BNSF switching plank

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

This Way Up
I sold off all my 1/29 a few years ago but picked up the SD40-2 for a good price and then got the GP38 because they look so smart in Swoosh livery ;)
4BF37C18-6754-450D-BB75-4F6B25DAAAFA.jpeg

The Aircon units on the GP were scratchbuilt and then cast and the SD has been detailed with some 3D parts, renumbered and BNSF patched and weathered.
737BD976-CE29-4ACE-A8BB-AFB78BE612FD.jpeg

Then there’s a few cars I’ve weathered.
633B63B1-3ED9-4F3C-B747-5DBF7F2B93FD.jpeg

It’s quite a big plank ;)
F5491EF7-36DE-40F7-9826-95746028D858.jpeg

Reactions: Flying15
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
It needs to be!

I do like the green and white BN color-scheme.. :)

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I sold off all my 1/29 a few years ago but picked up the SD40-2 for a good price and then got the GP38 because they look so smart in Swoosh livery ;)
View attachment 270843

The Aircon units on the GP were scratchbuilt and then cast and the SD has been detailed with some 3D parts, renumbered and BNSF patched and weathered.
View attachment 270844

Then there’s a few cars I’ve weathered.
View attachment 270845

It’s quite a big plank ;)
View attachment 270846
Slippery slope Paul, with a small fleet definitely worth considering KD couplings. Oh you made a start, just a couple of the wagons to do I see.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

This Way Up
Slippery slope Paul, with a small fleet definitely worth considering KD couplings. Oh you made a start, just a couple of the wagons to do I see.
No I’ve got the full fleet already, it takes up too much space ;) 8 wagons and I’ve ordered the kadees, same as my HO stuff. With G it was tempting to use the USAtrains style hooked up to the lift bars but the springs are so strong it’s hard to couple up, this way they couple like the real thing and I’ll uncouple with a skewer by hand. I’m still undecided on eventually handbuilding the track.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
No I’ve got the full fleet already, it takes up too much space ;) 8 wagons and I’ve ordered the kadees, same as my HO stuff. With G it was tempting to use the USAtrains style hooked up to the lift bars but the springs are so strong it’s hard to couple up, this way they couple like the real thing and I’ll uncouple with a skewer by hand. I’m still undecided on eventually handbuilding the track.
Go for it, hand laid track is so satisfying and you will not have any of the issue that it has outside. Lovely wooden well scored sleepers nicely stained what a great thing to look forwards to.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

This Way Up
Apart from muggins hates building points! ;) I’m pondering on buying Peco G points and just resleepering them. The one advantage of handbuilding is I can lay them as shallow, lolly stick depth, sleepers and rough them up in situ then stain them before ballasting with mostly sand. It saves 5mm or so of filler adding weight everywhere. The other option is the Accucraft range but it doesn’t seem the #6 points are available yet.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Apart from muggins hates building points! ;) I’m pondering on buying Peco G points and just resleepering them. The one advantage of handbuilding is I can lay them as shallow, lolly stick depth, sleepers and rough them up in situ then stain them before ballasting with mostly sand. It saves 5mm or so of filler adding weight everywhere. The other option is the Accucraft range but it doesn’t seem the #6 points are available yet.
Hm you could look at Markway, though Copper Clad nice and low if you spec without fill to match Peco depth. Copper can be scored to look like wood. That corner is crying to be a double slip and just 1 more point. Probably as cost effective if you scratch the build rest of the plain track.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

This Way Up
A double slip is way too sophisticated for the usual industrial trackage ;) This is minimalist rough end of a spur in a industrial area. If I handbuild it it’ll be spiked as I’d want mostly real wood over trying to engrave copperclad, there might be one or two buried in the ballast for the point and curve.
There doesn’t seem to be much flat bottom rail available in code 200+ and the Peco G45 rail is the closest even though it’s a small base.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
A double slip is way too sophisticated for the usual industrial trackage ;) This is minimalist rough end of a spur in a industrial area. If I handbuild it it’ll be spiked as I’d want mostly real wood over trying to engrave copperclad, there might be one or two buried in the ballast for the point and curve.
There doesn’t seem to be much flat bottom rail available in code 200+ and the Peco G45 rail is the closest even though it’s a small base.
Peco ought to be spikable but where do you get the spikes? The peco ones for small scale just about cut it with Code 100 FB but in our scale....hm. Plus I reckon they would be way too small. Have to say unless you have or can get some Peco G45 points cheepo I would certainly baulk at cutting them up just for the bits. I know building points is a pain, heaven knows I have gone through the process in this and other scales but only 3!

As for Slips, never say never even on a backwoods branch Slips would likely be used where they could they save space, something I think you may be trying to maximise?

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

This Way Up
As for Slips, never say never even on a backwoods branch Slips would likely be used where they could they save space, something I think you may be trying to maximise?
Ah it’s not a branch though ;) it’s an industrial park and they tend to be spread out and spacious although passing through narrow canyons of buildings. I’m cramming it together as it is just to give an impression. I’ve done similar in my HO modules and I just fancied a big loco trundling around as a large size shunting puzzle :)

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Ah it’s not a branch though ;) it’s an industrial park and they tend to be spread out and spacious although passing through narrow canyons of buildings. I’m cramming it together as it is just to give an impression. I’ve done similar in my HO modules and I just fancied a big loco trundling around as a large size shunting puzzle :)
Remember such a concept in Model Rairoader I think with shunting being the key, lots of satisfaction to be gained with a nice big loco trundling a few wagons around all running to the perfection that is available with G. Looking forward to see how this develops, lots of Building Flats I would imagine.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
If there is.. "..lot's of building flats.."

Does that make it an East German layout?

Hat,
Coat,
Door...
;)

Reactions: PaulRhB
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
If there is.. "..lot's of building flats.."

Does that make it an East German layout?

Hat,
Coat,
Door...
;)
Quite

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

This Way Up
There will be buildings but probably about 50mm deep, I’ve got a load of foamex sheets cut to size. The idea was a couple of warehouses and on the outside of the curve a changeable industry. I’m thinking a scrapyard, pipe manufacturer or some sort of tank car unloading as I’ve got my eye on a couple of the USAtrains tanks.
So far I’ve got two covered hoppers, a coal hopper, gondola, three boxcars and a flatcar. 10 cars is the max though ;)

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I was only going to say the figures were well-defined .. :blush:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009