Calling any GSC members in Scandinavia

R

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
This may look like a funny question but bear with me, the relevance will become clear

If you buy g scale stuff, used, and from a private seller, and then take it across the border to Sweden, could the Swedish customs levy some duty if you are unlucky enough to be stopped? I don't THINK so, but I would like to be sure, because...

My very good buddy is Swedish but lives in Oslo. He's not a modeller and thinks my hobby is slightly odd, but after visiting recently, out of curiosity he went on the local web in Norway and found a guy selling his entire collection. It looked interesting when he showed me, but I pointed out that transport to Prague could be hefty. " No problem" he said, " I will bring it in the car, and you will buy the beer to load the car up for the journey back!" He is a good friend. So we did the deal, and yesterday he picked it up, and its in his Oslo house. But then he suddenly thought of the duty.

Norway is not in the EU, but is in the EEA. my buddy knows the border well, as they own a house in Sweden just down the coast. Normally you just drive through, but there are checks. We don't think there is a problem on stuff like this, but we are seeking advice. So, if anyone, anywhere in the EU, has bought from Norway, and knows the answer, I would be very interested in your experience.

Finally I definitely have acquired some stuff I won't need so when it arrives, I will have some to offer on here, but of course it will need to make the journey back to the U.K., which might be another problem after March 2019 :-( So if any Scandi readers are interested in what might be for sale, please PM me.

Sorry for the long mail on an obscure topic, although it is perhaps a topic of our times....

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I think after March 2019 the authorities will have more to worry about than a few toy trains crossing the border! :)

R

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Update on this. Turns out that there is a fairly big problem. Both Swedish and German customs eventually answered with the same story. While duty would be zero, the problem is VAT, at the rate of the EU country where the goods come in. Sweden is 25%!. It does not apparently matter that these things are second-hand, and that VAT has already been paid in Norway. It has to be paid in the EU anyway. The only get out is there is an allowance of €300 on the value of the goods to be taxed (bizarrely €430 if he arrives by ship, which he might do, Oslo-Kiel). And no, this is not per item, but on the total amount brought in at any one time.

So we have been furiously working out the options and the risks. The absurd thing is that he can bring them from his Oslo to his Swedish coastal house in dribs and drabs, and then bring them in one go from Sweden in the Spring, which would be OK with me, and they would not get any VAT. But now he is expecting to drive down next week, and I am working out which items would be best to bring in first. I might get some things which I might want to sell on, to catch the Christmas market. If so, I will offer them on here first.

And the moral of this story? Short term, if you buy anything from Norway, the UK will treat it the same as if it comes from the USA. Longer term..Brexit..if the Norway option is the soft option, heaven help you all who buy from eBay abroad or German shops...