ALERT -- Paints in pots with "Child proof lids"

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Hope this is the right section for this

A little while ago I bought a small bottle of hobby paint,
I wont name the brand, as I am sure the problem is not limited to just one brand

I made use of it replaced the lid & stored it in a basket with other enamel paints

for days I had a annoying smell of paint vapour, but as I had only been using acrylics, could not understand the source.

Then going to use another bottle in that container, I discovered the glass bottle with child proof lid on its side,
with a small amount had leaked out,

Picking up the bottle to wipe it off I discoverted that the bottle still was child proof, ie it still was as closed as the clicking mechanism allowed

So

CONCLUSION

if you have any bottles like this, it might be wise to ensure they CANNOT fall over on their SIDES

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
Good tip

819585676657470aa60c8729f31fea1b.jpg

Fun Pic:D

Reactions: 1 users

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:

I wont name the brand, as I am sure the problem is not limited to just one brand

I made use of it replaced the lid & stored it in a basket with other enamel paints

for days I had a annoying smell of paint vapour, but as I had only been using acrylics, could not understand the source.

Then going to use another bottle in that container, I discovered the glass bottle with child proof lid on its side,

Picking up the bottle to wipe it off I discoverted that the bottle still was child proof, ie it still was as closed as the clicking mechanism allowed

So

CONCLUSION

if you have any bottles like this, it might be wise to ensure they CANNOT fall over on their SIDES

I've got some Railmatch pots with child-proof lids. The paint has stuck the lids on so well i can't get them off. May have to resort to a large pair of mole-grips for a last-chance-single-use.

E

Elmtree Line

Love the picture :rofl: :rofl:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:

So

CONCLUSION

As the paint can leak out then the bottles cannot be airtight so the paint will go off in no time.
Not fit for purpose are they?

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Railmatch paints drive me mad because of that very reason.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Might be worth complaining to the manufacturer Don? Like Keith says, not fit for purpose + arguably, dangerous.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Might be worth complaining to the manufacturer Don? Like Keith says, not fit for purpose + arguably, dangerous.

Sells more paint though. :timeout:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
yes tht correct to complain about paint tins if they are wrongly make design,or not safe......i alway put the paint away in safe hiding place where kids cant use it and play with it..........
so i hate enamel,,,,it make me high!!!....alway use acryilla paint best...no smell,wash off with water,useful for any metals,wood,plastic.etc.........................................................................
if u or another members use enamels ..tht fine...depend what u want...........................
it the same as another tablets with child lock!!!!!!!............annoy...when open meself!!! lol......

Lowty1

Railways
26 Oct 2009
Rainhill
Best answers
Doug
I have come across the same problem with Railmatch paints. I have used a piece of sandpaper rough side wrapped around the lid and used brute force to remove the lid. Next time you use your paints I would recommend that you wipe arond the screw thread on the glass and top. I hope this is of help to you.

Regards
Tom

MAYBACH

Hydraulics, Motorhead, biscuits, cake, VW's
26 Oct 2009
Devon (HYDRAULIC COUNTRY)
Best answers
Country flag
Railmatch are very bad for that sticking top, but I have never had one leak! I try to look out for the jars with the old style tops without childproof mech, always clean the top of the jar and round the thread before re-fitting lid, if it sticks you can hold it upside down and give it 3 or 4 sharp bangs on the workbench and the lid will easily unscrew. I also keep the old simple lids for reusing on the newer type jars. You can also lever off the outside portion of the childproof lid to leave just a simple screw top on the jar.
Cheers
Rob

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
If I have a problem with a child proof top I normally find a child around who can usually open it without a problem. :thinking:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Bredebahn said:
If I have a problem with a child proof top I normally find a child around who can usually open it without a problem. :thinking:

It's the same programming the video. :-

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same problem recently with a bottle of Humbrol plastic cement.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
er!. you just picked up on a 7 year old thread!

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Still topical but I think he might have been referring to a 12 year old Single Malt :nerd:

Childproof or not, why do all the caps on my glues refuse to come off after a single use? And forget the pliers etc. as I just know what will hapen :swear:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
12 year old single malt never leaks around here - it doesn't get the chance!

Reactions: 2 users

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
It was only five year old malt when this topic started...

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Come to think of it I used to get a weekly bo**ocking for ruining my mum's teaspoons by removing the lids off Humbrol enamels. I think it was the fingerprints that gave me away. :banghead: