Annie bash started.finished at last!!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This is a good read, do you have a drawing or photos you are working from or is it freelance.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have you widened the tender at all, Neil?

Or have you enlarged the cab without much widening?
Oh the tender Ian,I have not started that yet but next on the list,the Bachmann tender as is is not right for the loco as

1/sides are too low,
2/coal load too large,
3/width needs changing? Whole tender or just the frame?

So ,major work involved whatever I decide to do, complete new shell, or cut in half and widen, or quarter the body and widen and shorten , raise the sides and shorten the coal load, hungry irons too maybe, If I do decide to widen the body I have a spare tender body i can cut up to fill the gaps and as an easy fix I could convert it to an oil burner and so do away with the coal load altogether and base it on the Sumpter tender(ish)??????At the moment just not sure which way I`m going!!!!

As for the cab? I used rough measurements taken from the Connie so yes enlarged,it was the easy way to get the right sized cab, I suppose I should do a size comparison?;););););)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is a good read, do you have a drawing or photos you are working from or is it freelance.
Jimmy, No actual prototype,just really making it up as I go,saying that I have taken a few ideas from the no20,Rio Grande Southern 4 6 0 at the Colorado Railroad Museum,photos and videos on the net just to get an overall feel of the loco but yes its freelance. I will point out at this stage the "cap" on the stack is a large washer that fits the top perfectly but is it stayin`?:think:

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh the tender Ian,I have not started that yet but next on the list,the Bachmann tender as is is not right for the loco as

1/sides are too low,
2/coal load too large,
3/width needs changing? Whole tender or just the frame?

So ,major work involved whatever I decide to do, complete new shell, or cut in half and widen, or quarter the body and widen and shorten , raise the sides and shorten the coal load, hungry irons too maybe, If I do decide to widen the body I have a spare tender body i can cut up to fill the gaps and as an easy fix I could convert it to an oil burner and so do away with the coal load altogether and base it on the Sumpter tender(ish)??????At the moment just not sure which way I`m going!!!!

As for the cab? I used rough measurements taken from the Connie so yes enlarged,it was the easy way to get the right sized cab, I suppose I should do a size comparison?;););););)
I shied away from bashing an Annie tender - so one loco has a whale-back, 'cos they don;t need an awful lot of squaring up etc, and the other has a tender body shell from a K27 bought from Bachmann UK.

I't's good to cheat :p:p

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I shied away from bashing an Annie tender - so one loco has a whale-back, 'cos they don;t need an awful lot of squaring up etc, and the other has a tender body shell from a K27 bought from Bachmann UK.

I't's good to cheat :p:p
Yes its good to cheat but missing out on that fun of cutting,measuring,sticking ,glueing and adding all those rivets,pipes and bolt moldings?

I can see your point!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I pulled the tender apart last evening to take a look at what work would be involved and think its possible to bash,width,height and length all can be changed without loosing the stock sound system,time will tell when I start what mess I can make of it!!!!!!!!?;););):clap::tmi:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have started work on the tender and it threw a few problems at me as I went along,the plan was to change the height,width and length so 2 out of 3 is not bad,
I widened the frame and that work to be completed,then started cutting up the body,the length was shortened and too was the coal load in about equal parts,the problem was the width as I wanted to keep the standard sound,I had to move the switch and move the circuit board to one side and reposition one of the board pylons,then of course 4 wires fell off the switch terminals and needed soldering back.:swear: so I plan to keep the battery in its place after the bash is done ,,,,so decided to keep the width of the body as was.

All the old rivets and body molds then removed and the body parts rubbed down to remove most of the old paint and cleaned off,now how to rebuild,
I measured out some styrene sheet for both sides from the coal doors to the rear of the tender back leaving a join easy to cover later,using poly and super glues job done using the cut tender as a base after splicing the bits together giving me a new shell and raised in height by about 20mm,Rivet lines marked out and then gluing each one on one at a time,(riveting job that was).A few other details made such as a rear ladder and a spray of matt black thrown on the body only so next job is the chassis/frame to do and then back to the loco. pics are a little dark ..sorry!!

