Great trip round the line. And very helpful commentaries. :happy:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Country flag
Very absorbing - you don't notice the time passing. Loads of interest. Well done!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Many thanks for the kind comments of the Vid. Made it all worth while battling with iMovie. In the end I Googled it and found a better bit of Help from the Apple Site. Makes you wonder why I buy the Books!

Some more work has been carried out to Silberhutte. The Pipes have been installed now. Next to get this part of the line filled in and perhaps another Low Relief Building to the Right. I ended up using 15mm Plastic Pipe and Yorkshire Bends for the Pipework. Another Support made out of 1x1 Timber with some Plastic Filler to make it look concretish. With Rattle Grey Paint. The Top and Bottom have been sealed with Waterproof PVA. The pipe on the Building is the same, mounted into a Grey Rattle Can Top. What this building did in the old East German Days is anyones guess.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

While I was on a on a Roll Pipework wise, I decided to get my small River going. Here I have used Wicks 22mm Plastic Grey Pipe. My first ever use of Pushfit Plumbing and I have to say I am impressed. This was to be functional in that Water Passes Through to the River from the recirculating Tank. The pipe passes round the Station Building and as the line drops here a little fiddling was needed to make sure that the Pipe does so as well. It is Plumbed  up to a Small Solar Pump so only works when the Sun is out, but that does just fine for me. A few pictures of the installation.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Quite what the residents of the Cottage think about the Pipework at their front door is anyones guess. But in the old East Germany it was not wise to complain too loudly... Also I wonder what would be coming out of the Pipe into the River. Hmm well now it is only Rainwater.

That is about it all up to date now. But I guess that something more will be happening soon.
JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
The other day I was thinking of what to do with the former Ruschbahn Loco Shed that had adorned Carolstadt. As a Loco Shed it does not quite fit in with my line as it was built as a Long Single Roader to House the RHB 2-8-0 or 3 LGB Corpets. It had also got somewhat damaged in the recovery so I have been pondering on what it would be for a while. Eventually I hit on he idea of making it up into a 2 Story Factory unit. This could be put next the other buildings at Silberhutte to make even more East German.

The original Building was made out of Foam-board. Now this is not stuff that you associate with outdoor buildings. But Andy had quite a bit of success with the stuff. We were given a few sheets by a good friend that was living in Dodington, he recovered it from a friend in the village that somehow had liberated it from a skip. There were two kinds, one performed well outside the other did not. Now I wish that I could guide you to the correct stuff, but as the providence is somewhat unknown that is not possible. All I know is that with a construction of External PVA and strengthened by Household pins the original Shed survived intact for around 3 Years come Rain, Shine, Snow and Frost. The surface was Glued and Dry Sand Sifted on it then Spray Painted Grey. I have freshened this up somewhat on restoring the building and hacked it about to get the Building you see here. The Rood on The original Shed had been one of Andy`s developments. Clear Plastic Sheet with Gaffa Tape. I replicated this with a new small HIPS Roof. Oh and I also added a Couple of loading Docks with HIPS. HIPS being my now preferred medium. Though I have to say that there are issues with this in FULL sunlight. Here it does not get much sunlight as the Fence is to the South. So just some in the early morning.

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few other small Mods have been made to this area. As I have been learning about German Signaling a bit from the excellent German Railway Society book on the subject. I realised that some of my signals are on the wrong side of the line in Direction of Travel. They should be to the Right. There are of course exceptions to this and signs that allow for the Signals to be to the Left. However on this signal I decided that there could be a change so it has been re sighted. This means that Herr Whatshis face the Builder (Statue) of the line in Grey was moved to the other side of the line. He looks like he could do with a bit of a repaint and tickle repair too. He has also been recovered from the Ruschbahn as the Builder of that line. I must look to see what his name was. I have it somewhere.

JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
With the weather not being too good today I decided to have a go at a thorn in my side, namely Alexisbad Carriage Sidings a sort of Fiddle Yard. Note that the real Station in the Harz did not have such a facility.

