Accucraft Forney

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
<p>In my "research" to the pending purchase of my first live steamer the Accucraft Forney is currently in my dreams.</p><p>Guess she a fairly basic job, based on the Ruby family.</p><p>So the question is, has anyone got one and their thought's on it?</p><p> Picture is from Accucraft Trains www.accucraft.com</p><p> </p>

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Jason - now signing in as jisonga - has a Mimi, and has posted some good videos.

Don't know about steaming time etc though

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Looking at her John I'd say the cylinders and motion (which was one of the trouble spots on "Ruby") is the same as an Edrig etc- i.e. it shouldn't be a problem. I would imagine the boiler is larger too although I can't tell from that photo.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yup, those cylinders are straight edrig/cara/etc.....

Nice loco, first I have seen of it. The 'Mason Bogie' or 'Fairlie' to us!! seems to be getting all the press across the pond.

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
I wrote to Accucraft USA back in the summer and they told me the Forney would have 1/2" cylinders and a standard Ruby boiler. That seemed rather odd as the Ruby boiler is already quite small and the larger cylinders would surely have given very short run times. But maybe they've since changed that plan and opted for a larger boiler instead?? Had to tell from the photos.

Glen

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Hi John,
it is my belief that the forney is just a Ruby with cosmetic changes. The basic running gear is the same.

We have had a couple of Ruby's running at the club from time to time and they seem to do ok on level track and will only pull a couple of light coaches. Runs of about 15 minutes are acheived on level track.
If you have undulating track I would give serious consideration to saving up a few more dollars for something else.

A Regnar Lumberjack would look good as a timber tramway loco and would fit in well with the Dubs.

I have a brand new Ida (basically a Ruby with saddle tanks) which I purchased for a bashing job. If all goes well I hope to get it up and going by the next GSSU.

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Thanks Guys, food for thought. Didn't realise it wasn't yet full in production, explains why the shop listing are all "awaiting stock" or similar.

Mr Snail, yes Tag has told me something similar.

Will watch with interest, very tempted by the Lumberjack too, then I again I had some ideas for an Edrig, but the Forney has a colonial feel with the "normal" inside frames. Me indecisive, never :rofl:

E

Elmtree Line

Choo Chooo! :D

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
John, did you see the Colonialised Edrig that was in Garden Rail, then on eBay? I believe Philip on here has some photos as he knows the new owner.
Ron, having looked closer the motion and cylinders is defintely Edrig etc not Ruby- but the rest of it does look to be standard Ruby. So, small boiler I guess, which looks more scale but gives shorter run times. I don't think it'll have a problem producing steam to feed the big cylinders, but it will mean that a boilerful of water dissapears rapidly!

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yeah, it definately has the big cylinders, so should peform as well as an Edrig - but Matt's right about run time...might be a bit short.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Brian and Neil,
just dug my Ida out of the box and compared the cylinders with the pic of the forney and the forney cylinders do appear to be defintely larger.
The cylinder size was one of the biggest complaints with the Ruby type motion and there was someone suppling larger cylinders at on stage. (refer to mylargescale archive files)

The new Forney might not be so bad but like all things who wants to be first in. I would want to see a review on it when available.

Certainly worth looking at getting a couple of new cylinders for my Ida if they become available as spare parts.

Regarding Edrig, it was my first live steamer and was chosen after researching all of the available basic steamers including Ruby and Roundhouse basics.

I have been more than pleased with Edrig. I have never experienced any problems with the exception of a blocked jet, and that has happened at some stage on all my steamers.
Edrig is a powerful little puller although looking a bit on the lumpy side.
All sorts of mods have been done to them including colonialising, fitting cabs,etc,etc.

I get very good runs out of mine and some times tire of running and let somebody else have a go as I have also fitted two channel r/c to mine to allow it to negotiate uneven tracks.
In manual mode when it hits a gradient it will slow to a stop and just sit there until it builds up pressure again.