My excuse for the narrow tender, short haul and branch line workings with weight restrictions !!!!!:clap::clap:;):giggle:IMG_20211029_234417.jpgIMG_20211029_234623.jpgIMG_20211029_234638.jpgIMG_20211030_233815.jpgIMG_20211030_233804.jpgIMG_20211031_013309.jpgIMG_20211031_013641.jpgIMG_20211031_013317.jpg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry pics a little dark. Just an update on progress so far and almost there now,some more added such as,brake cylinder air tanks,very simple reverse motion,rear tender drawbar details,handrails now on,some more added to the backhead and bolt heads added to the cylinder fronts and backs.
The main job now is to finish the cab,some more pipework under the cab area to match up with the top then a IMG_20211106_160817.jpgIMG_20211106_153320.jpgIMG_20211106_153446.jpgIMG_20211106_153547.jpgIMG_20211106_153306.jpgIMG_20211106_153037.jpgIMG_20211106_153243.jpgIMG_20211106_153100.jpgcoat of satin black and then numbers and lettering.I have found a couple of figures that will probably end up as the crew as they fit but need a little work before fixing in.For the trim line along the tender frame I used 20thou strip and took any stray paint off with an emery board,thanks to SWMBO for a spare one!!!!Air hoses on the pilot and tender are heat shrink.Coupling to be changed to a knuckle type.I`m actually quite pleased with the way its turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just a little more done,the front cut bar supports have now been replaced with taller items so now the cut bar misses the boiler support bars,the cab now fitted on with 4 screws through the floor and so easily removed,under cab pipework now done a coat of black satin over the whole boiler,cab and tender,juat the cab interior to finish off and lettering to do now.;).I am also thinking of a drop plate between the engine and tender,some thought needed there as the tender wiring connection and sound switch is in the way on the rear of the loco,we`ll see what transpires?:think::think:IMG_20211107_142013.jpgIMG_20211107_142058.jpgIMG_20211107_142235.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been messing around and knocked up a drop plate between the loco and tender really just to hide the coupling if nothing else,some laminated plasticard the top being checker plate and some 2mm brass rod bent up to match the square plastic tube fixed to the loco,simple but it works,there is about 15mm of vertical movement at the rear of the plate so should allow plenty of allowance over rough track and grade changes and the weight of the rod holds the front in place,I left a little gap between the loco and the plate so the plate doesn`t foul the rear of the loco as it rises up and down,the cable for the sound system will have to be moved to stop any lift from the cable underneath and I may add a box "step" over the square cut out to hide the connector.I really wanted a wider profile but the tender body will foul it so as is will be fine,cab interior and crew to finish,more lettering on order.I had to take the pics in the kitchen as no light outside and besides it was rainin`:swear:;)IMG_20211110_162115.jpgIMG_20211110_162129.jpgIMG_20211110_162404.jpg

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some more done this morning,not much but while I was messin` about the postman delivered my ordered lettering so it would be rude of me not to start putting them on,only the cab sheet numbers that I was short of so now sorted.
I was actually making some cab seats up for the crew and doing a little modification add on the bottom of the pilot adding a strip and some detailing in the way of bolt heads as I wanted a heavier look overall,needs paint now and changed the rear coupling to a knuckle type.I also started to modify the crew figures and now the engineer is now the fireman and a new figure will be in the driving position,the problem being I wanted the engineer to have his hand on the throttle but the sitting figure would not allow enough arm length so a rethink and replacement sourced,with some heat to straighten the arm and then the hand cut off behind the glove and turned over it works fine on the new figure and the original idea now sorted,as for the fireman,he will be sitting checking the gauges on the boiler,the other thing I wanted was their arms to rest on the window that sorted too,both need painting and then fitting in.
To finish it off,just a few more details in the cab to put in and crew,whistle pull cord,fit the tender body and a new water hatch cover,finish off the lettering,some touching up the paint around the wheels and a coat of varnish to seal up the lettering and numbers and will call it done;);).IMG_20211111_135133.jpgIMG_20211111_135138.jpgIMG_20211111_135327.jpgIMG_20211111_135343.jpg

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got around to finish it off,,,,whistle rope on,water hatch on tender repaired and fitted,crew and cab interior now done with added wash down hose and some more hand wheels,the wheels and chassis touched up to smarten up and numbers and lettering finished on both sides,now ready for the Spring and running again,oops,just noticed cab handrail needs adjustment!!!!!at the moment no IMG_20211221_115526.jpgIMG_20211221_115722.jpgIMG_20211221_115548.jpgIMG_20211221_120010.jpgIMG_20211221_115735.jpgIMG_20211221_115829.jpgIMG_20211221_115913.jpgIMG_20211221_115939.jpgother projects in the pipeline or being worked on,,,,,,but there`s always next year?:think::clap:;);););)

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just a little more done,the front cut bar supports have now been replaced with taller items so now the cut bar misses the boiler support bars,the cab now fitted on with 4 screws through the floor and so easily removed,under cab pipework now done a coat of black satin over the whole boiler,cab and tender,juat the cab interior to finish off and lettering to do now.;).I am also thinking of a drop plate between the engine and tender,some thought needed there as the tender wiring connection and sound switch is in the way on the rear of the loco,we`ll see what transpires?:think::think:View attachment 292063View attachment 292064View attachment 292065
beutiful

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, that; top marks. It's given me the nudge to get my own bash finished now, though my workmanship won't be so fine! That new cab certainly gave you a lot more room to detail the interior.