I had a couple of Right Hand Train Line R2 Points in stock. Visiting Glendale to deliver some more of my surplus stock for sale, I had some money in hand from previous sales so I bought the Left Hand Train Line R2 Point that I needed for the Project. Pics showing LGB R1 dodgy in this area with the drop to the Workbench.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Having relaid all to R2, the Train Line Geometry gives a little advantage of space being slightly closer than LGB. Well worth remembering if you are tight for space. This Board is some Melamine just 1ft wide. I had to redo the Micro Switches on the existing points as they would have been in Compression for the Normal (Straight) Route here and I needed one on the New Point. Having done all that with some cutting and small sections of Track to do fill in sections all is now done. Pics as revised, note the different orientation of the Crossover. Will have to redo the Panel Signaling Diagram yet again!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am very happy with the revision, stock runs much smoother through the R2`s.JonD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 42

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
I have not posted to here for a while, that is not to say that nothing has been occurring. Plenty has. Just that the thought of hitting the ivories and sorting out the Brain Matter to write about what has been going on frankly does not appeal when the weather is conducive to Working in the Garden.

SILBERHUTTE PLATFORMS
This has been worrying me for some time. When the Station was on the Ruschbahn I had part done the Platforms. Andy sadly never completed detailing them up. Plexiglas had been used and as the Platforms had to be demolished to move the station to my Garden I had to redo them. Some spare Plexiglas came with it so it was time to toil on the same job. This time to completion.

image.jpg

The first pic shows the Plexiglass 5mm Sheet on the Workmate being cut to size. As you can see I used a Squalker to cut the Sheet. Doing both side quite deep then just bending it to break it off. A quick clean up with the file completes the job.

The only measurement that is vital if anyone wishes to follow in my footsteps is the between the Rail Measurement at 35mm. The platforms reading from Left to Right (1 to 3 Roads) are  100mm, 100mm and  90mm. The actual platforms are butted to the Rail and sit on the Peco Chairs. The 5mm Plexiglass being perfect in that it sits just below the Rail Height. In between the platforms it sits on the Sleepers and thus is a little lower. The next Picture shows the Test Fit.

image.jpg

The next stage is to Spray, I used Halfords Rattle Matt Grey, you could I guess use Matt black to represent Tarmac should you so desire. Andy covered his with fine Silica Sand, but I found that this sometimes made the platforms a bit on the High Side. It may work Ok on LGB or other Larger Rail Size installations. But again here I am using Peco. The while lot has been pinned into place with small Steel Nails.

I have extended the Platforms using some Black Material that came from who knows where. This stuff will not Glue so has to be pinned into place. It appears to be totally impervious to extremes of Sun etc. I put this here as there are Air Pipes below it that I may need access to. I am not keen on irrevocably hiding Operational items such as Wires and my Air lines for the points. The next Pic shows this and the other end of the Station together with an overall view.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A quick Spray with some Matt Black to represent Oil Leaks and the job is done. All that remains is to finish off the Ballasting up to the Platforms and in Road 3 at the Front.

LITTLE BRIDGE
Another little Job that was attended to this week was a small Bridge sort of thing. I had made a Mecanno bridge at my old line and it was kicking around in the Garden gathering even more rust. So I cut of the Bridgey looking bits, made them each 3 Units long, resprayed them and just screwed them onto Woodwork where the line towards the House passes over the Continuous Run. Not very elegant but it will do till a better solution comes along.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is it for now, but the Oil Depot at Silberhutte has seen some work today.
JonD

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Country flag
looking good, some great origian ideas/.. ???

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Silberhutte has moved on some more since my last posting. The good Summer has been great for Building and Operating, but not conducive to tickling of the Ivories.

The Oil Depot has been given some Unloading Facilities. In fact I got the concept from the July 2014 Model Railroader where there was a very nice little article on building a small Oil Dealership. Mine is somewhat larger than the one Stall Facility in that Article, having unloading facilities for 4 Tank Wagons.

