BRENDA BAHN

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Country flag
Hi there long time since posting on here so thought I would do a quick update I had to make some big changes to the layout when at the begging of 2021 when old age was catching up with me having a lot of pain in both hips looks like replacements will be needed in the future so over the last 4 months the layout has had to be made morel accesable this ment removing what was the quarry area and repairing the shed which had started rotting. Raising the bottom end of the layout 18 inches so it was all the same level as the top end of the layout The garden shed where the layout used to run through was taken down as this was rotting away this is being replaced by a summer house in the next4 to 6 weeks Also the layout at the bottom end had all the middle removed making tis area all with easy reach

Before

IMG_0016.JPG
Now
IMG_0007 (1).JPG

Before IMG_0033 (1).JPG

Now IMG_0004 (1).JPG

Before IMG_0010.JPG

Now IMG_0002 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    634.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    666.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Country flag
Fantastic pics and good to see you back on the forum, I always admired your railway and it's great to see it's still running

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Country flag
Fantastic pics and good to see you back on the forum, I always admired your railway and it's great to see it's still running
Thankyou for the comment scaled things back a bit with this set up one train and one shuttle unit not 4 trains running at a time as in the past also more piko buildings no more home made effects also better figures so no more playmobil handy at the time trying to keep things simple I think there is a fine line with a set up as to weather it is a hobby or if there is a lot of maintance it might become more of a chore. Will also scale back on open days when restrictions lift will still have two a year but we used to invite workmates friends etc did raffles plant and book sales also set up vintage Triang layouts we sometimes had as many as 50 to 60 people coming round all raising funds for local hospic,e future events will be more in keeping with other G Scale open days in this area when 8 to 12 people is a growd Also stop taking my vintage triang layout to shows etc (This was decided before covid) 58 shows in 5 years was getting on a bit Keep safe

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Love what you have done with the Mountain backdrops. Really brings the layout to life. The overhead also looks interesting, can you explain please as there are a few on here that seam reluctant to delve into the complexities of cosmetic overhead.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Country flag
You've been busy Chris!

Good to see you back here on the forum....

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Country flag
Love what you have done with the Mountain backdrops. Really brings the layout to life. The overhead also looks interesting, can you explain please as there are a few on here that seam reluctant to delve into the complexities of cosmetic overhead.
Hi there dannyrail

The mountain backdrops are 4 foot by 2 foot cement boards from B&Q fixed to the garden fence just painted on most smaller gauge layouts there is nearly alw ays a backscene of some sort that s where the idea came from it just gives a better backdrop to the railway, once done I think this more then anything else made the layout more relistic As for the overhead the uprights are green plastic coated metal garden canes from B&M they were green but were sprayed grey they were 3 foot long and cut in half 79 pence each the crossarms are made from Peco 00 rail yard lengths a piece about 8 inches long is cut bent into a v shape 2 holes are drilled through a post the rail pushed through and bent over the ends the v shape rail can be longer if needed for cuves or the start of points etc then a smaller piece of rail 4 inches or there abouts has one end bent over on its self this is attach to the bottom part of the v the best way i find to attach these is to use small plastic ties The wire is fishing wire 500 metre roll for £5.50 I use 3 lengths of wire and do about 6 posts at a time one length goes through drilled holes at the top of the posts One length of wire goes through the v shaped rail I go through the v then loop it round once then go on to the next one The last wire goes through the small pieces of rail that was attach to the v shaped rail these are done like the others and loop round each time after 6 posts the wire is tired in a knot tops of the posts are screw caps with the covers removed posts are held in place with post create cement pantographs on locos are about 1/4 to1/2 below wire if one does snag it is a simple matter to bend up one of the v shaped rails The whole lot took about 10 hours to do over a month period there are 58 posts altogether Used some odd bits of peco rail had to buy 7 lengths but sold the sleeper strip on e bay for £14.00 so does not cost a lot

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Hi there dannyrail

The mountain backdrops are 4 foot by 2 foot cement boards from B&Q fixed to the garden fence just painted on most smaller gauge layouts there is nearly alw ays a backscene of some sort that s where the idea came from it just gives a better backdrop to the railway, once done I think this more then anything else made the layout more relistic As for the overhead the uprights are green plastic coated metal garden canes from B&M they were green but were sprayed grey they were 3 foot long and cut in half 79 pence each the crossarms are made from Peco 00 rail yard lengths a piece about 8 inches long is cut bent into a v shape 2 holes are drilled through a post the rail pushed through and bent over the ends the v shape rail can be longer if needed for cuves or the start of points etc then a smaller piece of rail 4 inches or there abouts has one end bent over on its self this is attach to the bottom part of the v the best way i find to attach these is to use small plastic ties The wire is fishing wire 500 metre roll for £5.50 I use 3 lengths of wire and do about 6 posts at a time one length goes through drilled holes at the top of the posts One length of wire goes through the v shaped rail I go through the v then loop it round once then go on to the next one The last wire goes through the small pieces of rail that was attach to the v shaped rail these are done like the others and loop round each time after 6 posts the wire is tired in a knot tops of the posts are screw caps with the covers removed posts are held in place with post create cement pantographs on locos are about 1/4 to1/2 below wire if one does snag it is a simple matter to bend up one of the v shaped rails The whole lot took about 10 hours to do over a month period there are 58 posts altogether Used some odd bits of peco rail had to buy 7 lengths but sold the sleeper strip on e bay for £14.00 so does not cost a lot
Thanks for the detail, certainly the cement board is a useful tool for the Garden Railway man. Only think I wonder is what sort of paints have you used, my choice would be to spray using car based Acrylics but these may be somewhat shiny for scenic purposes except the base undercoat ones.

