Building a new raised railway

artfull dodger

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana
Gone are my tight R1 curves and in are the R7 or 10 foot diameter curves to handle the smaller and medium size gauge 1 live steamers I now own. I have the track about half done, still need to buy a half circle of the Piko R7 curves I am using. Both straight sections, 25 foot long on each side will have a passing siding. One side will be a USA western theme to suit my Aster Reno, the other side will have a UK GWR theme with a station and switch tower eventually. I will top the table surface with a roofing material here soon for better protection from water. All surfaces of the wood structure have several coats of outdoor latex paint applied. Cheers Mike

artfull dodger

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana

artfull dodger

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Looking good Mike, by switch tower do you mean a signal box?

artfull dodger

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana
That was the word I was looking for Paul. I was typing fast as I had to leave for work.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Looking good Mike, by switch tower do you mean a signal box?
That's part of the turnout from the crossing loop (partly hidden by the train).

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Gone are my tight R1 curves and in are the R7 or 10 foot diameter curves to handle the smaller and medium size gauge 1 live steamers I now own. I have the track about half done, still need to buy a half circle of the Piko R7 curves I am using. Both straight sections, 25 foot long on each side will have a passing siding. One side will be a USA western theme to suit my Aster Reno, the other side will have a UK GWR theme with a station and switch tower eventually. I will top the table surface with a roofing material here soon for better protection from water. All surfaces of the wood structure have several coats of outdoor latex paint applied. Cheers Mike

The underneath of that Woodwork can be softened in look by Planting. Look at what Pecorama in UK do with Lonicera, box can be good as well. I have both and other plants doing their stuff under my raised Boards. A few examples examples for you.
Box and Lonicera starting to do their thing below the Boards. Should be up to the first level in a year or so.
128360_8e15886a197108160b700d589474d1eb.jpeg

Sundry Plants peeping out of the gap between the Board and Decking. These are Shrubs behind the Board that can also be seen above.
128361_ea6a27b1dddc615fc5e89e8cb6ff342f.jpeg

A few more pics below but not blown them up as I do not wish to hijack your thread. Oh love your Hound!

Attachments