At our last AMRA open weekend I alternated between two steamers, Edrig and Lyn (aka 8A). I left my others at home. Both were in operation virtually continuously for the first day of the weekend as I was the only operator who turned up that day with live steam.

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
<p>Ah this is all giving me great food for thought. These are the speci's from the Accucraft site. Yep boiler 80cc same as Ruby. I do like the look of it though.</p><table width="690" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><u><font size="2" face="Arial">SPECIFICATIONS</font></u></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px">
</td> </tr> <tr><td style="height: 18px">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 16px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Scale/Gauge</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 16px"><font size="2" face="Arial">1:20.3 Scale/ 45mm Gauge</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Total Weight</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">2.7 kg, 4.6 lbs.</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Length</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">368.3mm, 14.5 in.</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Width</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">114.3mm, 4.5 in.</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 7px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Height</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 7px"><font size="2" face="Arial">152.4 mm, 6 in.</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Minimum Radius</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">1.2 M, 48 in.</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Valve Gear</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Simple eccentric</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Valves</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Piston valve</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Reversing</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Piston-valve reverser</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Fuel</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Butane</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Boiler</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Single flue</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Water Capacity</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">80 cc</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Working Pressure</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">40 PSI</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Fittings</font></td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px"><font size="2" face="Arial">Safety valve, water filler valve, throttle.</font></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 24%; height: 18px">
</td> <td style="width: 76%; height: 18px">
</td></tr></tbody></table><p> </p><p> Repeat after me... I must not look at steamie pictures :cool:</p>

JRinTawa

25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
<p>
tac - 30/11/2009 10:18 PM Dear Mr JRinTawa - 2.7kg is 5.94 lbs, not 4.6. And you never answered my question about Marcus Lush. tac www.ovgrs.org
</p><p> Hi tac, sorry, yes I rather like Marcus Lush's DVD's. He's done a good one on Antarctica too. He's not to everyone's taste but I like his dry humour.</p><p> As for the speci, that's an opps isn't it. Interesting too how it needs the wider radius, okay on the H&MGR mind. Guess that's to be expected with the Forney arrangement. Reckon I could have fun with it though. :D
</p><p> </p><p> </p>

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
There is one some 30 miles from where I am sitting in Saltash – although unfortunately damaged in transit. Hopefully will get a report on it shortly... It should function quite well given the cylinder size...

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
corgi - 28/11/2009 10:50 PM

I have been more than pleased with Edrig. I have never experienced any problems with the exception of a blocked jet, and that has happened at some stage on all my steamers.
Edrig is a powerful little puller although looking a bit on the lumpy side.
All sorts of mods have been done to them including colonialising, fitting cabs,etc,etc.

I get very good runs out of mine and some times tire of running and let somebody else have a go as I have also fitted two channel r/c to mine to allow it to negotiate uneven tracks.
In manual mode when it hits a gradient it will slow to a stop and just sit there until it builds up pressure again.

At our last AMRA open weekend I alternated between two steamers, Edrig and Lyn (aka 8A). I left my others at home. Both were in operation virtually continuously for the first day of the weekend as I was the only operator who turned up that day with live steam.

I have modified several Edrigs and have currently two different versions, one with a Baldrig bodyshell, working draincocks and steam whistle, the other with standard bodyshell (with cosmetic additions), the same working steam fittings as above but coal fired. Edrig, while as you say being a bit chunky, works very well and is excellent value for money. There is just so much one can do with one of these...

djacobsen

fishing, collecting pretty rocks then cutting & po
24 Oct 2009
Behind the Pine Curtain of East Texas.
Best answers
Dear Santa..
I have been a very good boy this year....
I would like an Accucraft 2 -4 - 4 Forney for Christmas.
Thank You.
Dave...

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Just received my latest shopping catalogue from a retailer in Sydney and he is showing the Forney's in either 0-4-4 or 2-4-4 for Au$999.

Apparently their cylinders are nor a retrofit for the earlier type Ruby's.