C.B.R. take Two

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Someone’s having fun in cad, looks like a fun track plan, the only possible issue I see, is for the 4 track terminus stations/sidings , you might want an extra crossover, so that trains can arrive and depart from all tracks,
DUNNY - WELL SPOTTED
At the moment a train arriving on the furthest left hand track, will be need of shunting, over the the other tracks to depart. That is assuming your doing left hand running.

Also have you considered a dead end siding to park up locos and wagons that aren’t being used

Dan
I think that the two crossovers approaching the station being the same hand may be a drawing error. Also not sure what the single lead link to the track just to the right of the oil tank is for unless giving an out and back possibility from the terminus via the station and most of the loop. The possibility of getting to the loop as a continuous run is possible by going direct to the station over the crossover. All in all quite interesting start to the planning process.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Thanks for comments.
Been out measuring as it finally stopped raining , The station on the patio might get turned 90 deg tomorrow ( in CAD) so the two lines face the tank wall / tunnel, that way I get more room on the house wall side where the teminus station is now, for longer sidings etc. as all that fits in a siding at the moment would be a couple of wagons or an engine as they are short. Me make drawing errors :rofl: yep they should have been the oppersite hand, but that leg is where I want to try the station now as it will fit there. The single vertical leg to the right hand side of the tank up towards the tree, the idea was it would give the longest out and back single line run by going that way, also it allows you to feed the loop for continious running in the oppersite direction to the bottom horizontal link to the loop. Not sure how clear it shows up, but the upper horigontal, where that leg starts with a curve after exiting the tank area, would not be there once the loop around the tree was built

I remember drawing about 25 odd variations for the original C.B.R. and still built it diffrent when it actually came to do it :D

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
I remember drawing about 25 odd variations for the original C.B.R. and still built it diffrent when it actually came to do it :D
I have a colleague who say plans are great, but nearly always fail at first contact.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Think it will be something Like this , time to start earth works this weekend for the main loop to sit on I think :)

T2 (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
I have a colleague who say plans are great, but nearly always fail at first contact.
I think that was attributed to General Patton, but he'd nicked it from somebody else :)

But it explains why Ukraine's forces have gained an unexpected advantage in some areas ;);)

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Country flag
Were it me, I'd avoid the oil tank enclosure entirely, since Murphy and I are well acquainted :oops:.
In a similar vein, I'm trying to devise a re-alignment for my branch line that will get it farther away from the Hydro transformer -- and give me an excuse to cut wood ;).
Good fortune with your planning and building.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Been awhile, still garden building so I can put a railway in it :) Patio extended, last bit done today, Boxers don't like walking on wire mesh so it stops them jumping up and down on the new slabs to see how firm they are until they have set :rofl: Grass to remove from the square in the middle and add some artificial grass o_O.

CBR3.jpg

Rockery Built behind the Oil tank screen , plants growing away nicely, not as per plan, I decided rather than run trains on top of a Rockry I would run them along the front of it, cut the grass back and build a track bed along the Lawn edge less Soil needed to build the raised area but..

CBR1.jpg

As summer has gone on my grass is cracking all over, some of these cracks are 2" wide and 6 to 9" deep not sure what the track bed would end up like if clay cracks like this, so back in thinking mode at the moment. Theres some great cracks around the tree I was going to go round with my track. I could lose a train down some of these :cry:

CBR2.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Been awhile, still garden building so I can put a railway in it :) Patio extended, last bit done today, Boxers don't like walking on wire mesh so it stops them jumping up and down on the new slabs to see how firm they are until they have set :rofl: Grass to remove from the square in the middle and add some artificial grass o_O.

View attachment 300844

Rockery Built behind the Oil tank screen , plants growing away nicely, not as per plan, I decided rather than run trains on top of a Rockry I would run them along the front of it, cut the grass back and build a track bed along the Lawn edge less Soil needed to build the raised area but..

View attachment 300845

As summer has gone on my grass is cracking all over, some of these cracks are 2" wide and 6 to 9" deep not sure what the track bed would end up like if clay cracks like this, so back in thinking mode at the moment. Theres some great cracks around the tree I was going to go round with my track. I could lose a train down some of these :cry:

View attachment 300847
Hm I think good deep foundations with concrete gravel boards firmly cemented in place may be in order near those issues

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Back to building, a Garden and a railway, Lawn looks like Swiss Cheese, spent hours filling in the cracks as and when they appear, in case the dogs break a leg in them.

Gazebo Extension with raised beds for trains ?

train1.jpg

But as Usual Wally thinks I am building day beds for him :D

train2.jpg

I have actually got some tracks outside now, so I sort have got a railway, all be it a very short one :rofl::rofl:

train3.jpg

No chance of adding any plants till the rains come again, this soil is impossible to dig to add anything to it, too improve it , it's like concrete.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
A very neat job :clap:
Will the Wallace meekly accept being evicted from his day bed?
Waiting to find out . he's looked at the tracks but not got on it yet :rofl: :rofl:

train4.jpg

The wire mesh is not the bridge... it's coving the two paving slabs below that were laid today , stops the Boxers testing if they are lose or not, by jumping up and down on them :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Somewhere in the undergrowth..

Lurks a pond..

If the pond turns out to have gone porous (it is probably 50 years old!) :eek: I can always cut the sides off, and use them as a backdrop to the railway, I reckon? :wondering:

PhilP
<Burger! Wrong thread, again. :rolleyes:

Thats not my Garden....

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Been a bit of a lazy day , neck hurts so not done a lot made a temp bridge to join the two halfs of my very short railway up :D but it will probally still be there in a few years :rofl: needs plants.

train5.jpg
After the track cleaner did a run or two, the first official Engine made its first journey on the new and very much shorter C.B.R. just over a year since it last ran.

train6.jpg

Now its back to civil engineering once I have a plan where to go to next and how to get there :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Country flag
Yesterday I wasted most of it playing with drawing what to do next with Autocad, and came up with nothing , today I decided I would just move the station and put it where it was originally going to go, Design flaw was the trellis stops the station building going the side I wanted it, but the Trellis stops the Boxers playing hurdles :) When plants have grow at the back I can always turn it around as I could remove the trellis then. Also playing with the idea of adding a planting box now at the front, rather than planting the gravel strip I left, that way I could plant apines and have them at track level :) ?

As they say all change :), looks better than a siding from the kitchen window.

train8.jpg

train9.jpg

Raised bed mocked up with trays I had, to see what it looks like. Signal box needs a re-design of its stairs as well now to get them to fit :)

train7.jpg