Brass brake wheel shafts.

Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
What year did LGB switch from brass brake wheel shafts on there boxcars to the kind that are built in to the end of the car with a small brake wheel at the top?
Also were these less detailed ones made in Germany. Thanks

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Interesting, I would have thought it to be the other way around. Also would you know why the brass shafts are so long. The brake wheel ends up being about 1 1/4 inch above the roof.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
I don't know a lot on the subject but there were various eras and builders of USA style wooden boxcars.
In the very early days of railroading the brakeman would often walk along the roofs en rout and had to operate the brake wheel from crouching so they would ideally be at least a couple of feet above the foot boards.
Westinghouse automatic brakes came later and the brake wheel would be used by climbing up the end of the boxcar when parked in a siding so can be lower.

Last edited:
Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Well that explains a lot, as I was not thinking of the actual use of the brake wheel in the real world. So the way you described it put a picture in my mind of a person turning that wheel, thus the height. I guess on my layout I am trying for a period of time around 1900-1930's. I will have to look at the steel box cars that LGB sells and see what that brake wheel looks like. I don't have any steel box cars on my layout. Thanks for the information.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
The wooden boxcars with the brake wheel sticking up is probably correct for your era.
Many narrow gauge wooden boxcars have the brake wheel sticking up and also have gladhand connectors for automatic brakes.
It probably wasn't until WW2 and after that things became 'modernized' and brake wheels on a stalk mostly disappeared.

Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Thanks for the great information you have provided to me.

Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Any one no where I can buy the brake wheel that goes on the brass rod. I have the rod but no wheel. Also are the brake wheels glued on or can they be taken off. Thanks