Book “Berlin” by Taschen

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
For those of us, especially across the pond, that love LGB german narrow gauge, it is difficult to really get a feel of urban German culture, especially of days long gone, and day to day life.

The Taschen book Berlin, is a large, format coffee table book, some 400+ pages, in french, english, and german. It offers pictorial sections on Berlin life pre 1900 to modern day, some black and white, some color.

Many street and architectural photos, scenes of working persons, dress, tools, but, very few train photos. Yet, it gives great insight into Berlin /German urban life. Helpful in creating more realistic model settings.

On Amazon, this book was $29.00 like new, and well worth perusal.

Last edited:

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Well - to get to know a city - you will always need an insider since it's usually not mentioned in the Taschenbuch.
Example:
Would you expect that this Salsa dancing club is located under the Berlin Citybahn (near S-Bahn station Jannowitzbrücke, where the window is open)?

1608662385402.png 1608662450862.png

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well - to get to know a city - you will always need an insider since it's usually not mentioned in the Taschenbuch.
Example:
Would you expect that this Salsa dancing club is located under the Berlin Citybahn (near S-Bahn station Jannowitzbrücke, where the window is open)?

View attachment 277760 View attachment 277761
Now if only it was a Modern Jive Venue.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Would love to look through something like this. Is this the book you're referring to?

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Would love to look through something like this. Is this the book you're referring to?
Yes. The photos are , imho, excellent.
Taschen offers similar books on paris, London and Rome. Thus far i have also purchased London and Paris, but have yet to spend time with those two books.

i have been to Berlin, and elsewhere in Germany, and happen to love Germany, as a long time fencer and dressage and cross country rider.

I know its trite, but, in looking through these photos, I see things , historical details, that preiser and pola, as well as other makers include, that become more relevant and real, eg, tools, ads, dress, etc.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
sabre and foil......
kindly no comments about guys with foil hats and basement train sets....no, i dont live with me mum.....lol
merry crimbo1