another ballast question

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
There is chicken grit and there is chicken grit. One has to make an effort to find suitably sized stuff. I am sure that if one looks closely at my pictures one could not say that that chicken grit is not too big. Yes the colour is not a good match but I will be attending to that.

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
On my layout, I've used Horicultural Grit which is less than 3mm.

However, my latest delivery was a 850 kg bag of 5mm sharp gravel, not what I ordered but it was too much hard work to get it collected.

I have now used the 5mm gravel as the base and I level the tracks with the 3mm grit. I reckon this looks about right and if you don't agree, i invoke Rule 8....

20200515_185033.jpg

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I have better stability problems with the sharper edged gravel, as the prototype railroads use. Yours looks a bit too rounded for my taste, I like the look, but the smoother edged stuff did not lock the track in place as well as the sharper edged stuff, again just as in the prototype. (I had the local home goods store change suppliers and found this out by direct experience).

I do see that your track "base" is pretty level, so I would wager you are not affected much if at all. My roadbed is elevated, and the inherent movement has the ballast "work away" off to the sides.

Greg

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I have better stability problems with the sharper edged gravel, as the prototype railroads use. Yours looks a bit too rounded for my taste, I like the look, but the smoother edged stuff did not lock the track in place as well as the sharper edged stuff, again just as in the prototype. (I had the local home goods store change suppliers and found this out by direct experience).

I do see that your track "base" is pretty level, so I would wager you are not affected much if at all. My roadbed is elevated, and the inherent movement has the ballast "work away" off to the sides.

Greg
The Horticultural Grit is sharp edged and does look much more prototypical, but as I mentioned, the last delivery of gravel was the wrong size.

However, returning it wasn't an option during these times of Covid, and I decided to use it for a sub-base.

I used the last of the 5 mm stuff this morning so any future ballasting will be with the 3 mm Grit I've recovered to use on the tracked areas....