Camcorders

E

Elmtree Line

I'm on the market for a new camcorder, my current one is a 4yr old JVC Everio Hard Drive affair, standard quality and was mid range at the time.

I've been looking about and it seems High Def is moving to be the norm now, prices varying wildly and some units like TV's trick you into thinking they are HD when infact they upscale or mess around with the files to seem HD.

I know that the big players in this field like Panasonic, Canon and Sony but i do like JVC

I'm considering this model...

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=GZ-HD300BEK&catid=100094 < Link To http://www.jvc.co.uk/prod...00BEK&catid=100094

Can anyone offer any constructive comments, and offer up any similar model from maybe another manufacturer that should be considered.

Thanks

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know much about camcorders, all of the films I ever made used the movie feature on my stills camera, I am however thinking of getting one this year.

I would have thought that a solid state camera would be preferable for mounting on a train, the camera will be lighter and there is a lot less to damage rather than having all of the moving parts of a hard drive in a camera.

Also I don't see much point in HD (High Definition) since most stuff is viewed on the internet and that can't be high definition unless you want to wait an age for it to load, many people wont be able to view it due to slow internet connections etc.

Just my thoughts.

E

Elmtree Line

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I would go for HD solid state.
Presumably you will want to view videos on other than the PC in which case the higher the resolution the better.
However, Internet connections are getting ever faster even though the UK lags behind much of the world in this.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Hi Keith.

Might be a dumb question, can't see in the spec's, but does it have an viewfinder (digital or optical) as well as the screen. The Panasonic one we got a couple of years ago only has the screen, and I wish now I'd gone up a model or two to have both. Apart from that my vidoe knowledge is very limited - I expect your more familiar with them than I.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
JRinTawa said:
Hi Keith.

Might be a dumb question, can't see in the spec's, but does it have an viewfinder (digital or optical) as well as the screen. The Panasonic one we got a couple of years ago only has the screen, and I wish now I'd gone up a model or two to have both. Apart from that my vidoe knowledge is very limited - I expect your more familiar with them than I.

Hii John
I think you aimed your query at the "other" Keith but having looked at the spec' I am sure that it does not have an optical finder. It would have included a reference to it if that had been the case.
Like you I like to have the option of the optical finder, not the least to save the battery.