Aristocraft points - motorising for dcc

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Welsh Valleys, near Newport
Best answers
Been searching for a while and came up zilch, so thought i'd better ask.

I have successfully motorized and fitted decoders to my LGB points, but i now wish to do a similar job on my Aristo points.

Anyone got any recomendations?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB point motors have a good reputation. They aren't perfect but are apparently better than most.
I also think they can be fitted to Aristo points without too much trouble, if so I suggest dealing with your Aristo points in the same manner as your LGB ones.

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
The LGB motors fit the AristoCraft points in exactly the same way as they do on LGB points. All screw holes etc are already there, you would almost think that AristoCraft had deliberately made them like that. ;)

Took me 2 minutes and I am not the most competent.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Are they currently manual or motorised, if motorised who makes the point motor?

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
muns said:
Are they currently manual or motorised, if motorised who makes the point motor?

Plain bog standard un motorized at the present.

Never thought that LGB would fit - but then never looked! Pays to ask doesn't it?:happy:

Clive Elesmore

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Best answers
I have both Aristocraft and LGB R1 points/switches/turnouts and though I have never put them side by side (they are stil NIB and following my switch to Peco shortly to be sold) I think they are essentially the same product. Only difference being in the manual switch lever.
I will look at them next time I am in the UK.

Clive

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
I have had LGB point motors on aristocraft points for two years now with ne'er a problem. My only additional comment would be about the manual switches which is, that in my experience, the Aristocraft ones are stronger and better than the LGB ones.
I might add, which has been commented on before, probably in GSM, is the problem/slight hiccup with the larger plastic frog on Aristocraft which causes occasional hesitation to my shorter 0-4-0 engines.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Aristocraft R1 uses the same mounting as all the LGB switch/points.

Other Aristocraft units need an adapter!!

For sure the 3 foot long switch/points needs an adapter for the EPL drive.

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
Ok that's the question sorted re the motors as mine are all radius 1 points i can use the LGB ones.

Think I know the answer to the next question but gonna ask anyway - just to make sure.

I have a number of spare stationary decoders - guagemaster and lenz that are now surplus to requirements on my indoor Ho layout. Am I correct in thinking these are compatible with the LGB MTS system?

I know they are not weatherproof but they could be housed in watertight boxes inside buildings. Any one used them or other manufacturers stationary decoders with MTS?