- The Standpipes have been made from Plastic Sprue from Piko Kits, cut to shape.
- Oil Lines are 2.5 mm Heat-shrink heated on at the end. With some Mains Copper Wire stuffed in to maintain Shape and Position outside. The one for the Bogie Tank is somewhat Longer than the other 3, meaning that the Bogie Tank always needs to be marshalled for this Pipe! Oh and some Gloss Black to reflect careless spilage.
- Control Levers made from Mains Copper by winding on a Screwdriver, cutting out Rings and Soldering on the Cross Braces. Painted Red they look the part.
- The Building which acts as a Pump House has some more Standpipe and a Lever.
- The Proctective Fence is from a Piko or Pola Kit, can`t remember which.

Thats it really, except that I have done another Single Location in my Harzegerode for the one Tank that visits there and the Engine Shed at Gernrode. This one is for Diesel Fuel and a Location Standpipe still needs to be made for here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully the Pictures will fill in the gaps in my words.
JonD

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Some of you will have been following my Train Line Thread, however here is another link to the same full trip round my line.

http://youtu.be/8ntL_sW1mi8

JonD
Very good Jon. Enjoyed that ride. Always like to see how all the bits fit together. That's a fine long run you have there. I like the way you've used height to maximise the use of space.

Rik

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
I have recently been planting Telephone Poles, but that story will have to wait a bit. Thought that it was time to give some detail on my Operation Setup, more importantly Electrification and Signalling.

The line is intended to be Operated as a real Railway. Therefore Drivers walk around with a Massoth Radio Handset driving their Trains and setting Signals and Points predominantly for themselves. There are occasions when in a Station and another Train is booked to pass that they will pull off the Signal and Change Points for the other Passing Train. To enable this Signal Boxes are present at every Station, some have 2. This is for access and Operational Simplicity. So lets us go on a Trip with the Signals Inspector on his Monthly box Inspection.

GENRODE.
Start of the line from the `Tin Shed`, there are two Boxes here. Gernride East 3 Levers:-

image.jpg

This is in the Tin Shed and Mounted on an IKEA Coat Rack. It has just 3 Levers, one does the crossover and it has the Numbers 1a and 1b, this is so that if a Point Fails it can be Identified uniquely. This and the other conventions are used all over at every box. Points are Coloured Yellow on the Display and Numbered thus by the Lever. Siding identities are in a Circle on the Display, thus Road 6 can be seen to be the Front Locomotive Shed Road.

Gernrode West 4 Levers is outside of the Tin Shed and is effectively the Station and Marshalling Yard Area. It also has an Arrival Signal to deal with. Signal Levers are Red, also shown thus on the Diagrams.

image.jpg

The East and West Notation are only used to identify the Boxes and bear no reality to the Prototype, as does my Track Plan. There was just not space to make a true reflection of the real Gernrode. But mine can be Operated sufficiently well to allow the Right Trains to be set up, this is the most important consideration for me.

STERNHAUS HAFERFELD 2 Levers.
This is a pretty insignificant Location on the line in normal practice. Just the station and the Junction that sets up the Continuous Run. Never used under my normal Timetable Sessions. However there are a couple of Shunt Signals that can be used if needed. These are only workable when the continuous Run is set. This is done by Magdesprung.

image.jpg

MAGDESPRUNG 6 Levers
This is a well used passing point and has Signals for both ways. It also sets up the Junction for the Continuous Run. Note that the siding has a Capacity for 4 Wagons. These Capacities are worked out by the use of a Standard LGB Wagon. If the Shorter Play Wagons are used there can be perhaps an additional Wagon fitted in here, however Bogie Wagons are around 1.5 Wagon Units. This needs to be remembered when placing vehicles in the Sidings. In normal situations, little more than a couple of 4 Wheel Vans are to be found here.

image.jpg

ALEXISBAD HBF 6 Levers plus a Release.
This is just about the busies Station on the line and the 3 Through Roads reflect this. There are 3 Sidings for Goods. There is also a non existent on the Prototype Carriage Siding. In reality this acts as a Winter Fiddle Yard for me. But in Garden Railway Operations keeps a Reserve Carriage and can be used for Staging Through Wagons up to 4. The release for the Carriage Siding Panel is on the second row of Levers. These are the Air Feed to the Various Boxes on the Line. This can help with Isolating the occasional Air Problem to within a Single Box. Note that these Levers are Normally On in the Off Position except the Carriage Siding and the Test one which need to be Pulled to provide Air to the Box or the Line that is used on occasion for Testing Air Motors.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ALEXISBAD CARRIAGE SIDING 2 Levers
Simple Shunt Panel with no display, the layout is actually Shown on the Alexisbad Hbf diagram, released from ALEX CS Lever.

