A new shop being built for Sycamore Creek

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

Here is the latest building that I am making, still some way to go, but the good weather has allowed me to take some photos – I grabbed the chance whilst I could!.

The plan is from my new book, with slight alterations: I think it will be an outfitters, though that is still not certain as the transfers still await some designing.

Built from 5mm thick PVC solid foam board, the front is a collection of several pieces, with the base for the windows and doors being from clear styrene CD cases, the rest of the front was assembled around that.

On top of those are bits of plasticard styrene sheet, for the detail, which ahs been painted whilst the front was still one piece. It was much easier that way.

At this stage the foundation slab was cut and marked out as to where to put he locating plastic angle pieces. The smaller piece of the flag that is left is going to be just the right width for a smaller shop which I have already decided is to be an Assay (of ore - has it got any gold/silver in it - or is plain old lead? ) shop/office.

The roof ridge is fitted, and at the back of the false front there are also a couple of scrap pieces (from when the back wall was cut), fitted to allow for gluing on the under roof pieces.

The outer roof will be either roofing felt shingles or corrugated iron. The B&Q plastic angle is now being cut for the corners and will be pre-painted before fixing.

Here are 3 photos of where the building is completed to so far - The first shows the front, taken from above, the sheet it is made from is a scrap sheet, so the inside has some old (and dirty) tape on that would not be removed - it will not matter as when the roof goes on it wil be hidden, and I paint my wimdows inside as well. The main shop windows will however need a proper display of some sort. I have an article on a display that should be helpful. The top of the false front is scored back & front for the planks, and then edged with plasticard strips and scrap bits used for the small brackets - to be added are some detail panels between the brackets, which will be the slate blue colour when done.

The rear of the false front is a dark red oxide, over dark brown to drop the brightness. In the corners of the top piece I have added some (ex larger can) metalpieces to close the gap against the weather.,

The second photo is of the rear of the building - note that the inside (rear) edges of the front windows has been painted - they were showing through the edges of them, when looking in from the front, and thus were painted a dark brown. The window bars are painted dark brown, then a dark 'Cardinal red or maroon, which as usual with such a colour looks quite dense, and is actuall quite the opposite: hence the dark brown first.

The final photo shows the lower cross piece to keep everything still - and a closer look at the extra stiffening in the corners.

More to follow -

Yours Peter.