 3Mx3M 10'x10' garden shed usually sits on a slab (generally 100mm thick with steel reinforcing mesh) to which then it is bolted especially in cyclone areas to stop it flying away, as per building regulations.
Are the reinforcing rods for the retaining wall driven into the soil to anchor them?

GAP

GAP

The slabs were used because the were being recycled from a redundant path. Recycling does keep the cost down, but that was never the main consideration.
The reinforcing rods for the retaining wall were driven into the ground to anchor them.
Love recycling the more the better.
I take it that the slabs were laid on compacted soil/ road base.
How are the reinforcing rods attached to the wall slabs?

GAP

GAP

They probably aren't connected to the slabs, the rods probably support the concrete against the embankment and the slabs are for decoration
OK so the slabs are just a veneer over a concrete retaining wall, that makes it clearer.

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
The work continues at the CFR. I managed to do a security check at Rothley Station and the CFR this afternoon and whilst there I took a few pictures of the work in progress:-
E593346A-89F3-4B6A-BDE2-264B46496913.jpeg
The entire picnic area has been removed.
2B3199F9-4B80-4EB8-A09B-44CFD7D438B3.jpeg
The new access ramp has been block paved.
2F33E2C9-2ADF-432F-8C7A-BB44866330DA.jpeg
New steps at the rear of the access ramp.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
It's progress ....... :nod: :nod:

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
C602FF60-E1E7-480E-9C85-226433E5E26D.jpeg
D556DC6D-D94C-4A52-B087-033FB13D05E8.jpeg 70800599-FEDE-4271-997A-09003BD5D5C1.jpeg
Work has finished for the day.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Small steps - but it's always difficult when you do not have direct control of the contractor and have to work through a third party.

Just as my contractor rang me today about a small variation that he had been asked to price by the Architect - yes, I advised the architect to issue the instruction to proceed just over a week ago, but he has not yet received the instruction :swear::swear:

I have made representation to the Diocesan authorities about my views of the Architect, and whether they should continue to have a place on the approved list of consultants. I mean, I actually stuck the knife pretty heavily between the shoulder blades, and it would appear that someone has taken notice :nerd:

Last edited:
JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Small steps - but it's always difficult when you do not have direct control of the contractor and have to work through a third party.

Just as my contractor rang me today about a small variation that he had been asked to price by the Architect - yes, I advised the architect to issue the instruction to proceed just over a week ago, but he has not yet received the instruction :swear::swear:

I have made representation to the Diocesan authorities about my views of the Architect, and whether they should continue to have a place on the approved list of consultants. I mean, I actually stuck the knife pretty heavily between the shoulder blades, and it would appear that someone has taken notice :nerd:
Up there

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Glad things are happening, you'll be kept busy there for a while. Slight drift, that's very interesting strata they've exposed in the middle picture, I assume it's the local bedrock and clay?

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
Casey, I've always enjoyed your almost daily pictures of the CFR. Perhaps when the remodel is completed you could post a sketch of the overall track plan or possibly borrow a drone for some overhead pictures?

May the work go well and swiftly!

Ken
Ken, I will do and post an overall track plan when the work is finished. Drones are banned from flying over this area, however I can take some good overhead pictures from the top of the embankments.

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
Glad things are happening, you'll be kept busy there for a while. Slight drift, that's very interesting strata they've exposed in the middle picture, I assume it's the local bedrock and clay?
Paul, I believe it’s Keuper Marl, Mercia Mudstone Group. Not a term I’m overly familiar with.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Paul I believe it’s Keuper Marl. Not a term I’m familiar with.
Not a name I recognise, but I Googled it and TRRL have done some research in relation to motorway construction, M5 and M50 came up first - I suspect it's a bit of a generic term.

If you were on the Isle of Wight you could bag it and sell it :D:D:D

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Not a name I recognise, but I Googled it and TRRL have done some research in relation to motorway construction, M5 and M50 came up first - I suspect it's a bit of a generic term.

If you were on the Isle of Wight you could bag it and sell it :D:D:D
Good idea, maybe the CFR could sell coloured mud :)

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Paul, I believe it’s Keuper Marl, Mercia Mudstone Group. Not a term I’m overly familiar with.
Looks great, it's a shame it'll be covered up again

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
That might just work for Pottery Nuts. Glad to see progress Paul, I know you have been stressing a little iver what is gojng to occur and when. Looks like you will have a lot to do when they are finished.
Yes indeed Jon, it will be like starting all over again. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into the project and hopefully I will have the volunteers to help.