image.jpg

That is about all for now, onwards to the rest of the line next time. Battery is running low on the iPad.
Jond

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
SIGNALLING PART 2 of the Saga.
Whilst I have spoken about Alexisbad, there are a couple of additional Switches that I have not mentioned. These are located to the right of the Main Alexisbad and Control 2 of the 4 Electric Signals on the line. These are used to add to the Trapeztafel or "Stop you cannot come into the Shed" Signals. I installed these after an impulse buy at Glendale. 2 at the High Level and 2 at the Low Level entry to the shed. They work off The Digital Track Direct so were easy enough to set up. The Trapeztafel were re-engineered to be of Brass with White Spray Paint and Tape Coloured Detail as shown in the next Picture. This is of the South Entry to the Shed at the Low Level controlled by Stiege. The Switches that Control them Alexisbad are shown in the next pic:-

image.jpg

image.jpg

SILBERHUTTE WEST 9 Levers
This is the next Station in line and is possibly the most Complex in Box Terms. Having two panels to facilitate the extreme length of the Station, it also has a serious bit of Interlocking and Releasing. The West Panel is shown here:-

image.jpg

This operates all the Levers shown except 4 and 5 on the East Panel. Note that 4 on the West Panel has been renamed East Release and the Diagram is overdue for a Reprint. Indicated also after the removal of a siding that has been crudely Penned Out!

The Release perhaps need some explanation. This when pulled gives Air to the East Panel. Thus far so obvious, however the East Can Always Pull Lever 4 but not 5 as this is reliant on the Signal 1 not being pulled off.

The logic behind this Interlocking is that a Shunt Move can work on Sidings 4 and 4a with little effect on a train Arriving on the Main Line via Signal 1.

However a Shunt move to the Gravel Loader (Road 5) requires the Operator being at the East End and using the Main Line, thus Signal 1 being at Danger Protects any Arrival from such a Shunt.

SILBERHUTTE EAST 5 Levers
As explained above this has a Release via the West Box. The Red Line at the Bottom except on Lever 4 attempts to Highlight that Levers 1,2,3 and 5 require such a release to Work.

image.jpg

LINDENBURG 6 Levers
This is a fairly simple box and has no complexity other than the fact that Lever 5 is not connected to any Signal as yet. The Diagram is on the Wall of the Shed above the Track. This sometimes causes confusion, but it was the only place that I could fit it. Space for the 3 Tracks in this Station is very tight, as is the Arbour itself.

image.jpg

image.jpg

STIEGE 6 Levers
Finally we get to the end of the Line. This is used as a Station, but in effect is a Fiddle Yard. The Tracks at the Back (4 11 20 and 21) are only used for Storing Spare Coaching Stock, of which I probably have too many. The Through Line is always kept Empty so that should I wish to play Trains I can use the Continuous Run Via this Track. Thus Tracks 5 1 and 10 are always empty. Track 2 is used for the Block Trains and the Empty Hoppers plus Stock that would be at Lindernburg live in this Track. The other 4 Tracks are used for the Stock that comes and goes into Stiege. There are also the 2 Switches that control the two Trapeztafel are seen lurking just to the Left of the Panel:-

image.jpg

That just about completes the description of the Signalling of the line. If you have been able to plough through this missive on my Signalling and understand just the basics, you will be well equipped to be able to run the line if you would like to visit. There are a few more things that need to be done to complete the Signalling to German Standards. These are:-

L Posts, these indicate when to set the Bell Off.
P Posts, Whistle, sometimes one over the other meaning two Whistles
Ne4 Schachbretttafel Posts for where Signals are located in the Left rather than the normal Right of the Line
Speed Posts

When I get around to these I will report further, though not in detail about where they are (thank goodness I hear you say) just how I have constructed them!

JonD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
The final link in the Control Set up is Electrical Supply to the layout. Some of this may already have been said but i think it useful to repeat the complete story in one post.

