This was in an email sent by Accucraft.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.50.24 AM.png

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
That seems to indicate the main molds are made. We've been waiting a long time, so great that there seems progress, but those of us who have been around a while will not be holding our breath.

What concerns me more than anything is the trucks and drivetrain. In this scale, people run locos, not leave them on the shelf. A poor drivetrain will be a big issue.

Accucraft has not shared these details AFAIK

Greg

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
As I understand it, making the tooling for the body mouldings is the very expensive part of bringing a plastic loco into production. This news is therefore very good. As they will have made most of the investment for this model I'm sure they will be working hard to bring the completed loco to the marketplace as quickly as they can. Its fair to say that Accucraft haven't got a lot of experience of drive trucks for diesels. They do make an 0-6-0 diesel shunter. The chassis on the first version wasn't great; it worked well but it wasn't strong and the chassis didn't last well. The latest version of the same chassis is much improved and should last well which bodes well for this model. Whatever Accucraft do the drive trucks will last longer than the Aristo GP40 trucks which were very prone to failure. I suggest Accucraft should use the USA Trains power trucks as they are a well known and proven unit. The split gears on these units date back to early production and I can't recall a problem with the later production locos.

Anyway - I'll have a GP60M in warbonnet please!

Reactions: 1 user
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
As I understand it, making the tooling for the body mouldings is the very expensive part of bringing a plastic loco into production. This news is therefore very good. As they will have made most of the investment for this model I'm sure they will be working hard to bring the completed loco to the marketplace as quickly as they can. Its fair to say that Accucraft haven't got a lot of experience of drive trucks for diesels. They do make an 0-6-0 diesel shunter. The chassis on the first version wasn't great; it worked well but it wasn't strong and the chassis didn't last well. The latest version of the same chassis is much improved and should last well which bodes well for this model. Whatever Accucraft do the drive trucks will last longer than the Aristo GP40 trucks which were very prone to failure. I suggest Accucraft should use the USA Trains power trucks as they are a well known and proven unit. The split gears on these units date back to early production and I can't recall a problem with the later production locos.

Anyway - I'll have a GP60M in warbonnet please!
I'm not sure how much Accy UK talk to Accy US regarding manufacturing of the models. I haven't heard of any problems with the Accy Whitcombe diesel - although that's just a Bo-Bo with whizzy cranks :think::think:

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I think Chris might be referring to the abomination (chassis-wise) that is the Baguley Drewry?

<edit>
Actually, that is a little harsh.. The chassis is fine, it is the way the drive is transferred from the motor, that is not good..

PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I think Chris might be referring to the abomination (chassis-wise) that is the Baguley Drewry?

<edit>
Actually, that is a little harsh.. The chassis is fine, it is the way the drive is transferred from the motor, that is not good..

PhilP.
Yes, I think he was - which is why I drew the difference about US/UK. They had drive train issues with the IoM Viking as well, which was a bit of a shame.

Mind you, I think this is the first Accy US loco that isn't brass :think::think: I could be wrong :oops:

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Yebbut, that's Accy UK - they are separate entities
Yes, that's how I always understood it too - Accucraft UK, Accucraft USA and Accucraft Germany (MBV Schug) are all completely separate companies, each having their own design products all made in the same Chinese (?) factory....

Jon.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Chris:

The USAT axle problem exists today, never fixed, slightly improved.

There was nothing wrong with the actual truck castings or design in the Aristo GP40, they came with counterfeit motors that had inferior insulation on the motor winding wire which caused shorting in the motors. Replacing the motors solved the issue.

These are fine points, but don't use mistaken information to support conjecture about the Accucraft loco. I do hope if they copy any design, they do favor the USAT which had a more robust power pickup with the whiskers on the axles, pickup on axle tips and skates.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Chris:

The USAT axle problem exists today, never fixed, slightly improved.

There was nothing wrong with the actual truck castings or design in the Aristo GP40, they came with counterfeit motors that had inferior insulation on the motor winding wire which caused shorting in the motors. Replacing the motors solved the issue.

These are fine points, but don't use mistaken information to support conjecture about the Accucraft loco. I do hope if they copy any design, they do favor the USAT which had a more robust power pickup with the whiskers on the axles, pickup on axle tips and skates.

Greg
I've frequently commented on the fact that in this scale, manufacturers seem to ignore the split axle concept which, IMHO, could be used to advantage. If the bogie cross-members were of an insulating material, and if the bogie side-frames where metal (e.g. casting with bronze bearings) and the axles were split, then the pick-up could be through the wheel to the bearing without any need for wipers. (I'm ambivalent on skates - don't use 'em personally).

This method works well in the smaller scales, and I don't see why it wouldn't work well in large scale.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Rhino, the USAT locos do this with a brass/bronze bushing in the sideframe already.

In the "consumer" lines of locos, like USAT, Aristo, Bachmann, LGB, making metal sideframes is probably too expensive, to get great detail.

Also a negative is shorts from derailments will be more common/severe with the ability of a metal sideframe to sit down on a powered rail.

So I take it your comment means for other manufacturers to adopt the USAT practice on diesels?

Greg

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Rhino, the USAT locos do this with a brass/bronze bushing in the sideframe already.

In the "consumer" lines of locos, like USAT, Aristo, Bachmann, LGB, making metal sideframes is probably too expensive, to get great detail.

Also a negative is shorts from derailments will be more common/severe with the ability of a metal sideframe to sit down on a powered rail.

So I take it your comment means for other manufacturers to adopt the USAT practice on diesels?

Greg
In that case, yes :nod::nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I suppose it would be possible to put a plastic detail outer on a simple metal bogie side frame - in theory. However, my recollection of US diesels is that the frames are frequently of an open type construction (there's probably a name for it).

But hey, if USAT can do it, then the others could :nod::nod: if they wanted to :mm::mm:

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I agree, and first reports are that the GP60 is going to have similar blocks.

A prototype exists in their Bay Area (san francisco nearby) HQ, and a close friend has visited, talked to Bing's nephew, and seen the prototype.

Greg

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
I emailed Accucraft Uk to ask if they will be selling the GP60 and this is their reply:-

"Yes, the final UK RRP still has to be decided but is likely to be between £550 and £600 and we will be distributing them. Liveries as per the US news bulletin. Please let us know if you are interested.

Best wishes, Graham."

I guess it all depends on how large discounts are in the US but with postage being so high buying direct from Accucraft UK may be the most cost effective option. I see RLD Hobbies are quoting $519 for a non sound GP60M at the moment. Postage and VAT (= import duty) will put the total cost of buying one from them to well above the Accucraft UK price. And of course you get support from Accucraft UK if you have a problem whereas sending anything back to the States is going to be way too expensive.

But isn't it great that this loco is now actually progressing?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
"Yes, the final UK RRP still has to be decided but is likely to be between £550 and £600 and we will be distributing them. Liveries as per the US news bulletin. Please let us know if you are interested.
OK... Point me at the bulletin. - Or tell me what liveries it will be available in?
Please..

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I wonder if they'll do one like this? ;);)

7355a_sp-suffern-sd40r-clyde_king.jpg

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