Batteries in Playmobil advice

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
My kids have a couple of Playmobil trains, one a vintage track power and the other a new freight set loco which is battery. I stick bog standard duracell in it and it is really frustrating for the kids as they get 5 mins from it before it starts slowing up. Maybe I should use a differnt type- I don't understand the science but I understand some batteries are chemically different. Thanks in advance for help.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Rechargables would be better, you could then swap one set out whilst one is in the charger

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Not really any more detail I can give. I am using Duracell from tesco so should be fine. I will keep experimenting. I may run it on the loop and time it when the kids aren't around. Maybe I am getting longer than I think...

I suggest some of the new NiMH rechargeables. I use the ones from Vapextech called "Instant" they last between 2 and 4 hours.

One point - are you taking the battery holder out of the loco when it's not in use? It is always on, so if you leave it in the loco, it will continue to drain the batteries when you put it away. Next time you take it out it will be flat.

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I use rechargeable batteries on my Playmobil exhibition layout.
They are 2500mah and lest about 2 to 3 hours. This can depend on it the train has light on it.
The problem with rechargeable batteries is as soon as they are charged they will slowly start to discharge. There is now a new type on sale that will hold there charge for longer. Even Playmobil recommend using rechargeable batteries.

Most none rechargeable are only 1000mah or less.
If you would like to talk to me send me an email with your telephone number.
Walter Turner

I should have said more clearly what I meant. The "new" rechargeables I mention are the NiMH+ variety which hold their charge for many months, so you can charge them and they will still work if you don't use the loco for a few weeks. I find it a bit frustrating to have to recharge batteries that are already charged, especially when my crystal ball lets me down and I don't realise I am going to have the urge to run a particular loco. Unless the NiMH are these new ones, they all lose their charge, some over a relatively short time scale.

Like megapixels in cameras, all the manufacturers seem to have been chasing bigger mAh numbers without too much thought about the actual use their product will have in the real world.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Wow i definately need to get some different batteries!