CONTROL KIT.
I use DCC and have Massoth Kit with Radio Handsets. The Top of the line near the House is somewhat of a problem with this so I purchased one of the Extended Range RC Transmitter Replacements. This has sorted out all of my problems, so I have purchased another 3 to enable all of my Rc`s to work everywhere.

WIRING.
With having a largish layout, I like to have some kind of sectioning for Fault Finding. To this end I have set up a sort of Power District System. I do not have any need for additional Power so these are actually Sections in the normal Analogue meaning of the Term. Each section generally corresponds to a Station on the Line. There is a feed to each of these from a Central Control box located in the Shed. Each sections feed is then connected to EACH end of the Section. Sections are isolated predominantly with Massoth Isolating Joiners. But where Possible Peco ones are used where Track Changes from Peco to LGB Rail Profile. These changes in Track have proved very useful for Section Breaks. There are also Locations where Jumper Wires have been placed, this has got over the fact that some sections are very long indeed. All of my Track Joins have Massoth or Hillman Rail Joiners, I have to say that this helps considerably with Track Electrical Connectivity. In fact the only problems I have had are where I forgot to Tighten up the Clamps. These minor problems have only manifested themselves after some time. Some of the line has now been down around 18 Months now.

PANEL.
The next 2 Pictures show the Panel and the Diagram of the line. The Track Diagram as all been coloured on the diagram and the switches have also been Colour Coded with Isolating Tape. This helps to quickly orientate where a problem may be. In Operation if I get a Short all of the Switches are turned off. The Controller reset then each section is turned on one at a Time till the Short reappears. While doing this it is also worth while turning off the section that has been found, reset the Controller and try any that have not yet been tested. There could be a second problem. Since the line has been built I only have found a Couple of problems, one was where the Viaduct (made of ally) was Shorting out via the Screws under the Track on my Aristo 4ft Rad Curves. The other was where a Micro Switch for the Frog Polarity was not moving over correctly, thus causing a short when a Locomotive passed over the Frog. Being able to Switch off the Track and Test has proved so useful for any Fault Finding.

PROGRAMMING TRACK.
One of the Sidings at Stiege has been set up so that it can be used as a Programming Track. I have used a DPDT Switch to change between Track or Programming. I find it very useful to be able to Drive a Harz 2-10-2 onto this Track for any adjustments. As I am a belt and braces type of guy, I like to Turn the Track here Off before I go over to the Programming Mode.

image.jpg

image.jpg

JonD

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Country flag
This is fascinating stuff - thanks for posting the detail. How will the layout operate in practice ? Will signalmen control panels and drivers walk round with their trains obeying signals ? or do drivers walk around using the panels as they need them ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
Nicely done !!

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Country flag
Jon, you have done a great job describing how to build a nice layout. This could be a master class for some of us that are spreparing to build a new railway. Thank you.

:)

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Dtsteam. When we have a Timetable Session it is normally 3, but that can be 3 visitors and additionally myself to help out etc. the normal process is exactly as you say, A Driver walks around Driving his Train and setting Signals and Points for himself. Where Passing Movements occur, the first person at the Station where the Pass is scheduled becomes defacto Station Master and Signalman clearing Signals and Points for the other Train(s). If he has Station Work to do I.E. Attaching and Detaching Freight he has command of keeping the other train out of the Station by not pulling off the Arrival Signal. However he must take stock of the importance of keeping the Railway Moving too.

Next Year I will be experimenting with 4 Operators, 3 Driving Trains and the 4th acting as Mobile Shunter for Gernrode and Silberhutte. His duties will be to get Wagons in Place for the Next Train. To this effect he will have a Pilot at each Station. I currently have one of the LGB 0-6-0 Kof Diesels and am looking to get a new 4Wheel Kof as the second Pilot.

I would have liked to have the ability to have an SM, Signalman for each Station. However this is difficult in terms of getting the Bods who wish to Operate a Railway and the logistics of getting more than 2 People in the Shed where Alexisbad and Harzegerode are. Getting the interested Bods was a perpetual problem that we had on the Ruschbahn, so I have kept my requirements quite low for visitors. However if more than 4 wanted to come that was never the problem, just getting visitors to be able to Operate is the problem.

