Boxing clever... Packing & posting

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Hello All,
As some of you probably know. I'm in the process of packing for a house move and also selling off some excess rolling stock and locos.
Now a lot of my LGB locos are 0-4-0's of various types and most of them arrived as abused, unloved and unboxed examples. (With the most notable being the one that arrived in a carrier bag full of mud and nettles!) So no nice shiny red boxes. :(
Anyhoo,
Taking advantage of a lull in the storm of bubble wrap and sticky tape, I thought I'd share a bit of info for those needing to pack up similar sized locos.

It turns out that Aldi has leapt to the rescue in the form of their 6Kg corrugated cardboard, dog food boxes. They are the perfect size to take a stainz, Shoma, Otto,etc. With just enough room for a decent cocoon of bubble wrap or other packing fill of your choice. As an added bonus, they have handle holes with a flap too. Strong enough to take the weight of a loco, rigid enough to survive the postal service, but not the size of a small continent.
Making them great for sending your smaller locos off to lucky e-bay buyers, or for storing / moving them safely.
Luckily my neighbour had given me several dozen of them before we hit the latest lock down.:) 1604679323645.png

Paul.

1604678874271.png Saving the planet one cardboard box at a time! ;)

2020-11-06 001 001.JPG 2020-11-06 001 002.JPG 2020-11-06 001 004.JPG

Last edited:
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Brilliant, just think, not only does it hold the locos perfectly, but what a disguise! No more struggling to hide the post in the morning, no bright red give-away boxes, fantastic. Mind you we wont talk about the very disappointed dogs:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
My emotional support animal will not be happy to have empty boxes come home.
---Hutch

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Something that will also be a big help with a big move and lots of stock is a list on the outside of the box what is inside. Removing Couplings and securing to the base with masking tape also helps prevent damage to those items as well. When I moves back in 2012 all of my small LGB Toytrain wagons had the treatment of removing couplings and the poles that stick up. A list of the 10-15 wagons was sellotaped to the box. They are still in that box 8 years later but I know what is within due to my label.

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Something that will also be a big help with a big move and lots of stock is a list on the outside of the box what is inside. Removing Couplings and securing to the base with masking tape also helps prevent damage to those items as well. When I moves back in 2012 all of my small LGB Toytrain wagons had the treatment of removing couplings and the poles that stick up. A list of the 10-15 wagons was sellotaped to the box. They are still in that box 8 years later but I know what is within due to my label.
I concur...
All my boxes are marked with the room / area they're destined for, plus a number that identifies the actual contents on the 'master list'
It was a bit of a chore, but considering the amount of stuff my other half and I seem to have accrued, it's a necessary evil.
She has things for a wide range of crafts, from glass painting to dressmaking and most points in between. Plus a huge range of collectables.
When you add this to my modelling stuff , tools, gardening, sculpting and engineering equipment, it's quite a pile.
We tend to pack all of the little boxes / bags etc into larger ones for ease of transport and stacking. We tried standardising the big transport boxes
which helps too. We had to cut down around a third of the total contents to fit it into the new place. Normally this would have been car booted, but under the circumstances, it went out on the front lawn for people to take gratis or auctioned off on line if it was worth something. Plus the local greyhound rescue charity received enough stock to fill their market stall three times over...
This weekend I'll be sorting out all the Christmas stuff in the loft and garage, so There's going to be another big pile out front soon...
Paul.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Other thing I forgot to mention was that with the generel house stuff as well I put a colour code on things thus each room had a colour sticker to which the box went, made it much easier for the movers. They got nothing wrong. Though it is important to remember to dash round to put a sticker on each room when you enter as the remival men do work quick as they obviously need to get done in a drivers time.

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
luckily we have a general store. so boxes of any size in large quantities.
my favorites are shoeboxes. the kind with a fixed lid. specially for junk materials, that can stay boxed after the move.
big labels (white duct tape & marker) are a must.

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Other thing I forgot to mention was that with the generel house stuff as well I put a colour code on things thus each room had a colour sticker to which the box went, made it much easier for the movers. They got nothing wrong. Though it is important to remember to dash round to put a sticker on each room when you enter as the remival men do work quick as they obviously need to get done in a drivers time.
Looks like I'm going to be doing all the moving on my own. (Assuming I can rent a suitably large truck.)
That's going to be fun... Not...