The overhead is a neat solution and certainly where you have overhead juice locomotives “Pans Up” even not quite all the way gives a much better look. I have been helping a friend with his line in Somerset over the last 2 weeks and he is mostly Swiss based, he started the line with the thought of restricted Pans Up but no overhead, your solution would have worked except that he has mounted all his track on 25mm Celtex and he never allowed for this and the track depth in his Tunnel Calculations - foul up so all pans will need to be down. A real disappointment so far as I am concerned, but he is unfased. Rule 1 I guess.

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Country flag
Thanks for the detail, certainly the cement board is a useful tool for the Garden Railway man. Only think I wonder is what sort of paints have you used, my choice would be to spray using car based Acrylics but these may be somewhat shiny for scenic purposes except the base undercoat ones.

The overhead is a neat solution and certainly where you have overhead juice locomotives “Pans Up” even not quite all the way gives a much better look. I have been helping a friend with his line in Somerset over the last 2 weeks and he is mostly Swiss based, he started the line with the thought of restricted Pans Up but no overhead, your solution would have worked except that he has mounted all his track on 25mm Celtex and he never allowed for this and the track depth in his Tunnel Calculations - foul up so all pans will need to be down. A real disappointment so far as I am concerned, but he is unfased. Rule 1 I guess.
Paint used on the cement boards is masonry paint brought white paint from Aldi 10 litre size then a B&Q 2.5 Litre black mixed up a grey colour then just brushed on black or white to add contrast When I started the previous layout I never had swiss locos all German types I blame the wife when she brought me a crocodaile from then on Piko 218 Stainz locos dissapered to be replaced by swiss style trains so had the same trouble your friend has tunnels to small not enough clearance when running through sheds etc some parts were changed to allow for the pans but it was never right

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Country flag
Hi there long time since posting on here so thought I would do a quick update I had to make some big changes to the layout when at the begging of 2021 when old age was catching up with me having a lot of pain in both hips looks like replacements will be needed in the future so over the last 4 months the layout has had to be made morel accesable this ment removing what was the quarry area and repairing the shed which had started rotting. Raising the bottom end of the layout 18 inches so it was all the same level as the top end of the layout The garden shed where the layout used to run through was taken down as this was rotting away this is being replaced by a summer house in the next4 to 6 weeks Also the layout at the bottom end had all the middle removed making tis area all with easy reach

Before

View attachment 286568
Now
View attachment 286565

Before View attachment 286566

Now View attachment 286567

Before View attachment 286575

Now View attachment 286576
Hi, just seen your pics. I'd never dream of doing a German layout but it's so good to see a great one like yours. The backdrop painted on the shed is a masterstroke, it just makes the buildings, track and cable cars look even better. Nice use of different levels too.

rentren

Registered
Country flag
That's encouraging to see! Slowly I shake the grip H0 'super-true' had on me and G scale comes into it's own (on one and the same track Zillertalbahn meets RhB :-]) - Catenary is interesting! What did you use for poles, for 'wire'?

Oh, and no, I'm not in Switzerland (but originate from there), I'm in the Kootenays/BC

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Country flag
Fond memory in the shed, and great to see you back up and running

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Country flag
Just read through your post. It's really inspiring and I've been studying the photos for ideas.
Thanks for posting it.
Trevor

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Country flag
That's encouraging to see! Slowly I shake the grip H0 'super-true' had on me and G scale comes into it's own (on one and the same track Zillertalbahn meets RhB :-]) - Catenary is interesting! What did you use for poles, for 'wire'?

Oh, and no, I'm not in Switzerland (but originate from there), I'm in the Kootenays/BC
See post #6 for a description of the poles and wire. They do look good and about 1% of the cost of LGB stuff!

rentren

Registered
Country flag
See post #6 for a description of the poles and wire. They do look good and about 1% of the cost of LGB stuff!
...oic, fishing line! Pro'ly also sold to non-fisherman :~) TNX!