Many thanks for your comments guys, it does enthuse me to make more posts.
JonD

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Country flag
Thanks for the reply Jon. Its interesting to me because my mates prefer to work a station rather than stay attached to a train. In fact we've tried both in the last 10 years, but driving trains didn't work because you could see the railway in one go, and it got boring after a while. It works well for you because there is plenty of track to go at. What they've suggested this time round is more visual separation so when you are sat at a station thats more or less all you can see. It stems from the fact that most of us have operated a club layout spread across three rooms.

Have you a working timetable you can share with us ? and how do you deal with wagon movements ?

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
DT will certainly share the Timetable very soon, I need to think about how I put together a post on Operation. But quickly For Wagons I give each a Playing Card before the session, depending on the Card and Suit will depend on the Movement.
A-5 Remain Do not move
6-9 Move to Station A
10-K Move to Station B
This is a simple way of describing the way that Random Movements are made. Of course the Split of Cards and Destinations can is greater on my line. The Suites or Colours can be used for Urgency or even to define a Train. I tend to use Red for Today Black for Tomorrow or Next Ops Session. I have also just in the last week or two built up Wagon Cards and Waybills as the Americans do. I still use the playing cards to define the movements though.

Hope this helps a bit, if you are close to Cambs why not pop round for an Op Session?

I can see how a session with People at a Station can work, that is how we used to run the Ruschbahn.more than happy to help out if I can.
JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
So following DT`s request I started to rough out how my line is run. But it turned into a general How To run a Railway thing. So as I feel that may be appropriate as another thread, I have started this reply again.

First what I am trying to replicate is the Selketalbahn in roughly Feb 1981 when I visited the line on my own. I was captivated by Alexisbad and its Double Departures. So this was the basis of my line. I have a Timetable for Summer 1974 and although this is some time out of my Timeframe, the basics changed little between that date and the date of my visit.

The line ran from Gernrode to StrasBerg with a Branch from Alexisbad to Harzegerode. The link to Stiege which would allow running to Hasselfelde and Eisenfelder Talmhule had not yet been rebuilt. However for the purposes of my line as it evolved during construction, I have assumed that this link is in place. This allows me to run my 2 Block Trains from Silberhutte to Stiege where it is assumed that new power comes onto the Train to take them on to Nordhausen on the Trans Harz. This also allows me to run the 2-10-2`s as they were unable to get to the Selketalbahn at the time of my visit.

So I had done a Timetable and it was run for the first time with 3 guests in May this year, on my birthday actually. A few things became apparent from this day, not all Trains visited each part of the line. Plus the Shed became somewhat congested with more than 2 Operators present.This was something that needed to be addressed. So a recast was carried out and it is this recast that will be described. It is very heavily based on the real Timetable but not a slavish copy.

The first draft was roughed out on a small piece of paper on a Train Journey. Later on it was drawn as a sensible Graph on Squared Paper. This can be seen in the first 2 pictures. There are 3 workings on the line Red Green and Yellow. On the Graph these have been overdrawn with a Highlighter. Trains run are either Passenger (144nn odd for Down and Even for up) and Mixed (697nn). The graph is timed and each square represents a minute in real time. But using a Fast 12 times clock each square represents 12 Minutes Real Time. Thus a Train from Gernrode to Alexisabad takes 3 minutes with a brief halt at Magdesprung (36 minutes fast time) compared to about 57 minutes on he real thing. But that is with 5 Stops. I could I suppose run as per the real thing with my fast clock. One day I may recast the TT to do just that. However the full trip from Gernrode to Stiege is timed for 8 Minutes without stops so I think that this is about right.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As you can see from this Graph, there are lots of rough notes and alterations. Plus the Circles represent Passing Movements which are vital as if these are not properly represented on the simplifier well Corn Field Meets comes to mind. This graph is then made into a Timetable, I do these in Excell note again some scribbles and notes for the Mail Vans (A2MV) etc. I decided that the Passenger Trains needed some interest so there are 5 Mail Vans flying around the line. The timetable as you can see runs from 0600 to 2024 around 1 Hour 15 Minutes in real time. This equates to the 1974 version which ran from 0545 to 2001. The next picture is the Timetable:-

