Bachmann Thomas and Friends

A

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
I was wondering if any one could shed some light on the rumours that Bachmann are going to stop producing Thomas and friends for g scale. My 2 year little boy loves trains and worships Thomas and friends so I am wondering if I should purchase the full range before they pull the plug and then the prices go up and people start selling them on ebay for silly money. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but Thomas got him into trains and he loves everything train now and much rather he be playing with trains than sat on a ipad etc. I had heard they were going to make a class 08 naughty diesel but that has all gone very quiet.

Thanks
Adam

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I think it's amazing the impact of those little books have had on our hobby. Who honestly doesn't like them, especially the original set, with their odd size and glossy colourful pages. Even with faces on the engines and stock,the pictures still give a good impression of railway life.

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
I was wondering if any one could shed some light on the rumours that Bachmann are going to stop producing Thomas and friends for g scale.
Adam
I've heard those rumours but I've also heard that they are false.
I suggest you keep an eye on Bachmann's American website e.g. Motive Power : Bachmann Trains Online Store

It would seem that the class 08 isn't due to be produced in the foreseeable future, if ever.

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

Model Railroader, Farmer, Pastry Cook
I'd been told by a forum member that it's true, but I can't recall when/where that was. I bought my Toby as soon as I heard the rumor (he was always my favorite engine). Looks like Ill have to kit-bash a Henrietta for him.
My suggestion is buy one or two of the locos to be safe.

It's too bad they never made a large scale Gordon or Henry. They'd have been fun to kit-bash into other locos. (I myself am hoping to build a Hall Class "Olton Hall" someday).

a98087

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
On the back cover Of the the latest g scale society magazine, grs has an advert stating that

“they had bought the last of Bachmanns stock, and no more was to made”

I think that’s how it’s read, can’t find the magazine to confirm it, but it didn’t look promising for the g scale Thomas’s range

Dan

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
On the back cover Of the the latest g scale society magazine, grs has an advert stating that

“they had bought the last of Bachmanns stock, and no more was to made”

I think that’s how it’s read, can’t find the magazine to confirm it, but it didn’t look promising for the g scale Thomas’s range

Dan
Yes - you are right. The back page advertisement of the Journal states "The end of the line for Thomas and Friends!" .

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
That's too bad. I thought the Thomas series were great sellers.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I have heard that it is not a correct statement in the GRS advert..

I will try to get a definitive answer, but it may take a little time..

A

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Thank you for your replies, I just don't want to miss out on them for my little boy but to buy all the Thomas and friends range would cost a fortune so if they are still in production no rush he has Thomas James and Percy . Just don't like the fact I wanted a class 66 and waited and waited and now on ebay they go for £600

trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
BakerJohn

BakerJohn

Model Railroader, Farmer, Pastry Cook
They don't seem to feature in Bachmann Europe's catalogue!
After a quick check on their website, some HO locos are sold out along with large scale Emily's coach & a troublesome truck. However, it's interesting that they would still have new products coming out if they are stopping the product line. They have three tankers in large sale in the website listed as Coming Soon.

trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
After a quick check on their website, some HO locos are sold out along with large scale Emily's coach & a troublesome truck. However, it's interesting that they would still have new products coming out if they are stopping the product line. They have three tankers in large sale in the website listed as Coming Soon.
It is strange really - maybe they think they have saturated the market place and that only 'new' items are commercially viable?

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
In the mean time, a break in the weather (group running session cancelled, again), and Thomas being topical, I got #4 out to watch #1 at work....

107934_a9196ac3b4b59cd4ddbc6db92c8bb34f.jpg

Bought this when his cousins were 10 years younger. Handy to have on hand.

Last edited: