A rake of weathered log wagons

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
As it was a bit too hot for someone of my delicate complexion this afternoon and I seem to have spent most of the last month doing heavy stuff like digging and concreting, I decided to spend the afternoon in the workshop with my new airbrush. I've been meaning to make a proper job of this rake of wagons for some time and as they now spend all of their time sitting in my new private sidings, it only seemed right to go for it.

The rake consists of;
A Hartland bogie flat and..............

86433aac41d44ae4b59770047fea7b49.jpg

.... three LGB 4 wheelers.

fece8d6218ca4776a2fb3583b9652951.jpg

From a normal viewing position, the part of these wagons that you see most of is the load bed. So this is the bit that I put most effort in. The new airbrush is so precise that each individual plank can be painted errrrr ....... individually. I used various browns and khaki finished off with a very thin waft of dirty black (all Tamiya matt acrylics) which really bought out the moulded wood grain. The underframe and running gear was weathered with various shades of grey and a quick waft of dusty brown.

d98c26606ce7448897b650bd57014e29.jpg

I don't know where the idea to paint the stanchions red came from, but I've had it in mind for ages. Although the LGB ones look as if they're meant to be wooden, I decided that they'd been replaced by steel ones - the loading of many logs has damaged the paint leaving large patches of rust (mostly on the inside). Needless to say, Model Town Rust Dust has achieved this effect.

6aff469eb4dd473c9d53b1e19e534ef5.jpg

I'm not running these wagons at the moment as they are still fitted with plastic wheels which I have banned from use on the new WGLR. However, I will get some Bachmann sets soon and I'll take some pics of them out on the line. In the meantime they will sit in the private sidings with the rust getting worse and worse ............ or better and better depending on your point of view. :D

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice they look Mel :clap:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
very nicejob. its funny how one knows it's right to have that rust on the inside of the stanchions- but not really have identified why without u saying. clever stuff...

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
55.5 said:
Thhe first pic looks brilliant! Doing a bit myself on logging consists at the moment but I have to ask the question "Why would anyone want weathered logs?"

Makes better fire wood when it's seasoned :rofl:

Hat coat - door

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
You are getting to have a delicate touch matey.........................but not that delicate:rofl:

First class job there Mel, looks brilliant

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
very nice mate....

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Once again another brilliant weathering job:clap:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like the Master has been in the Grasshoppers shed to me :rofl:
N.B. the stanchions also have a wood grain effect, if you were a rivet counter (heaven forbid) you would have to sand them down, but I'm sure that on a recent search for summat else I came upon third party stanchions wth no grain, I wish I had found them sooner as the number of flat cars missing the goalposts (like 11 men we could name) was getting annoying. Of course I immediately forgot where I saw them. :rolleyes:

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
They look alright, I suppose.

;)