image.jpg

So having got my Timetable I needed to work out what Goods Traffic would be carried. Research and observation revealed that there was a Flourspar Factory at Strassberg (renamed to its original Lindenburg on my line), Motor Car Engines from Harzegerode with Ally Ingots Loaded in. Silberhutte had Coal for the Power Station, this was to re represented by Rollblock Working, but as I have inherited an Oil Train from the Ruschbahn this is now worked from Stiege. The other Block Train of Stone also works from Silberhutte Loads out to Stiege and Empty Return. Plus odd vans, Timber, Logs to the Wood Factory at Silberhutte and Coal to misc locations.

I make the Wagons move (except the Block Trains) in a random way by dealing a Playing Card prior to each Running Session. As related in my previous post. The Matrix for this is quite complex as each type of Wagon has a Logical Destination and Traffic to carry. For instance Open Wagons can be loaded with Coal, Flourspar, Logs, Cut Timber, Barrels, Pipes, Scrap and even Scrap Timber. So the where will a Wagon go and when is all decided by the Random Picking of a Card. The actual mixed Train working is shown on the next picture. Some of the Workings are well defined in that they become Block Mixeds for the Oil and Hopers between Silberhutte and Stiegs. However they are general Mixed Trains to Silberhutte from the Alexisbad direction. There is currently just one General Mixed a Day to Stiege. But as this is only one Coach it is not Load restricted between Stiege and Silberhutte as are all the other Mixed`s. These can only take 3 Wagons due to the limitations of space at Gernrode. A further bit of interest was added to the Block Trains in that they have their own Carriage. The full set of 2 Coaches and a Riding Van would be just too much of a Train with either the Oil, Mixed or Hoper Train. So the Set is left behind at Sikberhutte and the Green Coach added. This makes things easier and is explained by the fact that these trains have their own Coach is that the Guard likes his Special Coach. Plus it also means that the unwary Passenger must change Coaches on the same Train. I have had this happen to me in East Germany. Most confusing, but the friendly Locals who knew the score always helped me out.

image.jpg

Having dealt my Cards I use the Matrix to define what service will take what wagons. The suite and Colour will tend to help in this as I define Red Cards to be mire urgent than Black Cards. Though I do have to think about keeping Lindenburg well supplied with empty Opens for Loading Flourspar Traffic.

Finally a Simplifier of Drivers Schedule is Printed out for each of the 3 Turns in the line. The next Picture shows an Example of one. Note that the Wagon Workings are shown on this as well as places where Meets or Passing Moves MUST take place. At the pre Operating Briefing that I give, this is stressed very highly as I do not want a Couple of Thousand Quids worth of Trains come Crashing to the Concrete Paths!

The drivers are quite busy, signalling, driving and shunting their Trains. However I always make the point that it should be enjoyable and to that end the Clock is never running. Also if a Train is slow to a meet and the Operator is hanging about waiting I suggest going to help out perhaps uncoupling or changing points to assist the slower worker. This I find helps out enormously. So here finally is the Drivers Simplifier:-

image.jpg

This may seem like a long tome about what on the face of it is a simple subject and yes I used to work on the real Railway. Both Timetabling, Wagon Movements and Tops were some of my jobs. So perhaps the reasons for my interest may now become clear.

If any of this appears to be poorly described, please let me know and I will try to amplify for you.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
That has explained a lot about the frenetic workings I sometimes see at model railways.. :) ;) :D
Much better than the 'real-time' model at Warley last year.. A train crossed the model. The next was due 45 minutes later!! ??? ::)
I also see that this can give some structure to a session, though it does require all to play nicely and co-operate.

I fear I am still very much at the 'just playing trains' stage.. :-[
Though now we have joined-up the end of the Harz layout, I suppose we will have to come up with 'something' of a time-table, else we will just end up shouting at each other from opposite ends of the room!!

The 'operation' of a layout is not something I had given a lot of thought too. I suppose this is based on thinking of a loop layout, where things can 'just' go round and round.